Why you shouldn’t buy an EV

• Creator
    Topic
  • #163482 Reply
    Windy
    Participant

Well we have had our EV for 4 days now, and it’s time to reflect back to all the reasons why we shouldn’t buy one.

I must stress I am the carer not recipient of Motability but the sole driver and we have been in this situation some  38 years so a bit of experience. Anyway I digress firstly we live rurally so everything led us to believe that an EV was wrong we need heaps of space in boot so an EV was wrong, we need a huge range so an EV was wrong. But we find running an ice extremely expensive, so much we could just about afford to keep it parked outside that’s around £30 per week to cover shopping doctors hospitals etc but no leisure miles.

our previous vehicle was 180 Bhp diesel dsg with a 0 to 60 of 9 seconds and a fuel tank that would take you 750 miles. We now have a 135 bhp electric with a 0 to 60 of 13 seconds and a range of 140 miles. So we took it with absolute fear and in-trepidation, how will we manage how do you even pull out of a turning at that speed will we survive oh I should mention it has a top speed of 84 imagine that back to 2cv days.

well we needed not worry it has 3 modes Power standard and eco. I am only driving it in eco we are already getting 3 miles per kWh it seats 8 holds a massive wheelchair and is like driving an armchair including the armrests, we have no range anxiety as the sat nav continuously tells us where the chargers are even though as yet we haven’t used one, 0 to 60 may be slow but even in eco mode 0 to 40 shows any following vehicle your dust so no danger of being in the way. But more importantly the cost allows us to go out without concern we have travelled 400 miles so far this week whereas we averaged only 119 miles per week in the last vehicle due to money anxiety.

so if you have doubts about EV don’t. I am not a subscriber to it saving the planet however it definitely is clean from an emissions point of view, (after it’s been through the manufacturing process) which means the air in our cities and streets will become fresher over time and kids may be healthier it’s a least something. If we all do nothing then nothing is the result so may as well try something.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #163484 Reply
    Stuart
    Participant

Really glad your liking it, once you adjust as you have the benefits far out way any disadvantages if indeed there are any.

Love mine and i will never revert to the cost of buying fuel ever again.

----------------------------
    KIA Soul EV First Edition
    Scale modeller in my spare time

#163487 Reply
    Speedy James

2600 miles completed in my MG ZS EV in three months. No complaints. No height adjustment on the passenger seat has proved tricky getting in and out occasionally but otherwise really can’t fault it.

#163488 Reply
    Windy
    Participant

Speedy James I am not the disabled one but it’s so high I keep falling out of the door I am only 5’6 and haven’t mastered the step yet lol

#163506 Reply
    Speedy James

Hopefully practice will make perfect

#163508 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

Very good post. Lots of detail and as important, your own thoughts and feelings about EV’s.

#163511 Reply
    Sue

My concern is a major one, I can’t charge an EV as I don’t have a driveway.

#163513 Reply
    Windy
    Participant

Sue we were told we couldn’t have one as we don’t have driveway either but we got one fitted at the end of the communal grass area

#163521 Reply
    Sue

Unfortunately that option wouldn’t be available for me and without the means of charging a car, an EV is not a viable option.

#163528 Reply
    Ian

30000 miles in my ev now, apart the range being slightly short, I love it.

#163532 Reply
    Georgie

“the air in our cities and streets will become fresher over time and kids may be healthier it’s a least something” ; “once you adjust as you have the benefits far out way any disadvantages if indeed there are any”

There is this simple Question that Green Crusaders invariably sweep under the carpet – Exactly who are we ‘Saving the Planet’ for, exactly?  None of these poor buggers are going to be living in Solar powered homes, driving electric cars or owning a mobile ‘phone . . .

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jan/03/child-labour-toxic-leaks-the-price-we-could-pay-for-a-greener-future

• This reply was modified 11 months, 2 weeks ago by wmcforum. Reason: removed link behind paywall
    #163534 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

” There is this simple Question that Green Crusaders invariably sweep under the carpet – Exactly who are we ‘Saving the Planet’ for, exactly? None of these poor buggers are going to be living in Solar powered homes, driving electric cars or owning a mobile ‘phone . .

Georgie,

Just because someone chooses to drive an electric car does not make them a ‘Green Crusader’, your post seems at odds to this thread. The working conditions for the miners of Cobalt in DRC is shameful but is that not a whole different discussion?

#163539 Reply
    ajn

Slightly more than shameful..🤨

#163549 Reply
    Georgie

Just wondering what the rationale is, that’s all.  Boris in urging the UK to adopt electric vehicles asap while cutting Overseas Aid.  The British people en masse seem to be happy with this.

So what is the ‘acceptable’ answer to the question – How many poor brown people can die now to ‘save’ one comparatively wealthy white person in the future?  3?  10?  50?  1,000?

#163551 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

It’s not Boris and the UK, it is the world. The major use of cobalt goes into mobile phones, tablets and laptops all of which have been transformative for the whole of the world particularly Africa.

#163557 Reply
    Rene

Yeah, gotta love the rationale of “poor brown people dying so we can drive electric”, being typed on phones, PCs etc where apparently the same issue doesn’t apply.

I’m very simple, and i bet the vast majority  are the same, apart from the usual virtue signalling. The shirt is nearer than the coat – it’s not my job to make sure people thousands of miles away live in luxury while our own poor have trouble putting food on the table.

Very certainly i’m not blind enough to argue that others are the problem, trying to grab moral high ground, while being not an iota better than the people i’m whining about.

#163561 Reply
    ajn

The UK will not save the earth, it’s a Worldwide problem, so moral high grounds and grabbing have many examples, and the easiest thing to to use point them out..

#163562 Reply
    ajn

<p style=”text-align: left;”>*to do is to point them out,</p>

#164068 Reply
    sif

‘it’s not my job to make sure people thousands of miles away live in luxury while our own poor have trouble putting food on the table’

Yeah you certainly got The Yemeni’s, Sub-Saharans, Lybyans and Iraqi’s pegged. And as for those Haitians, did you know there are more Billionaires on Haiti, than in all the rest of the world put together. Certainly not your business, don’t you know every man is an island, and don’t forget to keep asking about that tolling bell.

Of course Britain built its wealth on exploiting everyone else they could. Ever heard of the Opium wars? I am not bothered by that, but then I don’t go around skewing arguments about zillions of kids dying of starvation whilst living in the most obese country in Europe and second in the world only to the Americans. Base your case on something more substantial than the Sun or the Mail rabid dislike of anyone not white or English.

#164104 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Funny you should mention the opium wars, sif, and then say you’re not bothered by that. Why mention them? In fact they they are a very interesting period of history and well worth reading about in some detail.  Without doubt Britain took an immoral position, even by standards of the day, but what you call exploitation was what every nation did if it could, and of course many nations still do.

Nothing to do with buying an EV though..

#164110 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

That’s capitalism. To argue that there’s a “nice” version of capitalism is just being detached from reality.

I don’t know why he’s attacking me in the first place, if people rather lie to themselves that’s okay by me – but don’t bother me then. And as a sidenote, he’s correct – it’s not my business. I’m not responsible for every poor person in the world, and for it all to work out, some will and do grab the short stick. If you come up with a solution to everything (keeping in mind that even hydrogen cars require copious amounts of cobalt, lithium etc) from “rescuing the planet” to “rescuing the poor brown people” (btw, “poor brown people” isn’t my choice of words, i’m repeating what someone else said) etc, let the UN know. People much smarter than you and me haven’t figured that one out yet.

And, lastly, i’m a guardian reader. I also am an immigrant. So that Sun/Mail suggestion was a dud.

That hypocrisy is just lame, to be honest. The only difference between me and virtue signalers is that i, contrary to them, accept that others don’t have it as good as i do, purely to make my life better. From cell phone to PC (to the point where they have nets around the roofs of factories where cell phones are built to prevent people killing themselves), cars, etc pp – nobody cares until they can score a point in an internet argument. Difference being, i don’t have the need to score that point, so i don’t need to pretend.

Current: SEAT Ateca Xcellence Lux 1.5 TSI DSG MY19
    On Order: VW Golf GTE PHEV DSG MY23

#164113 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

Sadly this thread has drifted completely off topic and the latter posts offer little or no insight into the pro’s and con’s of electrically powered vehicles.

• This reply was modified 11 months, 1 week ago by fwippers.
    #164116 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

That is indeed correct, i apologise – that was the last posting by me on that topic.

EVs are great, though. If only i could get over my range anxiety.

#164133 Reply
    Windy

Hi Rene I must admit I don’t understand the range anxiety I suppose it depends on your age but I remember getting a £1 of fuel in a car with no working fuel gauge now that was anxiety, thing is where we live we would always have to have a quantity of fuel to go get fuel. So this week we did something different we didn’t charge car fully so had about 90 miles decided to visit Chirk Castle approx 35 miles away well we arrived with 50 miles, went in, would you like to use our charger by the pig sty it’s free I was told, so left Chirk with 90 miles, on the way home I suggested stop at Aldi for a nice bottle of gin arrived with 64 miles and guess what free chargers left with 80 miles and a bottle of gin ( I did pay for that honest) Arrived home with 72 miles after a lovely day out, it’s a different way of travelling don’t be anxious about range I bet I have shortest range on this forum. But already not sure I really need more maybe 50 miles extra would be good but remember more range means more charging at hone and more cost so you have to weigh it up anyway today 804 miles total cost £9.30

#164147 Reply
    file28
    Participant

@Windy

Hope you had a good day out at Castell Y Waun nice to hear the NT have free charging available

Quite often pop up to my local castle myself 

"the world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams-its heaven and hell "(RJD)
    Seat Ateca FR Black Edition 2.0tsi 190 dsg 4drive Nevada White

#164148 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

This is actually valuable input – i don’t know where my range anxiety comes from. In fact, i know it’s stupid, since the furthest hospital that we have to visit frequently is only 40 miles away, so 80 miles in total – that should be possible even in winter with the lower range models.

It’s the.. “what if” that genuinely psychologically blocks me. What if there’s an emergency and the car isn’t charged. What if we want to drive to Tenby spontaneously (never happened, but: “you never know”), and there’s no charger available down there (200 mile journey one way, so would have to charge somewhere)?

Etc. I know it’s stupid. It genuinely is. We’ll see..

edit: a fellow Ateca “owner”. 🙂

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
Reply To: Reply #163484 in Why you shouldn’t buy an EV
Your information: