Whats the weather like where you are today take 2

• Creator
    Topic
  • #86130 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Ive noticed a problem with the original thread, taking me to page 1 of the thread. Assuming its the same problem as my original Brexit thread (stolen by WMC lol) that there were too many pages, i have started another weather thread (stolen from lightbodyae55 lol).

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 25 replies - 1,101 through 1,125 (of 1,212 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #137388 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Same here, Georgie. Bit more cloud now from NNW . At 40 or so miles to your east, we, too, have the chance of snow overnight and into Sunday a.m. It’ll be coming over the South Downs and thus could be thickish. Hope not but have checked we have enough essentials for a few days. Small and narrow lanes and complete lack of salting here mean that just a few cms will cut us off.

#137458 Reply
    JS

bit fresh this morning

#137459 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Heavy snow showers forecast here this afternoon in Leicestershire

BBC Breakfast expert, VW Golf driver.

#137463 Reply
    joss

More heavy frost over night. making it very sharp intake of breath out doors. Had to top up screen wash as Told by the BMW Doxy. Almost took a full gallon! of Halford’s Lime screen wash. Excellent stuff buy the way. Ready mixed as well.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by joss. Reason: spelling

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#137464 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Wind has backed to a southerly, so the nasty white stuff misses us on the coast and only falls when it hits the rise in the South Downs. Still very cold and wet in a most unfriendly manner.

On the plus-side, though, it is now fully light at 4pm whereas just a couple of weeks ago it would be dark. Yesterday evening was v clear and we still had some sunlight at 6pm. Only a couple of months to go before BST!

#137467 Reply
    Georgie

Snow, snow, glorious snow.  Should continue until around 1pm, though it will get lighter and mixed with sleet (boo!).  At least 3 inches now, going by the blanket covering the frozen bird bath.  Never seen snowflakes this big in the south of England.  I’ve just been taking some photos.

#137470 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Well, Georgie – one of us is lucky, the another not so. Not quite sure which way round though! Very slight sleet here now reverted to freezing rain, no snow at all and only 30/40 miles along the coast.

#137471 Reply
    Brydo

-4 outside but another beautiful sunny crisp day.
    Looking forward to a walk today, get wrapped up, headphones on and pretend the world is back to normal for half an hour.

#137473 Reply
    Georgie

+3 here and snow has all but stopped – it’s just a light frozen drizzle.  Snow reached 4 1/2 inches deep on the bird bath.  Brightening up remarkably.

Birds are appearing.  The little ones have realised the seed platform on the bird table is covered and the seed is available, as are the fat balls.  There is also seed and grated cheese for the larger birds on the snow-free ground under the bamboo.

#137475 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Really quite bright here now. Bird life picking up a bit too. Has the spotted woodpecker in this morning; seemed to be starting the “let’s look for a new nest site” ritual. Couple of cormorants overhead yesterday. Still not much garden finch and tit activity but the goldfinches are tweeting through in good sized flocks.

#137479 Reply
    file28
    Participant

Here in North East Wales been snowing for about 5 hours this morning

"the world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams-its heaven and hell "(RJD)
    Seat Ateca FR Black Edition 2.0tsi 190 dsg 4drive Nevada White

#137480 Reply
    Brydo

Georgie don’t get me started on bamboo. Made the mistake, many years ago to plant it in the ground rather than a pot. I’m still trying to get rid of it, I think ivevgot it removed then it appears somewhere else. It particularly likes to creep along my brick boundary wall about four inches under the soil, bloody nightmare.

#137483 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Snow settling here can’t see any Tits in the garden

BBC Breakfast expert, VW Golf driver.

#137556 Reply
    Brydo

Great photo file28.

Another beautiful day here, the streets are white with ice but strangely my car app says it’s +3 degrees 🤔

#137558 Reply
    Georgie

Brilliant sunshine today.  Snow’s down to the final inch or two.  DH swept and salted the path down the drive this morning as it’s quite steep.  The road is also quite steep, but as a back road it never gets cleared unless the residents do it themselves.  There is a yellow road salt box at the top of the hill, but the deer love to vandalise it.  Still, a big lorry managed to get down and back up this morning without incident, so I guess it’s clear. 🙂

Brydo – Yes, bamboo can be a real bustard in fertile soil.  We deliberately planted bamboo in the hope it would spread along the fence and create some privacy (the bedroom windows overlook a spot in the back garden of a bungalow where the neighbours like to sit in the summer, so it works both ways).  Luckily the soil quality here is so dismal (lowland heath = a skim of lawn and 4″ of top soil over what is basically sand) that the bamboo hasn’t been able to spread any further than we put the fertiliser.  Bit of a change from where I grew up in the Thames Valley: When he was three my younger brother planted desiccated coconut ‘seeds’ in the garden in the hope of growing a banana tree and we gave him Evens . . .

#137564 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Lovely bright and clear. Chilly but not freezing. Car thermo’ tells me it is +2.5C. No ice on road so quick trip to butchers was any sideways stuff and/or banging and clunking from stability control widgetry.  Few degrees warmer and I will have to think about cutting the lawn. This does not seems to have stopped growing all winter!

#137579 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

Dry, Sunny, Calm, Cold.

#137618 Reply
    Georgie

Snow is beautiful in the moonlight at the moment.  Rain expected tomorrow, which will put an end to it, I expect.

#137640 Reply
    joss

It’s gray and still very cold here. Sharp frost again. I have been trying to locate some salt grit for the drive way and path. Total failure, no one has any.

Joss
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#137642 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

i got 25kg bag from amazon for £14.99 end of dec.

i bought a yellow bin and keep it topped up holds 50kg.

bought 2 bags this winter to add to last years leftovers got about 1 and a half left.

hoping it gets me through.

#137660 Reply
    Marc
    Participant

It’s gray and still very cold here. Sharp frost again. I have been trying to locate some salt grit for the drive way and path. Total failure, no one has any.

Wickes have rocksalt at £5 a bag, check stock in your local store for click and collect.

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Tarmac-Meltaway-Rock-Salt-Large-Bag/p/148169

#137664 Reply
    Brydo

No sun today, overcast with that horrible drizzle that soaks you.

#137666 Reply
    Georgie

We always put down plain old Cooking salt – 90p for 1.5kg from Waitrose.  Works a treat.

#137709 Reply
    joss

Wickes have rocksalt at £5 a bag, check stock in your local store for click and collect. https://www.wickes.co.uk/Tarmac-Meltaway-Rock-Salt-Large-Bag/p/148169

@Marc
      Thanks for the link. Just ordered 3 bags

Joss
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#137719 Reply
    Marc
    Participant

Wickes have rocksalt at £5 a bag, check stock in your local store for click and collect. https://www.wickes.co.uk/Tarmac-Meltaway-Rock-Salt-Large-Bag/p/148169

@Marc Thanks for the link. Just ordered 3 bags

No problem, just noticed Homebase also sell it at £5 a bag of anyone is struggling with local stock a Wickes.

Viewing 25 replies - 1,101 through 1,125 (of 1,212 total)
Reply To: Whats the weather like where you are today take 2
Your information: