Whats the weather like where you are today take 2

• Creator
    Topic
  • #86130 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Ive noticed a problem with the original thread, taking me to page 1 of the thread. Assuming its the same problem as my original Brexit thread (stolen by WMC lol) that there were too many pages, i have started another weather thread (stolen from lightbodyae55 lol).

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 25 replies - 1,126 through 1,150 (of 1,227 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #137758 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Weather is grey – skies, temperature, rain, all grey. Would say it’s Meh but really, it’s more Bleh!

#137870 Reply
    Georgie

Warm, wet and dreary.  Drizzling.  Dismal.

Thank goodness I’ve still got the sunshine and fun of Corfu to disappear into for one last day.  After that – ‘Shogun’.

#137872 Reply
    joss

Well it’s the usual gray day here, it has rained non stop through out the night. Sat with a nice warm cup of coffee waiting for Asda to deliver the food shopping.

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#137881 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Less grey. More a strong magnolia. Temperature bearable at around 10C.

#137897 Reply
    Unclebob
    Participant

Not seen it in double figures in my area for some weeks now ..13deg..time to dig out the shorts 😉

#138351 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Less grey. No so cold. Might even stay dry? Sort of Meh!

#138355 Reply
    joss

Well we have had some cracking sun rises the last couple of days here. Clear skies but damn cold as you would expect. -1 degree this morning. Rain forecast for Tuesday,

Joss
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#138368 Reply
    Georgie

Lovely morning yesterday with snow that didn’t stick, but a cold, grey blanket today that’s expected to last all day.

Had second thoughts regarding ‘Shogun’ and have opted instead for ‘Ten Second Staircase’.

Will be making a Cottage Pie later.

#138377 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Still Meh here. Hope you enjoy the Fowler. Have just launched into the second Bookman volume Camera Obscura. Enjoying muchly. Enjoyable writing style, mad, unpredictable plot and characters. What more could a reader ask..?

BTW really think Fowler should give Janice her own series. 👩‍🦳

#138769 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Started really bad. Wet, cold, bleurgh.  As I write it is gone 5pm, bright, clear, sunny still plenty of light. I know it is two months away but BST and sunlit evenings come ever closer. Yippee!

#138832 Reply
    Brydo

Horrible weather here today, windy, cold and wet, might need to put the heating on 🤪

#138863 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Much better here. Started a bit wet then cleared and now (whisper it) almost springlike. Considering going down a level in number of layers worn.

#138914 Reply
    joss

It’s actually nice and dry here, just for a change. Not warm but not cold. No layers of clothing, just my trusted Berghaus fleece.

Joss
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#138960 Reply
    Georgie

Very foggy here earlier, but the Sun’s cleared the trees now so it’s starting to burn off.  Surprised (in a good way) that there’s been no sound of sirens heading for Guildford across the Hogs Back so far.  You can almost guarantee a prang on the A3 at Guildford every time there’s so much as a light mist, or every time it rains . . .

Birds are birding.  Magpie still thinks he’s being ‘clever’ surreptitiously nabbing the hazelnuts that I put out for him. 🙂

Otherwise, Life trundles on.  Been catching up with ‘Fear the Walking Dead’ (it has definitely jumped) or reading.

The Shepherds Pie was a success – not only added bacon, but also chucked in a ‘left-over’ half a tin of baked beans instead of the carrot.  DH is making individual meaty pizzas for dinner.

I like Friday – the shopping gets delivered and then we have chocolate.

#139006 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Same here, Georgie. Well foggy a.m. – spots and fogs called for on trip to butchers. Now, well, as the song has it, “It might as well be spring…” Really delightful. Sad it will all change over the weekend. Snow forecast together with minus-quite-a-bit temperatures.

Been watching The Mallorca Files in the Beeb’s just-after-lunch slot. Surprised. Thought it was going to be US style cliched pap. However, nicely done. Using local actors and real places. Mini Midsommer Murders plots. Engaging characters deployed with a touch of wit. Fun and easy to watch.

#139018 Reply
    Georgie

I’ve experienced the ‘surprise!’ fog on exiting the Hindhead Tunnel northbound (frequent cause of those sirens I mentioned previously.  Funny how I know there might be fog there at any time but the daily commuters don’t.  Perhaps they never took the A3 before the tunnel so don’t know from experience that Hindhead has its own micro-climate?), but ‘serious’ fog from the sea is something I have yet to fully experience.  Closest I have come to it is on a visit to Highcliffe, where it was lovely and sunny on the mainland but the IOW had disappeared in sea fog.  We sat in the sunshine eating ice cream, listening to the sound of the fog horn on Needles lighthouse.

#139067 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Bright, turning grey right now. Dry but forecast says getting wet around lunchtime. Early hours Sunday said to bring lots of white stuff. They don’t know whether it’ll come this far west, though. Amber warnings… hmmm.

Never experienced “surprise” fog on roads. Did, however, get it while walking the Pennine Way way back when legs worked (1970s). Somewhere on a heath in the Yorks Dales, the views were great, perfectly clear then Bam! Total whiteout in about a minute. Get out compass and follow the needle!

#139075 Reply
    Brydo

Forecast to be dry cold and sunny. -4/5 overnight during the next three or four days.

Overcast with sunny spells today.

Haven’t had a prolonged cold spell like this for many years, fully expect some of my outdoor plants to die.

#139082 Reply
    joss

It has done nothing but rain here since 5:00pm yesterday. Still raining quite heavy.

Tharg I did the Pennine way about the same time. Small group of us from school took the challenge. Loved it to bits. Base camp was set up at Cooper’s camp site Edale.

Joss
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#139083 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

I think we are missing the snow this weekend here in Leicestershire East Midlands cloudy and very cold here ! Joss how is the new boiler going ? Are you nice and warm ?

BBC Breakfast expert, VW Golf driver.

#139088 Reply
    joss

New boil is running very well Mike. Very quite as well. Yes all very cosy here. very pleased over all

Joss
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#139114 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Can’t remember exact year we did the Pennine Way; must have been about 73/74. Do remember it being very wet, though. More weather for wellies rather than proper boots. Lovely places along there; particularly remember Hawes in Yorks. Great fish ‘n’ chip shop! We were staying in YHA hostels which was our mistake. Not the best accommodation/food I’ve ever had – both of which are essential on a project like that. Dentdale hostel broke the back – freezing dormitory and given lemon curd sandwiches as packed lunch. No enough to get us through that day’s 18 miles hike (no chippies or butcher’s pies en-route!) . Gave up and came home. Would do it again in a moment if I could walk AND find good hotels to use.

#139207 Reply
    Georgie

The thing about the Hindhead Tunnel (to be spoken of with the same whispery relish of Gollum describing the Stairs of Cirith Ungol  – “Up, up, up the stairs and then . . . the Tunnel . . . ) is that you enter the Tunnel at the open south end but emerge slightly higher up inside the curve of a heavily wooded hill that acts as a cold-trap (the Surrey Hills).  Mostly it’s fine, sometimes it isn’t.  Back in the day the area was a notorious for Highwaymen and had a gibbet on the hill, hangings for the use of!

Hindhead’s the highest settlement for miles – so much so that several sanatoriums were built there to allow patients access to all the fresh air.  Sir Arthur Conan Doyle built a family home there for the benefit of his wife, who had TB.  He wrote most of The Hound of the Baskervilles there. George Bernard Shaw, a sometimes rival of Doyle, lived there in a house called Blen Cathra.  Doyle called his house Undershaw.  There was a local brouhaha a few years ago when the latest owner planned to strip it out and convert it into flats.  Luckily Planning Permission was refused, he sold up, and it’s now a Stepping Stones School for children with ‘special needs’.

#139221 Reply
    Georgie

Worst fog was Dartmoor, when I was 18.  Went on motorcycle (previous boyfriend) to stay with ‘friends of friends’ in Plymouth for a few days.  Leaving very early on Monday morning to return home we decided to come back across Dartmoor.  5am and the densest fog you could imagine – we were going under 15mph all the way and we only know where to go by following the solid white line along the left side of the lane.

The back brake failed just before we reached Princetown (cable snapped), everywhere was shut and was going to stay shut (Sunday), so we rode the rest of the way across Dartmoor, in dense fog, with only the front brake working.   No mobiles ‘phones, of course, and the one Public Phone Box we found had been vandalised.  Nerve-wracking and very, very scary.  Took us about 3 hours to cross that bloody moor, emerging into bright sunshine.  Hung around in Exeter until the relevant shop opened, after which is was a 5 minute repair job and home again along the very scenic Fosse Way and the A303.

#139260 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Know what you mean about Dartmoor. Very ancient scary place. Camped thereon in 70s; the weather won after some two days and we exited to the marvellous (then) Brentor Inn.

Weather here not as drastic as forecast. A few sleety bits of white just after lunchtime. Temperature still above zero (2-3C according to car). No snowdrifts, nuffink! Felt let down, only a bit though. Had swatted up on which settings for traction control/drive setting/suspension level on the Mini to cope with snow. Didn’t have to use any but did discover the limited slip differential which is quite a little diamond when it comes to extra control and cornering.

Viewing 25 replies - 1,126 through 1,150 (of 1,227 total)
Reply To: Whats the weather like where you are today take 2
Your information: