Whats the weather like where you are today take 2

• This topic has 881 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 2 days, 1 hour ago by Georgie.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #86130 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Ive noticed a problem with the original thread, taking me to page 1 of the thread. Assuming its the same problem as my original Brexit thread (stolen by WMC lol) that there were too many pages, i have started another weather thread (stolen from lightbodyae55 lol).

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 25 replies - 751 through 775 (of 881 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #126198 Reply
    Georgie

Light cloud.  Light breeze.  Looks like it’ll be a nice day.

Just learned Eddie Van Halen died yesterday.   🙁  So listening to ‘Respect the Wind’.

#126205 Reply
    Tharg

Same here. Warm-ish, sunny, light wind. Grass may dry enough to get mown.

#126212 Reply
    ajn

Dry sunny but cold, must the nuts full again due to Great tits…

#126213 Reply
    ajn

get*

#126236 Reply
    Georgie

I cleaned and refilled the bird bath and the water bowl this morning, and the mesh ‘seed tray’ looks like it’s finally dry enough to clean and fill.  When it’s wet the mesh tends to clog up with bits of sunflower hearts.

Have ordered some hazelnuts for the squirrels.  I want to start ‘training’ this years youngsters in how to use the nut feeder while there are still other food sources around.  Once it freezes or snows they’ll need instant access to calories.

#126246 Reply
    ajn
    Participant

Georgie we got a sparrowhawk been taking a few of the birds from the feeder so they are all a bit jittery here at the moment, Been here through the summer.

It’s also had a few feral pigeons too, not sure if it will move on in the Winter months.

#126311 Reply
    Tharg

Wet, chilly, no sun. Bleurgh! Said to improve later. Hope so since we are booked to go to church hall for, totally distanced, masked and shielded flu jab.

#126390 Reply
    Tharg

Well, they SAID it was to be “masked, shielded and distanced”. Unfortunately, they can’t have told the people attending! This was a special session for us crumblies; arrived to find around 200+ queued out of the church and round the corner. Very few masks. Distancing? Now I know that because of our advanced years we can get confused sometimes but TWO metres is not HALF a metre, the latter being the max distance between folks in the queue. Gave up; went home. Must try to find a safe way to get a flu jab.

#126398 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

@Tharg

Asda are doing a drive thru at these stores: Accrington; Bodmin; Eastbourne; Gosport; Hartlepool; Hyde; Nuneaton; Old Kent Road; Oldbury; Pilsworth; Sheffield; South Shields; Wakefield Durkar.

Telephone the store for an appointment – it cannot be booked online
    During the consultation over the phone, people will be given a time slot.

#126399 Reply
    joss
    Participant

@wmcforum  Add Doncaster Asda to list

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's
    "It is a great ability to be able to conceal one's ability."

#126400 Reply
    Tharg

@joss and @wmcforum thanks very much, gents. Much appreciated. Closest one on list is Gosport, about 90 minutes drive. Bit of a haul but the Mini could do with actually being used. Just have to persuade Madam to take the trip. Thanks again – what a brilliant site/forum this is!

#126438 Reply
    Georgie

Lovely morning.  Crisp and sunny.  Wish it had been clear skies the last two evenings, though, because it was the Draconid meteor shower and I saw nothing.

ajn – Yes, sparrowhawks target our garden, too, from time to time.  The bird table is only about 4ft from bushes, which protect the little birds a bit, and there’s a metal cross-piece above the seed tray to foil attacks from above – but the stupid doves perch on that and then Whoosh!  Gone.  But then, sparrowhawks have to live too, so . . .   I actually managed to film a sparrowhawk plucking and eating a dove in the back garden a few years ago because it was happening just outside the kitchen window.  It was a bit gruesome, actually, because the poor dove was still alive.  ‘Mother’ Nature is Red in Tooth and Claw.

Meanwhile, in Other News . . .

Our ‘Flu jabs are booked for Tuesday morning at the GP Surgery.  They’re doing it ‘Drive Through’ style – arrive at the appointed time (10 minutes apart, I think), stay in the car, masks on, wind down window, get jabbed, drive away.

Unless it’s raining, in which case we have to park, wait till we’re summonsed, mask up, don gloves, go in the back door, get jabbed, come out the front door and drive away.  Clearly setting up a bijou marquee in the car park to keep their staff dry is beyond them.

I really hope it doesn’t rain. 😉

#126442 Reply
    joss
    Participant

Well it’s looking like it’s good start to the day with bright pink sky. Have no looked on weather map yet. I will leave that alone today.

@Georgie
      had my flu jab 3 weeks back at GP’s surgery. It was well organised. In one door, jab and out of another door. What irks me is my wife Lynn who is my main carer can not get a jab at the surgery. Lynn has to go to the chemist to get hers done.  Grrrrr.

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's
    "It is a great ability to be able to conceal one's ability."

#126447 Reply
    Tharg

Bright and clear with a promise of growing not too chilly. Jolly cheerful weather. As I said, above, had trouble getting “walk-thru” flu jab at church. Now checking with GP and pharmacist about their safety measures before investigating the Asda drive-in at Gosport or Eastbourne.

#126540 Reply
    Tharg

Weather viciously variable again. Bright and clear one minute; wall of water the next. “Bleurgh” does not cover it.

Local GP (at least their so-called receptionist) completely unhelpful, rude and bordering on nasty. Told Madam T (who is over 65 and is on the Clinically Extremely Vulnerable list) that she could not have a jab because she was only a “medium” risk on the surgery records. Surgery does not operate shielded appointments for jabs. You just have to turn up and wait together with lots of others in waiting room. Wish I had the will and energy left to take them to task but I just can’t get involved with the “INOF” departments again. The whole of the NHS is permeated with a welter of staff whose job is to prove It’s Not Our Fault – thus the acronym. Have battled with them in the past and you cannot win; they close ranks and lie their way out of everything.

#126579 Reply
    Georgie

“Oh, what a beautiful morning . . .

Coldish start, but nice and sunny now – if not exactly warm.  Someone’s just fired up their lawn-mower, but it doesn’t sound like a steam traction engine, so I don’t think it’s Thargs.

#126583 Reply
    Tharg

Bright and fair early on. Clouding up a bit now. If rain holds off long enough I may cut lawn p.m. Cannot use the Brunel today. Grass too wet for cylinder model and can’t be bothered to get steam up. So will have to use the petrol rotary…

#126591 Reply
    Georgie

Not the Triumph V twin?  Or (titter ye not!) the Wankel?

#126597 Reply
    Tharg

The Wankel (not tittering, matron) is actually a very good motor for rotary mower. Right shape and would only need a lightweight simple gear train to drive the blade. Just Googled it and it’s been done! A firm called Sachs made and sold them in early 70s. This one has its head (side?) off to prove the rotary piston is actually there…

For larger jobs, a cut-down version of the Wright cyclone radial aircraft engine would also be brilliant (and guaranteed to annoy neighbours).

#126841 Reply
    Georgie

Sunny this morning, was going to go out but then it hailed!  So I stayed home.

Had a friend with a Wankel engine Sukuki back in the day.  As I recall it packed a punch for a small engine power to weight ratio and all that) plus made for a really smooth ride.  I’m surprised they never caught on, actually.

I tried to find some video of a jet/rocket powered lawn mower, but though there were lots of mowers with a jet/rocket moving them along, none of them appeared to actually cut any grass.  Now you might call me ‘fussy’, but . . .

#126844 Reply
    Tharg

Weather OK. Everything else crap. Madam T in A&E with, as yet, undiagnosed apparent blockage in alimentary canal/stomach. Hit by massive stomach pain yesterday, she described it as worse than childbirth. Ambulance crew very good. Ambulance call service absolute shyte. Took three hours to get here. Only made it “urgent” when couldn’t hear me speak on phone because of shrieks of pain from madam!

Likely to have emergency surgery later today. Things still unclear. What a bloody irony?! Spend six months strictly self-isolating; no contact with family, friend, shops, neighbours. Now thrust into bloody Worthing hospital, famous (infamous?) for crap hygiene on wards and with plenty of Covid disease-vectors inside.

Just wait and see what gets her first: Covid19 or what even our GP calls “Hospital Pneumonia” from Worthing’s dirty wards.

#126846 Reply
    Georgie

Good grief I’m so sorry!  Poor Mrs. T.  Poor Tharg!  You must be worried sick.

{{{{{Tharg and Mrs. Tharg}}}}}

Yes, the Ambulance call ‘service’ leaves a LOT to be desired.  Took them 4 hours to send an Ambulance for my 88 year old mum a few months ago when she fell and broke her wrist in two places.  She couldn’t get up off the kitchen floor, sister couldn’t lift her, neighbours couldn’t help due to self-isolating, etc.   Took 3 ‘phone calls to get them to do anything.  Bloody disgusting.

Too right about NHS Hospital ‘cleanliness’, too.  I’ve been in a fair few over the last few years and some were frightful – blood on the floor in the room where I had a lumbar puncture, decidedly grey sheets.  Jewel in the Crown?  Not any more.  10 years of Tory cuts have made sure of that.

Please keep us informed of her progress.  And don’t forget to look after yourself, too, Tharg.  She’s going to need you more than ever when she comes home again.

t.c.

#126851 Reply
    Brydo

I’m thinking of you and your wife tharg, give her the best from all on the forum and i hope all goes well and your back in your house very soon,

#126880 Reply
    Tharg

Thank you so, so much for good wishes. Confess it brought more than a little moisture to eyes to know that someone cares! Will know more by morning, I hope. And will keep you up-to-date. Biggest worry is over-infection by ward lack of cleanliness. Madam’s mother went in with a broken hip about three years back. She died two weeks later of pneumonia, contracted in the ward, along with three others in same ward who’d also gone in with musculo-skeletal conditions.

Tily and I really appreciate the { }s.

#126881 Reply
    Tharg

Should, of course, read “Tilly”. Moisture buggering up focus!

Viewing 25 replies - 751 through 775 (of 881 total)
Reply To: Whats the weather like where you are today take 2
Your information: