Who Remembers Renting A Telly

• Creator
    Topic
    Jojoe
    Participant

Just had a really good laugh with Mrs Joe about renting a TV! Turns out both our Northern families rented tellies back in the 70’s to early 80’s, Mrs Joe’s late uncle rented one till the early noughties, and only stopped when he passed away!  My folks rented from a company called DER. Did your family rent their tv, who did they rent it from?

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      wmcforum
      Which Mobility Car

Radio rentals!

MickC
        Participant

Wigfalls in Sheffield in the 60’s

They put a slot box on the back of the TV  that used to take an old shilling you did’nt get any warning when the shilling would run out and you had to put another one in the slot to get the telly back on,every month a bloke would come and empty it and depending on how much was in it mi mam would get a rebate.

Same applied to gas and electric meters.

joss

Wigfalls in Sheffield in the 60’s They put a slot box on the back of the TV that used to take an old shilling you did’nt get any warning when the shilling would run out and you had to put another one in the slot to get the telly back on,every month a bloke would come and empty it and depending on how much was in it mi mam would get a rebate. Same applied to gas and electric meters.

Yeah same here, Rented from wigfalls In Doncaster, Shilling slot machine on back of TV, Tv’s where to expensive to buy at that time.

Joss
            Current car: Peugeot 308 GT Premium 1.2 Pure tech Petrol.

Jojoe
            Participant

I remember our neighbours getting a video recorder in the early eighties, everyone in the street went round to have a look, it was enormous, it had a remote control connected by a wire. A video rental van would come in the street every couple of days and we’d  all pile in the back and pick a film.

Jojoe
              Participant

DER TV rental price list. From ⬇️

D|E|R

Phaedra
                Participant

Second job I had I worked for an electrical company in Sunderland, used to sell radio/TV, white goods etc.

We used to rent a lot of TV’s, mainly 20-22″ B&W.  I can remember selling TV’s and the excitement when 26″ colour came out!.

Strange thing is TV’s are one of the few things that have improved, increased in size and are cheaper now than they were 50 years ago!, a decent 26″ Philips was about £250 in the early 70’s, a decent LG 32″ now is only about £180 🙂

Obviously £250 in 1970’s was worth a lot more than it is today!.

Please excuse spelling/typos. Apart from being a clot it turns out I had one on my cerebellum that's now causing various problems!

Participant

I didn’t rent, but my brother did, TV & VCR well into the 90’s. I remember him gloating that he could swap out for a newer model every year – then him sulking because his kids stuffed jam sandwiches into the VCR and killed it, so he had to pay the inflated “list price” for it.

I bought an ex-radio rentals 26″ colour TV when I was a student at College in 1985, lovely shade of fake Sapele wood…4 button remote, pure luxury…lol. Certainly a bargain at £85 when the student association at Uni in 1987 (went to Uni after College) let me keep the VCR between their Sunday movie nights as I was the only one with a telly to use it on. Sold it on for £50 years later when I emigrated.

Paid for by working weeknights in a local pub.

In life, it's not who you know that's important, it's how your wife found out.

Buzz
                    Participant

Yeah, my folks rented a coin operated TV for years and when I moved into my first flat I also opted to rent instead of buying.

Does anyone remember what they put on top of their wood veneer cabinet?

We had a spider plant on top of our TV for years and my girlfriend (now wife) thought nothing of watering it with the telly on ?

Jojoe
                      Participant

Does anyone remember what they put on top of their wood veneer cabinet?

We had a glass fish, they were all the rage in the 70’s.

kezo
                        Participant

Granada rentals was another but, perhaps Radio rentals was the most well known and oldes’t rental company. Merged with Granada rentals and became know as Boxclever in late 90’s early 2000’s. The last Baird TV’s rented were genuine Baird and not Thorn branded. Most recen was the defunk Brighthouse.

My uncle owned a authorised Panasonic centre and rented TV’s locally. I remember with fond memories fitting the coin boxes as a young lad and learnt from a young age how to repair TV’s, VCR etc.

Only people I know who rented was my mums parents, when I was still in junior’s and was always amused what my grandad called his magic trick. He would put 50p in the box and hold is hand out below to catch it as the tele come on lol. Come to think about it I can’t remember if he rented the twintub aswell.

Phaedra
                          Participant

@kezo Similar background! Did radio an TV repairs for a while, my best friend still has a mark on his hand from a very unfriendly PL519 anode cap ?

Please excuse spelling/typos. Apart from being a clot it turns out I had one on my cerebellum that's now causing various problems!

kezo
                            Participant

@kezo Similar background! Did radio an TV repairs for a while, my best friend still has a mark on his hand from a very unfriendly PL519 anode cap ?

Used as a line output and commonly used large colour TVs prior to transistors. The line drive power was 25-30kV  so would pack a punch. The 519 I think was an replacement to the PL509. Also used in Amps etc.

Phaedra
                              Participant

Indeed, we sold a lot of Telefunken, Philips and Finlux TV’s, not a great place to be distracted when fiddling about inside during a repair!.

Gee
                                Spectator

Like many others we also rented our telly from Radio Rentals.

The game changer though was the advent of vhs video recorders.

Our ‘baird’ video recorder quickly became the talk of the neighbourhood.

Sometimes mum would buy a three pack of blank TDK video tapes if there was any money left over at the end of the week. Dad never quite figured out how to operate the video recorder, or any tech stuff sadly, (like father like son).

Participant

Just had a really good laugh with Mrs Joe about renting a TV! Turns out both our Northern families rented tellies back in the 70’s to early 80’s, Mrs Joe’s late uncle rented one till the early noughties, and only stopped when he passed away! My folks rented from a company called DER. Did your family rent their tv, who did they rent it from?

i used to work for DER an awful long time ago. learnt my trade with the Co-op tho. yes those were the days when tvs were highly unpredictible and broke down several times a year often.

i got out of it when it became obvious that they had got them to work reliably… time for a new job that was lol

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
                                    Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

kezo
                                    Participant

@struth Where have you been hiding lol

Anyway, it good to hear from you 🙂

Participant

@struth Where have you been hiding lol Anyway, it good to hear from you ?

hi kezo; ive not been well so mostly been bedbound. still very tired but this is longest ive lasted up.. also i accidentilly poured a bottle of water over my lappy while it was on… it wasnt happy

car need it service and is overdue. arranged for them to pick it up and do it. costs me but its too far to walk from front of showroom still.

good to be back

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
                                        Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

kezo
                                        Participant

@struth Where have you been hiding lol Anyway, it good to hear from you ?

hi kezo; ive not been well so mostly been bedbound. still very tired but this is longest ive lasted up.. also i accidentilly poured a bottle of water over my lappy while it was on… it wasnt happy car need it service and is overdue. arranged for them to pick it up and do it. costs me but its too far to walk from front of showroom still. good to be back

Take care and keep drinking the scotch 🙂

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.