Who’s to blame for the AP increase.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #165591 Reply
    Fastbike1000
    Participant

Who’s to blame for the AP increase?

1 Is it the manufacturers? Are the manufacturers giving motability less discount? Are the manufacturers trying to suppress motability customers?

2 Is it motability. Are motability increasing the AP to offset new leases or extended leasrs? Are motability trying to make more profits?

What are your thoughts?

Viewing 15 replies - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #165677 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

to me manufacturers are part of the problem along with a demanding clientel, more and more gadgets and techy bits are being added inflating the price of cars. and as people see these new toys they demand more and more, they dont come free.

i need a high seat easy to get in and out and an auto gearbox and on board satnav my phone gets switched off in the car. i prefer knobs and buttons and have great difficulty using touchy feel screens. so the tech that is getting added more and more effectively removes that choice from me as i cant use it.

the problem is that gradually even the base model of some cars become unusable to me due to the touchy feely stuff.

i dont need the car to brake for me, ive been able to press a brake peddle for 40 years i dont need a computer to tell me not to run over that idiot pedestrian thats just stepped out in front of me cos hes got his phone blaring music in is earpods and hes busy texting his nan.

the list goes on forever, if mini do away with their knobs and dials i will be reduced to having to leave the scheme and get an older car.

#165679 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

I don’t think Motability are to blame and the fingers should point to the manufactures?

Looking at the increases from the VAG stable these have gone through the roof. It’s well know to all here that the VAG can’t be bothered with Motability under the current climate and is why they withdrew a lot of their cars in Q3. Now some are back with extortionate AP’s so its kind of like saying “we don’t want to sell cars to Motability but as were under pressure from Motability to put the cars back on here’s our inflated AP’s, take it or leave it”.

Over the past month or so I’ve closely monitored retail prices for particular models from VW and Ford and while there have been increases of a few percent they don’t relate in anyway to the percentage increase we’re seeing in the AP’s.

These inflated AP’s relate to VAG cars as Ford AP prices have been stable for their cars that I monitor with no increases or slight inflationary increases in Q4.

Don’t know about other manufactures other than VAG and Ford but are they pulling the wool or are they like Ford, being reasonable…. or, is it just the models I’m looking at.

#165681 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

Traditional buttons for me are preferable to scrolling through a touchscreen.  And safer.

#165683 Reply
    Warkman

I’m afraid it’s not in the majority, the manufacturers fault. Asking them more techs, rather governments increasing the requirements.

for example, it’s the EU that are requiring blind spot monitoring and auto anti collision braking to be added to cars.

the size and weights have been increased to meet NCAP crash safety in clouding pedestrian impact requiring the bonnet to be either plenty of space underneath or the bonnet rises when impact is detected, so pedestrians head doesn’t hit anything hard.

driverless cars are a manufacturers fault, but that’s because Tesla are pushing it and others need to keep up with them

im afraid that the majority buying/leasing cars today are the iPhone generation and want the car to perform like their phone

#165688 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

for example, it’s the EU that are requiring blind spot monitoring and auto anti collision braking to be added to cars.

Good. Wouldn’t want to miss either.

the size and weights have been increased to meet NCAP crash safety in clouding pedestrian impact requiring the bonnet to be either plenty of space underneath or the bonnet rises when impact is detected, so pedestrians head doesn’t hit anything hard.

How dare they require to make cars safer for everyone. Don’t they know that motorists are infallible and never hit anything, it’s always the pedestrians fault and with that, an impact should kill them?

driverless cars are a manufacturers fault, but that’s because Tesla are pushing it and others need to keep up with them

Don’t exist, so don’t know what the heck you’re even talking about.

im afraid that the majority buying/leasing cars today are the iPhone generation and want the car to perform like their phone

Buy a Duster. Or an old Lada.

Don’t know about other manufactures other than VAG and Ford but are they pulling the wool or are they like Ford, being reasonable…. or, is it just the models I’m looking at.

Erm.. I’m sure you missed it, but they charge over £5000 for a Kuga. That doesn’t seem particularly.. “great”, does it? It’s easy to say “well they’re reasonable, they didn’t change prices” when the car is already ridiculously overpriced for over half a year. And “yeah but Hybrid” isn’t an argument here, the Golf GTE is a hybrid too – and so is the Leon, and so is the 3008. The only hybrid that came close to that price was a top spec Mercedes in 250e guise. That’s “reasonable” for a Ford? I don’t know Jim.

Current: SEAT Ateca Xcellence Lux 1.5 TSI DSG MY19
    On Order: VW Golf GTE PHEV DSG MY22

#165718 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

Hi Rene

Your right there, Ford always have been a bit expensive but at least you know where you are with them and I’m talking about cars that are able to carry things in the boot and not Dinky toys.😀

#165722 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

There are plenty of things Motability could do to reduce AP’s but they choose not to.

#165731 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

Brydo, that is one hell of a kick in the teeth for Trades Unions don’t you think? Ever since day 1 , they have fought for better wages and better working conditions for workers, whether they be blue or white collar, and yet when a company or enterprise provides good salaries, pensions, working conditions some people complain that it is too much? Wow!!! Would you work in a dump, and be satisfied with lower wages than those working in the next building, of course not, so why should Motability pay less and provide lesser working conditions. In 2017, the net result of the cost of providing the scheme, after allowing for the income from PIP / DLA, Advanced Payments etc was a net profit, after tax, of £93.5m. Which, frankly for an organisation of this magnitude is not excessive! As with all such organisations, Motability Operations also build up ‘reserves’, which in layman’s terms, are accumulated and unspent profits to cover unforeseen eventualities – good business sense as well as potentially a legal requirement , The controversy occurred when it was reported that these reserves totalled £2.3bn (which to some is excessive ), which caused sensational headlines and derogatory stories about Motability, but the true message which needs to get ‘out there’, is that these reserves have been built up over many years – the previous audit was in 1996, when the reserves were £61 m. So,most reasonable people will understand that the annual surplus is not excessive. That is not to say that some of these reserves could not be spent in improving the scheme, but throwing money at providing flash cars ( in some non disabled people’s and newspaper’s eyes) may not be the best way forward?

Totally agree, I’m surprised at Brydo’s comments!

Another thing to remember about the pay and conditions is the old adage, you pay peanuts, you get Monkeys… I doubt you’ll find many people who ring Motability call centres that don’t have a very pleasant experience, and usually you get answers very quickly, and usually correct.  Can you say the same for any other call centre?

I’m glad Motability are a good employer, appreciate their staff and make people want to work for them, and in the end give it’s customers a good service.

Previous Motability Cars
    2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
    2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
    2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
    2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
    2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury
    2021- Hyundai Kona Electric Premium SE

#165732 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

In terms of customer service, Motability are hard to beat. They received a very complimentary report from the auditors too.

#165735 Reply
    Littledave.

You do know Motability is a non profit making scheme. No dividends are paid to the banks, all surpluses are reinvested into the scheme.

#165736 Reply
    Littledave.

Motability’s Annual Accounts as at 31 March 2021 show deposits and cash at £169 million.

You’re confusing reserves with cash. Reserves are reinvested into the scheme like buying the cars we run.

#165741 Reply
    Fastbike1000
    Participant

In my opinion, for what it’s worth, it’s down to the manufacturer.

A lot of manufacturers that I’ve seen have 40 %+ less production. Which means less cars to sell and longer wait times, which is exactly what we seeing. So the manufacturers are going to sell to the biggest profit.

Could motability help? I don’t think so, I don’t think motability have as much leverage as some folks might think. They might be the biggest lease company in the UK but not in the world.

#165759 Reply
    Warkman

There are confusing differences here.

1 Motability the charity is a non profit charity.

2 but, Motability operations, the company Motability the charity has a contract with to supply vehicles is a private company and as a private company has to make profits and does so

#165760 Reply
    Warkman

I really thing tgat either you are just trying to be obtuse, or you have misread my comments.

regardless of wether you agree or disagree these are the reasons why prices are going up.

im not justifying or supporting/not supporting these changes, just the facts

#165875 Reply
    JamesH

100% agree with this.

If you think private lease deals will be cheaper you need to share those deals because I can guarantee they do not match up at all. The mobility scheme is fantastic.

There are many reasonably priced vehicles on there. Yes some have higher AP’s but that is due to the market- supply and demand. You can’t blame anyone in particular for that. Chip shortages, the pandemic have all contributed.

There are still choices and many at £0 be thankful.

Viewing 15 replies - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
Reply To: Who’s to blame for the AP increase.
Your information: