When are going to get cars with panache?

• This topic has 31 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by Brydo.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #140399 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Most modern cars are just so ugly. Do they need to be?

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #140401 Reply
    ajn

That car eased my mind into visions of long country roads, warm sun, with plenty of time on my hands, accompanied with my Wife..

#140442 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Panache? Well…

#140446 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

I used to love the flat floor on the DS and that there was no sill to step over when you got in.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by Wigwam.
    #140449 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Sadly, never driven one. Would love to one day. No sill on that flat floor, what’s more, you could change the height of said floor with the fluid suspension. Flat floor would also make it good for taking a large set of batteries – electric propulsion being a damn good replacement for the original, not so good, ICE. Oh WHY can’t Citroen just restart production of the Goddess body as an EV?

#140460 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

The DS had no upper body structural rigidity and a fibreglass roof. By the time you fixed that  – made the glass smaller,  thickened the pillars and made room for all the airbags it would be a different animal altogether, unfortunately.

#140462 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

#140494 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Didn’t know that, Wigwam. Still reckon Citroen could fix it, though. Materials technology has come a fair way…

In answer to your main question, I reckon we don’t get cars with panache because they’re all designed by regulations and computers.

#140501 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

I’d like to blame computers Tharg but designers are trying hard to differentiate their products.  These three cars in the same segment are very different. To me only the Mazda shows some design flare and even then the designer is holding back on what it could be.

#140502 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

#140503 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

#140515 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Yup, Wigwam. Must agree, well, mostly agree… the Mazda definitely looks the best although, having seen the ID.3 in the metal, it ain’t so bad. The Soul is good engineering but looks awful. Particularly like the “suicide” linked doors in the Mazda. Very useful for people with mobility issues. Look good too.

#140541 Reply
    DBtruth
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I’m not sure it’s fair to compare a Ferrari to a Kia Soul but I get the idea and I agree that modern cars are nowhere near as good looking as older ones.
    even if you compared an old Ferrari to a new one I still think the old ones look better. Is this a problem of “super cars” becoming too powerful and requiring all of these clever diffusers, air intakes and rear wings etc to make sure they not ridiculously dangerous?
    Wouldn’t it be great if these companies said they weren’t going to chase Nurburgring lap times and just built a car that’s a joy to drive and looks beautiful</p>

#140551 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant
    #140556 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Do so agree with that DBtruth and Wigwam. With beauty, and panache, being in the eye of the beholder, I do realise that we’ll never all agree but I think that this Mini design from 2002:

is just so much a better, pleasing design that this, from this year:

Now, I know they are slightly different models, but, for me, the Art Deco/Bauhaus simplicity of the former is so much better than the bumpy, twiddly bits on the latter.  Trying far too hard to be macho and racy – does not need to. And those wheels! What is going on with wheel design at the moment?

#140558 Reply
    DBtruth
    Participant

I had considered a lot of those things too. All perfectly understandable.

I’ve seen a few people online saying EV kits are going to become popular so you’ll just be able to convert an old car into an EV pretty easily. So if we’re lucky we’ll still be able to see some good looking cars on the road in the future. If this does become popular, I wonder what cars will be desirable? Mk1 Audi TT maybe?

#140565 Reply
    DBtruth
    Participant

Ah I love those little pepper pot style wheels on that old mini. I do think the mini looks better in it’s simpler form. On certain cars I actually think smaller wheels suit it better. They’re bound to contribute to a nicer ride too

#140570 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Have to agree about wheels. I look at the design styling of some wheels (and other parts) on new cars and wonder what drugs the designers are on…

#140577 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

And it’s not just the looks either. The Mini suspension is renowned for its brick-like ride quality. Owners agree that the 16″ wheels with more rubber between wheel and road give a much better ride. However, on the Cooper S, Sport and Exclusive you can only get 17″ ones, no alternative. Too expensive to buy a whole new set of wheels and tyres.

#140585 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

The previous version of the Cooper S (around 2007) had a habit of hammering its front suspension struts through the top of the wheel arch. A not uncommon repair job bashing it back into place and fitting strengtheners, if you caught it in time..

#140593 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Does not surprise me in the least, Wigwam. The brick suspension was the reason I did not go for the Sport version but settled for the Exclusive. Actually wanted the “ordinary” version with the smaller wheels but would have cost me more than the premium ones when adding on the other bits I needed (free with the Sport etc). Got the adjustable suspension as part of package. Glad I did not pay for it – two settings: hard and even harder.

#140616 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Being so impressed and intrigued by your Ferrari photos, I had to look it up. Quite aside from the *stunning design, there’s also the engineering: 3.0L V-12 engine straight out of Ferrari racing cars giving out 200bhp and propelling the panache-mobile to 135mph. Insignificant figures by today’s standards but for 1953 that must have been cutting edge.

#140621 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Just so, Tharg. A staggering achievement. I hope whoever paid two and a half million dollars for it at auction gets to drive it – although stopping from 135mph on drum brakes has got to be interesting.

#140630 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

My thoughts exactly. Would concentrate the mind wonderfully.

#140632 Reply
    MickC

All you need these days to design a car is this.

#140731 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Normally I dislike adverts on here which target subjects we’ve been talking about. However, for past day or so, Sotheby’s have been putting up details of forthcoming auctions full of Panache-mobiles. From the Ferrari that started it all to nice two-seaters. Included the following which I always thought was the last outing by the gods or Art Deco. Was called Daimler Dart, had to change the Dart bit because a US firm had same name…

AND in BRG too! Asking price about $30,000. That’ll be OK for the weekends then… 😊

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
Reply To: When are going to get cars with panache?
Your information: