Which Benefits are we entitled to?

• This topic has 39 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by Graeme.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #80606 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

WMC highlighted that in Scotland we carers get additional monies from the Scottish Government. As i read it, it dawned on me that there could be benefits out there that we don`t claim.

Without giving any personnel details, which benefits are available for the disabled and those with low income?

Any info would be appreciated.

WMC if this should be on the “off Topic” section feel free to move it.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 14 replies - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #95763 Reply
    DougieB
    Participant

Do you have a link to claim the free AA card?

Dougie, Sorry for the delay in replying, I don’t venture in here that often. To get the complimentary ‘AA Disabled Drivers Assistance Card’ just ring Veterans UK on 0800 1914 218 and ask for one. They will do a couple of security checks and check that you receive WPMS. A few days later, the card (redacted copy below) should drop through your letterbox in a brown envelope: Veterans Complimentary Disabled Drivers Assistance Card Dave

I applied for this but just received a letter from Veterans UK telling me that as I have a Motability agreement in place, I’m not entitled to it as breakdown assistance is included. 🙁

VW Tiguan R-Line Tech auto in nice shiny black. 🙂

#95777 Reply
    BigDave
    Participant

Do you have a link to claim the free AA card?

Dougie, Sorry for the delay in replying, I don’t venture in here that often. To get the complimentary ‘AA Disabled Drivers Assistance Card’ just ring Veterans UK on 0800 1914 218 and ask for one. They will do a couple of security checks and check that you receive WPMS. A few days later, the card (redacted copy below) should drop through your letterbox in a brown envelope: Veterans Complimentary Disabled Drivers Assistance Card Dave

I applied for this but just received a letter from Veterans UK telling me that as I have a Motability agreement in place, I’m not entitled to it as breakdown assistance is included. ?

Hi Dougie,

That is a fairly recent policy change then, as I have had constant Motability agreements over many years and only earlier this year applied for and received the complimentary AA card.

I am not sure why the policy has changed, as it doesn’t cost Veterans UK anything (other than postage) to send out the card and it costs the very same postage to write and tell you that you cannot have one!

The AA (and formerly the RAC when they offered a similar membership) used to just send a batch lot of cards to Veterans UK (or SPVA as was) for them to send out to WPMS recipients who asked for one (noting that these cards were never openly advertised).

Unless the AA have imposed the restriction for some obscure reason, but as they are signatories to the Armed Forces Covenant, I can hardly see that happening – they like good PR hence signing the Covenant.

I will try to follow it up at the Veterans Advisory & Pensions Committee meeting I am attending next month and see what Veterans UK’s rationale on the policy change is.

Dave.

#95779 Reply
    DougieB
    Participant

Unless the AA have imposed the restriction for some obscure reason, but as they are signatories to the Armed Forces Covenant, I can hardly see that happening – they like good PR hence signing the Covenant. I will try to follow it up at the Veterans Advisory & Pensions Committee meeting I am attending next month and see what Veterans UK’s rationale on the policy change is. Dave.

Thanks. I look forward to finding out that’s happened.

VW Tiguan R-Line Tech auto in nice shiny black. 🙂

#105710 Reply
    Winston

Got the colour of envelope we all dread in my mail box today! You know that lovely brown colour with the Belfast address on the back

as soon as you see it the anxiety and dread just rises and rises

anyways, I opened it and it was just to inform me of the new ESA rates from 1st April onwards

phew… 🤣

I’m guessing I’m not the only person on the forum to receive one of these letters!

So if you do , then fingers crossed it’s the type of one I got 🤞🏻

happy Friday folks 🙌🏻

#105713 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

Hi Winston

Yes I get the odd brown one (I mean in the letterbox not my pants 😁 ), more so coming upto April and the new tax year but whenever I see one of these envelopes sticking out the letterbox makes my heart skip a beat even though I’ve been given the 10 years PIP allowance with over 8 years before renewal to go.

#105719 Reply
    Winston

Hi Chris,

yeah I’m in the same boat as you, but it doesn’t stop those horrible thoughts and feelings when you see one does it lol

thankfully today it wasn’t bad news , Infact a few extra quid per month for the next year oh yeah and our £10 crimbo bonus lol

#106595 Reply
    Winston
    Participant

Does any of the Scottish members on here receive SDS , Self Directed Support?

When life hands you melons...,
    Make melonade!

#110870 Reply
    martino

Winston ,When life hands you melons…,
    Make melonade! I was just watching that

#110871 Reply
    martino

I was reading all benefits are going up by £1000  per year i think Universal Credit ect

but i cant see if it apples to Employment Support Allowance

anybody know

#110873 Reply
    martino

Also does it include carers allowance

#110875 Reply
    joss
    Participant

I was reading all benefits are going up by £1000 per year i think Universal Credit ect but i cant see if it apples to Employment Support Allowance anybody know

It is only UC that will be going up in the short term. £1000. equates to around £20.00 a week.

Disabled legacy benefits claimants to be hit by coronavirus changes

Claimants of employment and support allowance (ESA) and tax credits will suffer financially because they have not been included in increases given to universal credit (UC) claimants and may lose transitional protection, the Disability Benefits Consortium (DBC) warned yesterday.

The DBC, whose members include over 100 charities, has told the government in an open letter that the £20 increase in universal credit will not apply to claimants of legacy benefits such as ESA and tax credits. They are asking that ESA claimants receive a similar uplift and also that the extra money for claimants in the work-related activity group and its UC equivalent is restored.

In addition, the DBC has pointed out that disabled workers who lose their jobs in the coming months because of an economic downturn will have no transitional protection when they are obliged to claim UC.

The DBC state:

“Any Working Tax Credit (WTC) claimant who loses their job over the coming few months will not be able to continue claiming WTC and will have to claim UC instead. This means they will lose Transitional Protection (TP). As you know, this is a temporary top-up payment that would have been added to their UC to offset any losses, when the DWP eventually transferred them from WTC – but it is not payable when you move to UC because of a change of circumstances, such as job loss.

“Disabled people in work and parents of disabled children stand to lose far more than most people if they lose TP – sometimes amounting to thousands of pounds a year. This will make it even more difficult for them to recover from the economic shock of the next few months.”

The DBC has put forward a number of other suggestions for changes to the benefits system to help claimants through the coming months, including:

Converting UC advance into non-repayable grants

Suspending work-related conditionality and sanctions

Extending the time limits for returning forms because of the difficulty of obtaining medical evidence

Pay benefits in full where a claimant is awaiting a mandatory reconsideration or appeal

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's
    "It is a great ability to be able to conceal one's ability."

#111317 Reply
    joss
    Participant

Coronavirus and claiming benefits

This is a new web page https://www.understandinguniversalcredit.gov.uk/coronavirus/

This page provides information about coronavirus and claiming benefits. It will continue to be updated. Please check this page regularly for updates on the arrangements the Department for Work and Pensions is making to support those who are affected by coronavirus.

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's
    "It is a great ability to be able to conceal one's ability."

#126910 Reply
    Graeme

Very interesting topic – thank you @Brydo.

Btw, the only two benefits that i receive are:

blue badge(cost £10)

Local authority 5 year disabled bus pass (cost £10)

#126911 Reply
    Graeme

Nearly forgot – Radar key also(cost £10)

Viewing 14 replies - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
Reply To: Which Benefits are we entitled to?
Your information: