Whats the weather like where you are today take 2

• Creator
    Topic
  • #86130 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Ive noticed a problem with the original thread, taking me to page 1 of the thread. Assuming its the same problem as my original Brexit thread (stolen by WMC lol) that there were too many pages, i have started another weather thread (stolen from lightbodyae55 lol).

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 25 replies - 701 through 725 (of 815 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #123795 Reply
    Georgie

Well, I don’t really want to see casual racism and anti-semitism at all – but I know what you mean. 🙂

Mind you, I grew up reading Enid Blyton (well documented – John Lennon called her ‘Evil Blyter’) and Eleanor M. Brent-Dyer (‘The Chalet School’ series) and I think I turned out okay.

#123990 Reply
    Tharg

Weather been a real delight here for a few days; like mild Mediterranean climate, very gentle heat. Finding any excuse for gardening in a mild sort of way.

Agree about the racism, Georgie. It just amazes, or even shocks, me to read major novels from 20s and 30s where it is so prevalent. Anti-semitism likewise. Put it down to (anti-)Social History!

Finished Thursday Murder Club. Not bad, entertaining, although he takes a few liberties here and there. Understand Spielberg intents to make a film from it. If he moves it to USA, from Kentish Weald, it won’t work. Am now hooked on Cadfael; first ten pages and that was it. Got to read it all, now! Have studied mediaeval period in past and Peters/Pargeter seems to have got it perfect, right down to grass roots levels of ploughing, farming etc.

#124028 Reply
    Georgie

Nice couple of days spent mostly reading with the patio doors open.  No feathery intruders any more, of course – they’re all ‘grown and flown’.  A couple of successful raids by the Sparrowhawk (bird table now down by two collared doves) and the Buzzards are keeling very high up, looking for rabbits.

Roses have suddenly decided to have one last flourish, and even the weigela are hanging in there – pink by the front door, ruby by the back door.  Absolutely bumper apple crop from such a small tree – 3 orange crates full stored in the garage and some left on the tree for the very possessive blackbirds.  They’re beautifully sweet green apples, but I’ve no idea what variety because the tree was already here when we arrived.  It’s the sole survivor, I’m afraid: the plum tree (Victoria, I think) broke under the weight of snow and fell over, demolishing the shed; the pear tree was swallowed by the bamboo (woody pears, so no great loss); and the grape vine succumbed to my gardening ‘talents’.  There is also a cherry tree, but the birds always denude it of fruit long before it’s ripe.

Tharg – Yes, location changes rarely do work when they make films of books in the same way that US versions of British TV series usually don’t work – US ‘Fawlty Towers’ and ‘Life on Mars’ are two painful examples.  It would be like the BBC trying to make ‘Frasier’.

Glad you like the Cadfael, they are very engaging and excellently researched.  I’m another sucker for History, though my interests go back a bit further – Classical Greece (6th – 4th BC) and Roman (1BC Late Republic – 2AD Imperial).  When I had to give up work I toddled off and got myself a Bachelor’s in Classical History (not languages – I’m rubbish at languages!) and been hooked ever since. 🙂

#124034 Reply
    Tharg

Cooler today but still clear, bright and sunny. Should go to 25-ishC with luck. Light warm breeze. Definite flavour of autumn. Whingeing Toms nearly finished now but pears still going strong. Hard as rock right now, need two weeks post-picking before ready to eat. Can nevertheless be poached in wine/amaretto as a dessert with ice cream.

Medieval period still holds my interest, as do the Celts. Did a project on them for A-level, quite fascinating. Have tried to study ancient Chinese history but got defeated by the names; couldn’t keep track of who was whom!

#124055 Reply
    Georgie

I know what you mean.  Look at Alfred the Great – son of Aethelwulf, with older brothers Aethelstan, Aethelbold, Aethelberht and Aethelred, plus sister Aethelswith – not to be confused with his wife Ealhswith (daughter of Aethelred, a lord of neighbouring Mercia) or their daughters Aethelflaed (who married Aethelred, king of Mercia), Aethelgifu, Aethelweard and Aelfthryth.

#124072 Reply
    Tharg

Just thank the gods that they didn’t have supermarkets. Imagine the confusion trying to call out for a missing child. You’d be overcome by confused Aethlys. Russian novels are much the same. Keep hopping back to “cast list” at front until you get so confused you give up. However, I have read all of the Erast Fandorin books by Boris Akunin. Fandorin is a sort-of detective in imperial Russia. Adventures odd and eccentric and with similarly strange but very entertaining characters.

#124213 Reply
    Tharg

Again, delightful warm and sunny WHEN it decided to warm up. Started at about 20C at 7.30am, probably hit 25C+ later. Definite hint of autumn about the evening. All it needs is a hint of woodsmoke from a wood-burner and I’ll be digging out me woolies! Going out to look at our bats now – before they nod off for the winter.

#124237 Reply
    Georgie

Light cloud this morning, quite a pretty Sunrise.

I forgot to say earlier – ‘Lord Peter Views the Body’ (just finished) has an Introduction by Christopher Fowler, who I hadn’t even heard of ’til you mentioned him the other day.

I’m definitely going to have to get that ‘Bryant and May’ series!

#124247 Reply
    Tharg

Much more chilly a.m. Should warm up later, allegedly, don’t think it’ll quite make shorts temperature though. Fowler is a bit of an authority on Golden Age mysteries. Often recommends “obscure” books from the period and his choices are worth following up – he is a fan of Edmund Crispin who wrote the classic “The Moving Toyshop” – hero of this is English professor Gervase Fen, got to love the name.

#124266 Reply
    Georgie

I was reading about ‘The Moving Toyshop’ earlier this week.  The Merry-go-round ending was pinched (uncredited) by Alfred Hitchcock in Strangers on a Train.

#124286 Reply
    Tharg

Didn’t know Hitchcock lifted the Toyshop ending. Must be some 50 years since I saw the film. Read the book recently though and enjoyed greatly. Totally unexpected stuff and v eccentric. And, of course, the name. Wonder whether one might find Gervase Fen as a village in Essex. Have often been on verge of writing a whodunnit just so I could name characters after places spotted on road signs in the county: the detective Hemmingford Gray; his girlfriend Saffron Walden; and the evil, murderous twins Brent and Furneux Pelham.

#124380 Reply
    Georgie

Furneux Pelham is a particularly good one – An utter cad and absolute bounder if ever there was one!

I play this game a lot, especially around Winchester.  I give you:

Our Illustrious Hero – Goodworth Clatford;

The duplicitous identical Candover triplets Preston, Chilton and Brown;

Detectives Barton Stacey and his younger, scientifically inclined brother Newton Stacey;

Solicitors Longstock, Fullerton and Wherwell – “Discrete Service – No Questions Asked (or Answered)”;

and the Lord of the Manor, Kings Worthy, with his three sons Headbourne, Abbots and Martyr (who nobly suffers in silence from a nasty case of Itchen Abbas – an unfortunate but unspecified medical condition normally confined to sheep); plus their elderly Retainer ‘Old Sarum’.

#124393 Reply
    Tharg

Brilliant, all of ’em! A map and a sense of humour is all you need to name characters. Many moons ago, I had to conjour up a number of names for fictional planets in my stories. Quite relevant here actually, because I chose car names from the 50s, starting with Vauxhalls: Wyvern, Velox, Cresta etc. Must add that this was before HHGTG and Ford Prefect.

Weather still doing impersonation of mild mediterranean. Will do same tomorrow with 24/25C but plunge to 12/13C by Friday. Where’s bloody global warming when you need it?

#124449 Reply
    Tharg

Bright, sunny a.m.24C. Clouding up now. Temp dropping. Forecast is for 13C or less by end of week. So, farewell then, summer… Shorts worn for last time today, I think. Will perform terminal rites later on tonight; Last Post on stereo; summer clobber neatly folded and consigned to washing mek for last time before being nestled, sadly, in the wardrobe of winter.

#124450 Reply
    Georgie

Weather so nice yesterday that I took myself for a pootle over to Highcliffe.  Car parks too busy to get out of the car at the Castle and the Crows Nest, so pootled home again via Lyndhurst as the Ringwood to Salisbury road (usual route back – beautiful road) is closed for roadworks all month.  Drove past a pub called the ‘Empress of Blandings’ just north of Cadnam, which put a silly grin on my face!  Actually drove past the turning for the Worthys after Winchester, but it seemed impolite to turn up uninvited – though I’m sure they would have welcomed be graciously.

Your 1950’s ‘Vauxhall planets’ instantly led me to spaceships doing the ‘Cresta run’.  The Velox definitely sound a bit Star Trekky.  I must just be in that frame of mind today. 🙂

#124469 Reply
    Tharg

Very well, Commander Georgie. Pork factor three. Bake it so…

Cue Goldsmith theme; Da dada daaa….

#124662 Reply
    Tharg

Variable is the only word – goes from Meh to Bleugh. Right now, bright sun, warm-ish, fluffy clouds. Yesterday, just about everything including a tropical-volume downpour wall-of-water with hail while Madam was out with dog. Had to undertake rescue mission in Mini as I imagined them soaked to the skin and v. unhappy. Found them quarter mile away, perfectly dry and happy – not even the slightest hint of precipitation where they had been!

#124684 Reply
    Georgie

Mrs. Tharg and dog have the same skill for dodging the rain that my DH has.  Downpour + hail started this morning just as he ducked back under the porch after going to post a letter for me.  Rain waits for me to leave the house before it starts – I can get drenched from a dry start in the 50 seconds it takes to go out and feed the birds.

I’ve spent the last couple of days, on and off, merrily rearranging my bookcases to make way for further Wimsey books.  Choosing which to keep downstairs and which to take upstairs, who goes where and at what level to evenly load the shelves . . .  Bliss!

(Of course, now my knees feel like they’re full of glass shards, but the Game was worth the Candle as far as I’m concerned.)

#124685 Reply
    Tharg

Aah… the delights of an ordered bookshelf. Wish I had time/capability to sort mine out. Most are low-level and require kneeling down to access; this is v painful and getting up requires degree in the physics of leverage at quantum level. Finished first Cadfael and am completely hooked. Shall ration myself rather than blitzing all at once. BTW if you have trouble getting any of the Wimsey books, let me know. I have most, if not all, of them and would happily pass them on somehow.

#124702 Reply
    Georgie

Yes, bending down is a bit of a no-no for me, too.  But most of the bookcases are now in the dining-room so when I initially loaded them up I was able to put the big books on the table and then transfer them down onto the bottom 2 rows while sitting on a dining chair between the table and the cases.  The new ‘surplus’ were transferred upstairs to my bedroom bookcases packed into an empty picnic basket!  (As Cicero wrote: A room without books is as a body without a soul.)

#124720 Reply
    Tharg

It is now officially autumn; cold (14C), wet, overcast and miserable. Rain god very busy overnight. At least the lawn is now green again.

#124745 Reply
    Georgie

Spent yesterday wearing long sleeved shirt under my T-shirt, leggings under my jeans and bed socks under my ‘day’ socks.  This morning we just put the heating on.

Defeatist, I know.  I’ve become a Southern softie. 🙂

#124788 Reply
    Tharg

Really, what a wuss! Temperature climbed to 16C so, on with the swimming shorts, jog down to beach and swim in freezing oggin for half an hour. Stretched out on lounger to get goose-pimples a delicate bluish-pink.

Back in real world, our central heating has been on for two days; now wearing three layers (roll-neck, shirt, jumper). Madam T is draped in fur coat. Well, a furry, leopard pattern jerkin thingey.

#124826 Reply
    Georgie

You had me going there, for a moment.  “draped in fur coat” indeed.  In  September!  Surely her furs remain in the vault until mid-October?  And then, when they’re out, it’s always the same old question – the Mink jacket or the full Sable?  Sable has such lovely Autumn tones, don’t you think?

The White Fox is held back for the slopes, of course.  It wears so well at St. Moritz . . .

#124842 Reply
    Tharg

Agree that Arctic Fox is good for the slopes but the Panda is better, don’t you think? That touch of contrast adds an indefineable edge.

Viewing 25 replies - 701 through 725 (of 815 total)
Reply To: Whats the weather like where you are today take 2
Your information: