which stars have you met and what were they like?

• Creator
    Topic
  • #43194 Reply
    Brydo

Glos Guy has been name dropping on another thread lol, got me thinking have you met any stars and if so what were they like. Glos Guy has met Joanna lumley and she was very nice, I have met Sir Alex Ferguson and he was very knowledgeable and funny.

Who have you met and what were they like and if there’s a bit of a story to go with it tell us about it.

Glos Guy spill the beans how did you meet her and are you her one that got away lol?

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #43195 Reply
    JS

I’m going to have to take the 5th amendment on this one!

#43196 Reply
    Brydo

You can’t, the fifth only applies in the US of A. Tell us all justsaying you know you want to, its twenty five past twelve, its only me and you still up lol.

#43197 Reply
    Garys

I ince unknowingly queued for the cloakroom at planet hollywood i think it was behind a lovely blonde – very giggly girl who i thought i would engage in conversation as you do so i asked her something inane – she turned around to reply – and it was anneka rice – very nicely she turned down my offer of dinner ( i think thats what i said( and instead we had a drink ( she was wsiting for another friend to turn up – so for about 5 minutes i was her date – then once her friend turned up  we parted and went our seoerate ways never to be seen again – i did get a kiss though as she gave me a peck on the cheek.

Also once met annabelle croft ( who used to live not too far away ) in a supermarket – have now moved from south london- kent to north london and now live less than 1/2 mile from a well known olympic cyclists mum- used to see the cyclist on her way to school most days – now she has moved away but her mum still lives nearby.

Went to school with the lead singer of haircut 100.

And used to pass david bowies family home on the way to school ( that was over 40 years ago mind

Thats it for me

#43203 Reply
    Trev
    Participant

Jim Davidson and John Virgo – went to see Jim Davidson’s ‘Sinderella’ (i dare you to watch clips on youtube) went to the bar at the interlude and there they were having a drink, so went up and had a 5 min chat with them.

The late Keith Cheggars Chegwin, lived in my home town – 2 stories – i was deputy manager of an off Licence at the time when the papers ran stories of him being an alcoholic, and i had the idea on the chalkboard outside the shop to write ‘Cheegars Choice, Bells Whisky £10.69’ (still remember the price), a day later he came in fuming telling me he’ll sue if i don’t take it down, so bought the board in, he then purchased a bottle lol no joke.

Another time was at a car boot sale i saw him, was a good few years later, looked old and no-one was bothering him, quite sad really.

Mota History - Nissan Qashqai Ford Focus Seat Leon ST Mazda CX-5

#43206 Reply
    Glos Guy

Oh dear Brydo. I wish that you hadn’t started this one, and it’s all my fault because I mentioned meeting Joanna Lumley!

If you think I was name dropping with Joanna Lumley, I’m afraid that I could bore you all for a whole thread on this one, but will spare you. I have probably met at least 50 people who you would consider to be either ‘celebrities’ or household names due to various jobs that I have had. It would be unfair of me to criticise any of them when they don’t have the right of reply (and I’d probably be sued) but only two people stick in my mind as being particularly unpleasant and, ironically, both are people who are well known on TV for being ‘funny’.

I will just mention two situations where I met ‘famous’ people from entirely different worlds, in very different situations, that particularly stick in my memory for very positive reasons.

I once met all four of the rock band U2. I spoke to Bono first and he was very pleasant but I was a bit star struck as I grew up loving that band. As I then met each of the others every one of them made a point of shaking my hand, which I thought was a really nice touch as I was nobody to them and they all came across as really nice, courteous guys.

Another, entirely different situation happened when, along with 4 other people, I had dinner with Dame Stella Rimmington, former head of MI5. As you can imagine, she was absolutely fascinating and I was surprised at how open she was about well known situations that she had presided over. As we were on a roll, I asked her how she had found the various Prime Ministers that she had worked under. Much to my surprise, she answered truthfully, with examples, and I was quite surprised at the answers she gave. I won’t repeat them on here as I shall no doubt be hunted down and shot!

#43208 Reply
    Mike

Anneka rice is still drop dead gorgeous today she looks amazing as does Joanna    Blondes in their 50s and 60s just get more gorgeous imho look at felicity Kendall now !

#43211 Reply
    Mike 700

Some I can think of – I can follow up with a couple of when & why’s later, if anyone is interested?

Tom Jones
    Irene Handle
    John Gregson
    Ray Smith
    William Devane
    Ian McShane
    Dusty Springfield
    Connie Francis
    Alan Wicker
    Norman Wisdom
    Peter Boyle
    Hank Marvin
    Bruce Welch
    Brian Bennett
    Trevor Eve
    Sharon Maugham
    Douglas Bader
    Lady Bader
    Andrew Lloyd Webber
    Lord Carnavon
    Patrick Campbell
    Gene Pitney
    Paco Mason
    Several famous MP’s
    Several Admirals
    Peter Lorimer
    Peter Osborne
    Norman Hunter
    Tommy Smith
    Tommy Docherty
    Dickie Davies
    Eric Morecombe
    Col. Tim Collins
    Max Boyce
    Gareth Edwards & others.
    Sam Warburton &. Others.
    Several Lords & Ladies

Keith Chegwin

#43231 Reply
    Mike 700
    Participant

Some I can think of – I can follow up with a couple of when & why’s later, if anyone is interested?

Tom Jones Irene Handle John Gregson Ray Smith William Devane
    Ian McShane Dusty Springfield Connie Francis Alan Wicker
    Norman Wisdom Peter Boyle Hank Marvin Bruce Welch Brian Bennett
    Trevor Eve Sharon Maugham Douglas BaderLady Bader Andrew Lloyd Webber
    Lord Carnavon Patrick Campbell Gene Pitney Paco Mason Several famousMP’s
    Several Admirals Peter Lorimer Peter Osborne Norman Hunter Tommy Smith
    Tommy Docherty Dickie Davies Eric Morecombe Col. Tim Collins Max Boyce
    Gareth Edwards & others. Sam Warburton &. Others. Several Lords & Ladies

VW Tiguan SEL in Silver White.

#43242 Reply
    Glos Guy

Great list there Mike. Douglas Bader and Andrew Lloyd Webber would be stand outs there for me. Both incredible individuals but in entirely different ways.

#43243 Reply
    Brydo

Yes indeed mike that would be great, I would really like to meet Tom Jones but that’s “not unusual” lol

#43247 Reply
    Trev
    Participant

Hey Mike, I’ve spoke to lord carnavon on the phone, he used buy drink from ‘Bottoms Up’ an off licence i also worked at in Newbury. My brother also rented a cottage from him, when he lived on the highclere castle estate.

Andrew Lloyd Webber used to (don’t know if he still does) have a water party every year, and we supplied cases of water for him too.

A lot of famous folk lived around the Newbury area, would have liked to have met Will Young as he came from Hungerford….. nice for Hungerford to have that connection, seeing as Michael Ryan is who people remember most from that town.

#43248 Reply
    Trev
    Participant

#43251 Reply
    Brydo

I’m trying my best, I would like to have met Geronimo the red Indian chief but I had some “reservation’s” as some say he’s not “apache” on sitting bull, and you thought they couldn’t get any worse.

#43252 Reply
    Mike 700

Tommy Scott and the Senators was one of the groups which we used to book for our local dance , back in the early sixties, and I got to prepare their tea and plate of biscuits for the half time break, and sat with them (smoking and chatting) during the break, a number of times.

It wasn’t too long afterwards before Tommy Scott ( Woodward) became Tom Jones and you know the rest.

#43254 Reply
    Mike 700

Hi Trev,

I sat next to the Earl, ( he was the old gentleman who was a regular on the Michael Parkinson show ) one evening at dinner, and he broke w. all through the main course ‘ without batting an eyelid ‘ – that’s the sign of real aristocracy eh?

Same thing with ALW a couple of times, but without the accompanying ‘aroma’!

#43255 Reply
    Winston

That was a good effort Brydo!

Some great names there on the list so far ??

Ive only met one famous person, I mean I guess you call it meeting, I was 8 yrs old and and he only shook my hand but I’m claiming it! As you’d find it hard to be more famous than he was..

the late Pope John Paul II on his visit to Bellahouston Park in Scotland the 80’s

My older brother was at college going through the process of becoming a priest ( he left after 6th year and went to live in New York to live with family ) me and my family tagged along with his college and he shook mines ( and about 500 others ) so it wasn’t like I had a convo with him lol

he probably said “God bless you”

But there you go

#43256 Reply
    Brydo

Winston that’s a great one to have, have you washed your hand yet?

#43258 Reply
    Trev
    Participant

wow! that’s amazing Winston.

I spent an afternoon in Rome once, went to St Peters square, such an aura about the place – would love to return for a proper visit sometime.

#43260 Reply
    Winston

Haven’t ever  washed it or cut my nails on that hand! I’m like that guy from the Middle East who didn’t wash for 30 years lol

The pope probably shook the hands of a million people over his life time

I went to Rome with an ex for 5 days about 12 years ago, I was always fascinated with the ancient Romans etc as a kid so it was amazing to see the ruins  and buildings dotted about everywhere , went to the Vatican , Sistine chapel etc to see all the tourist stuff and art and it was amazing to see in the flesh , you are definetly in Awe of a lot of that city

as for modern day Rome I found it really dirty, actually pretty bogin , beggars, pickpockets everywhere , it could have done with a right good clean

but for 4 or 5 days to see all the stuff you learned about in school etc was amazing

#43261 Reply
    Trev
    Participant

It was a flying visit for us Winston, a cruise stop, got the bus to the colosseum and walked back up, i found the ruins amazing, to be able to walk amongst them.. incredible…. trevi fountain, spanish steps, and those you mentioned, so much i want to see … perhaps one day.

#43270 Reply
    Garys

<p style=”text-align: center;”>I think mike wins hands down</p>

#43296 Reply
    Brydo

Winston I heard he washed his hand right away lol.

Travelling abroad is not something I do as I hate flying, I have this dream that I’ve won the lottery and I’m flying first class with a beautiful woman, yes its the wife, funny that as in my other dream where I win the lottery I don’t tell her lol, and the plane crashes and all I can think is all that money and I didn’t get to spend it. Back to my point, but I often think about taking a cruise from Southampton round the med, and visiting Rome. My wife is a Catholic and a firm believer, I don’t believe in miracles, but she does, so taking her to the Vatican to see if a miracle could happen to cure her of her problems could be worth a go.

#43300 Reply
    Trev
    Participant

a cruise is an experience you would not forget, and the med is a perfect place as so many different countries can be visited in a short space of time. i’m so thankful i had the opportunity to go on one….. was 17 year ago now! if i did it again i would either want more days at sea without a port visit, or  a cruise and stay to relax and unwind after. We only had 1 day without a port visit and it was exhausting! lol

I have no fear of planes, did a flying lesson once, i would jump out of one for a skydive no problem….. but you wouldn’t get me on a roller coaster or fairground ride for love or money… i’m a complex fella lol

#43331 Reply
    Winston

A cruise sounds fab, I’ve never been on one before and always thought they were for rich Americans or oldies lol

but my mum and aunt, and my sis and her man have went away on them over the past couple of years, my mum said the onshore day trips were s bit of a nightmare , so busy, sitting about for hours, half an hour here , 15 mins there all in that heat! Perfect for some , not my mum and def not me

think I’d rather just chill out on the boat, take in the views and explore the ship ?

all the things you mentioned are absolutely stunning Trev ??

You never know Brydo! If that’s what the good lady believes and wants to do I say go for it if you can! And fingers crossed it does happen for her!

i was also brought up a Catholic, all boys school , gran had statues all over her house and I was an alter boy ? but now I’m not religious at all, each to their own but personally it’s not for me

but if someone believes it makes them a better person etc then I’ve no problem with it

only have an issue with any religion when it makes them hate everyone else and do horrible things to people

i ruptured a disc today ( happens every 6 weeks or so )  can barely move , 10 out 10 pain, so bad I have to laugh lol

#43336 Reply
    Brydo

How come your disc gets ruptured Winston?

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
Reply To: which stars have you met and what were they like?
Your information: