Whats the weather like where you are today take 2

• Creator
    Topic
  • #86130 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Ive noticed a problem with the original thread, taking me to page 1 of the thread. Assuming its the same problem as my original Brexit thread (stolen by WMC lol) that there were too many pages, i have started another weather thread (stolen from lightbodyae55 lol).

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 25 replies - 1,001 through 1,025 (of 1,416 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #134963 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Cheers, Georgie. Will go take a look at Ms Pargeter’s background. More on books… have you come across Ben Aaronovich’s Rivers of London series? They’re a bit Marmite, I reckon, involving a small, eccentric section of The Met who deal with things supernatural. The Sweeney meets Harry Potter. I only bought the first one because the “hero” was a uniform PC based in Charing Cross nick and is a dead ringer for our son-in-law. After that, I got hooked, as did all of our kids. Rivers of London is the first one, given your Catholic taste in reading material, you might like…

#135007 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

At risk of teaching Weather Wafflers grandmas to suck eggs, please be aware that it is VERY icy outside. Anyone contemplating going out of the house on foot or, even more, using a motorised wheeled machine, please be careful. The ice here is of the black variety as I discovered on the garden paving!

#135202 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Icy, VERY icy. Crunchy underfoot and slidey under wheel (car thermo said -4C). Had to go to butchers this a.m. and Mini seems to handle the slippery thing quite well but driven proper careful. If not, I’ll be going sideways v quick. Mini computer needs to be told about basic laws of physics though, i.e., drop in temperature, means contraction of gas, equals lower pressure in said gas, like in tyres! Had gone about 100yds before there were bleeping flashing things going off all over and some doxy telling me that tyres were about to fall off and I was to be put in telephonic contact with emergency safety swat team. Had to pull over and hit a selection of touchscreens, buttons and levers to make her shut up and go away. No Chinook arrived with SAS so I assume it worked?

#135208 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

i had that on tuesday tharg i thought the countryman was about to implode or something, scared the crap out of me.

whatever happened to a simple red warning light and a gentle bing bong.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by mitch.
    #135215 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Good to hear that, Mitch. Well, not really, what I mean is that it’s good to hear that I ain’t the only one to get bleeps, bells and buzzers and that annoying tart jabbering at me. I wonder how many of us managed to turn it off before the Mini digital elves got the tyre-pressure SAS swat teams went into action.

#135227 Reply
    joss

@Tharg

Such a drama queen lol. I’m still chuckling here. No snow here, just horrible damp drizzle.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#135234 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Drama Queen? Moi..? 😎

#135240 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

if its fine over the weekend i am going to go and sit in the car with the manual and see how i can strangle the tart that lives within and cut off the bells and lights.

also the auto braking crap that cant tell the difference between a pedestrian and a falling maple leaf.

well i think its maple theyre that shape and the size of dinner plates they are all around the crescent and when the trees were shedding the car kept braking when they fell in front.

the wonders of modern tech.

#135260 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

While you are communing with the Mini digital doxy, perhaps you could acquaint her with the laws of physics as applied to tyres (above) and ask her what we have to do to stop her making those annoying vroomy noises in Mid and Sport settings.

#135284 Reply
    joss

Blimey Tharg have you not sorted  “vroomy” noises out yet!

Bimmer post says:

Active Sound Design
    Active Sound Design deactivation
    Deactivate the Active Sound Design. Use a backup to revert this coding once it has been applied.

Values:
    Deactivated
    Requirements:
    “Active Sound Design” ASD_01 control unit

Last week we brought you a story about an innovate technology BMW is working on called Active Sound Design. The primary use of the technology is in sound deadening using an electro-acoustic system (aka, your car’s stereo) to minimize or change the sound you here. This is particularly important for BMW when it comes to diesel cars, as the sound of a diesel is considered rather unattractive to luxury shoppers – particularly in North America.

But there’s another use of Active Sound Design too, namely, making your car sound cooler. BMW says its new electronic noise canceling technology can not only be used to just limit sound, but to let the right kind of sound through, matching the engine’s noise to how the car is being driven. In fact, BMW recently performed a little research project using cars equipped with its electro-acoustic system and cars without. The results are impressive. “Subsequent test drives showed that test persons, despite measurably identical longitudinal dynamics, judged the driving performance of the vehicle with integrated Active Sound Design to be better. The subjective in-vehicle impression was comparable to the sensation of an accelerating car with a stronger engine.”

To prove this point further, BMW recently build a MINI with the new Active Sound Design technology, giving the little 4-cylinder the sound of a big V8. Don’t believe it?

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#135305 Reply
    Georgie

Coo!  A lot to catch up on this morning.

Haven’t tried Rivers of London yet.  Just finished ‘Seventy-Seven Clocks’ – I love large, clockwork ‘Devices of Doom’.  Which part of London did you formerly abide in, if I may ask?  I have a long-time friend who I used to go up to London with during our late teens and early twenties (mostly the B,M., the Marquee Club and the Wong Kei for eats back when the waiters really were that rude but it hadn’t become a gimmick), and she moved to Kilburn High Road after she married, then to Friern Barnet, and now lives in Chingford, so I spent a lot of time scooting around various bits of London not only as a tourist but also just ‘going where the locals go’.

Bad weather driving – I’m not going out at the moment so it’s kinda moot.  If I do need to go out and the weather’s that bad then I suspect DH will elect to drive because he’d got a lot more ‘bad weather’ experience and now is not the time for me to get into an accident gaining more myself. 🙂

I think everyone knows my opinion of the shrieking Slam on the anchors ‘nanny alarm’ on my car which, according to the jolly picture that replaces all the actually useful information, is imminently about to explode like a Clown Car every time I a) drive under a bridge, or b) try to get it down the flippin’ drive.

#135348 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

@joss Thanks for that. Would buy the plug-in thingey but the removal of interior boot panel is a major operation involving removal of seat! The Bimmer code is also not on because I don’t have a mobile phone which, apparently, you have to have to do it. Would simply disconnect speaker through which it plays but, again, have to remove boot panel; Gonna ask dealers at service.

@Georgie
    Hail from “Sarf” London; East Lane market by Old Kent Road, few doors along from Charlie Chaplin’s birthplace. Went to school in shade of Tower Bridge (St Olaves) and used to work weekends/school hols as crew on pleasure boats from Westminster to Greenwich. So, my background is pretty much a “barrer-boy”, as we were disparagingly labelled at school, with large element of Thames thrown in (was born in St Thom’s, overlooking Westminster Bridge and Houses of Parliament. North London and the like was universally known to Sarf Londoners as “over the other side” and a foreign place! That said, used to wander round the centre and Royal Parks on foot/bike when a wee lad. Rowing on Regent’s Park lake was a treat!

#135388 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Very cold again. Thick frost with deadly ice-rink paving in garden. Lawn solid as a rock with crispy frost. To think they used to make me play rugby on surface like this when I was at school!

#135390 Reply
    joss

Clear sky’s and a heavy ground frost, But strangely enough, no frost on the cars. Tharg same here re Rugby on frozen ground. Every school boys right of passage.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#135393 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

lol yes i agree joss that brought back many memories of bruises and scrapes from frozen surfaces, i was a prop/hooker at school and the scrums were awful. but worse in those days were the rucks heaven help you if you ended up on the bottom in those days a good shoeing resulted no protection like today.

#135419 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Well chaps, thought it was just me who had to endure rugby winter horrors. And why was it always the psycho Welsh sports master who had failed to get into his national team and took it out on us!

Mitch – how did your software foray go? The bloody tyre pressure nonsense continues here. In order to turn off the alerts and beeps and squeaks you have to “re-set” the pressures – involving lots of touch screen stuff then driving around for some five miles or more while one’s car computer bleeps at tyres until it is happy! It was so much easier of the Superb – press one button and it all stopped.

#135500 Reply
    joss

I have ordered my OBD reader this morning.

Veepeak OBDCheck BLE OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner Auto OBD II Diagnostic Scan Tool for iOS & Android, Bluetooth 4.0 Car Check Engine Light Code Reader Supports Torque, OBD Fusion app for use with Bimmercode.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#135540 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Hi, Joss. The Luddite in me wants to say, “WTF”? But the growing tekkie almost knows what all that means. It’s a widget which you plug into your car’s computer(s), right? It can be used to tell the car to do something differently (like stop making vroomy noises). It would seem I might be able to use it with a tablet, i.e. no tw@fone needed. My fear is that I would press just one, tiny, little thing wrong and the Mini would die, never to go again. Enjoy your new widget, Jos. Do let us know what it’ll do.

#135549 Reply
    joss

@Tharg Primally It is a device that give you access to the on board computers of your car, of which there are many on modern cars. Technicians use it to fault find by reading error codes. However. There is a lot more to it than that. (and yes you can use a tablet or laptop)

Along with the OBD you will need soft wear to read the info. This is where Bimmer Code comes in. Once you have made the connection, the first thing Bimmer code does is to make a back up. You can not brick the ecu! by the way. There are loads of Videos on how to use Bimmer code on you tube by the way. So I suggest taking time to review the videos before attempting any thing. If it is something you want to delve into Let me know and I will open a new thread in the tech section. I am just aware we are taking over the Weather thread.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#135550 Reply
    joss

Today weather is dry and temps in car say 5.5 degrees C. Even though slightly warmer, it still feels cold due to a good breeze.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#135573 Reply
    Brydo

Heavy rain overnight and thankfully we are now snow free.

On another note I can already see that this white xc40 is going to be a nightmare to keep clean. Looks like I will be a regular visitor to the Polish car cleaners at the top of the hill.

#135580 Reply
    joss

Get yourself a pressure wash Brydo and a snow lance to fit pressure washer oh and a wash mitt

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#135592 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Weather: grey, damp but thankfully warmer. Ordinary hat now order of day, no longer the stupid looking, but warm, USAAF bomber crew furry thing.

Joss, thanks for that. Will look into it and let you know if I will take the leap or go on vroooming.

Brydo – I’d be very cagey about using car-wash crews, at least until I’ve had me vaccine. Still v dodgy and, as I’ve posted elsewhere, my GP surgery has today stopped doing ALL face-to-face consults, so I reckon the threat remains high for at least two weeks.

#135593 Reply
    Brydo

Have a pressure washer joss but nobody who likes using it 😂

#135805 Reply
    Georgie

Nice day yesterday, but back to rain today.  Still, it’s nice to feel warm again.

A squirrel has appeared in the garden again, but I don’t know if it’s the same one – if it is then he’s completely forgotten how to work the hazelnut feeder after his 5 day absence!

Viewing 25 replies - 1,001 through 1,025 (of 1,416 total)
Reply To: Reply #135260 in Whats the weather like where you are today take 2
Your information: