wind mirror has been taken off

• Creator
    Topic
  • #161180 Reply
    jimmy

Came out to my car this morning and my wing mirror is hanging another car has clipped it over the night do ring motability or Volkswagen and will I have to pay excess? I can’t afford to pay the excess at the moment so if they do try to charge me do I have to pay it right away or can I pay later.

• This topic was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by joss. Reason: changed windmirror to wing mirror
Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #161184 Reply
    Newbie1892

Sorry to hear about your news, I can think of two options :

1) if car is due a service they will then note that car has a busted wing mirror, if service isn’t for a long time then you could put off replacement until service.

2) go on eBay, or google car breakers and see if you can pick up a good one in the same colour and fit it yourself, will save you money than having to pay 100 excess, and if it has a couple of minor scratches on it you shouldn’t lose your good condition bonus come the end of the lease.

do you have cctv or do any of your neighbours have cctv that caught the little sod swipe it off?

#161185 Reply
    Pswoff
    Participant

It could have been worse, it could have been your WING mirror.

#161187 Reply
    joss

@jimmy

What car do you have jimmy ? are your wing mirrors auto folding ? If you would be struggling to afford the £100 excess let motability/RSAM know, and see what they suggest.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#161188 Reply
    crispy

A few years ago I knocked my wing mirror off on a gate post, reversing on driveway at night, The replacement was £95 and I replaced it myself. Maybe £100 excess is worth paying. I’m sure it would be more than that to replace one now.

#161192 Reply
    Tim

Exactly Crispy, especially so if auto folding

#161195 Reply
    garry
    Participant

If the glass isn’t broke, then gaffer tape or similar will usually hold it securely enough in place.

Until you get enough time to save up for the excess.

Worked for me for several months on a Renault Scenic I once had.

Just wrapped the tape around the stem bracket

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by garry.
    #161287 Reply
    Adam
    Participant

what car is it and colour

As others have said just get one from a car breakers

#161300 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

As others have said…   getting one from a breakers is not a practical solution because even if one could be found it’s likely to cost more than the £100 excess the OP is trying to avoid, the OP would need the tools and knowledge to fit it, and I suspect Motability if they knew wouldn’t approve of the OP replacing parts on their car.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: wind mirror has been taken off
Your information: