Whats the weather like where you are today take 2

• This topic has 803 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 21 minutes ago by Tharg.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #86130 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Ive noticed a problem with the original thread, taking me to page 1 of the thread. Assuming its the same problem as my original Brexit thread (stolen by WMC lol) that there were too many pages, i have started another weather thread (stolen from lightbodyae55 lol).

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 25 replies - 676 through 700 (of 803 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #122989 Reply
    Tharg

Thanks, Joss. Will look into that. And I wouldn’t worry about hi-jacking this thread. As in real life, talking about weather is just what we do to get an  excuse to babble about nothing and everything in particular.

#123037 Reply
    Tharg

@Joss Mate – got a message re a post from you about software. It didn’t appear here but will use link on msg to have a look. Might take some time as Madam T is trying to make new Twatphone work and dealing with invective AND impossible instructions is taking up time!

Weather started warm and sunny, now overcast just started raining.Quite warm still.

#123001 Reply
    joss
    Participant

Lovely fresh day here. Sun is out no clouds so a little cool but that suits me fine.

@Tharg

You might be interested in this Linux version called Mint V2.0 https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3928

Let me know what you think.

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's
    "It is a great ability to be able to conceal one's ability."

#123198 Reply
    Georgie

Weather’s still a bit ‘Meh’, but at least it’s warmed up a bit.  Indoor temp throughout is a steady 20c.

Not much going on.  Other than the usual I’m just reading the ‘Lord Peter Wimsey’ mysteries or playing ‘Tharsis’ (very frustrating and very addictive!).  Hoping to see my mum in person next week – albeit meeting up at the back of Tesco car park and speaking from a distance through the open windows!

#123199 Reply
    Tharg

Weather also Meh here. Cloudy, warm-ish, no rain, just the threat of it. Major job of day is finishing new batch of Crab Apple Jelly; neighbours clamouring for more(?).

Very fond of Wimsey. Plots and characters all delightfully eccentric or really wacky: try The Nine Tailors, quite mad.

Still struggling with the computer stuff, Joss. Much of it is well tekkie and goes over me head. Will soldier on though…

#123229 Reply
    Georgie

I have the whole set, Tharg.  My old copies are so worn out that I’m replacing them.  I love collecting matching sets of books – it pleases me.

#123232 Reply
    Tharg

Much the same here, Georgie. Love the Penguin green-and-white paperbacks for Sayers. Have a complete set (I think) of Ngaio Marsh who is well underrated. Have you come across the “Bryant and May” series by Christopher Fowler? Very recent books, but in style, much like the classics. Most entertaining, great characters, very eccentric and laugh-out-loud in places.

#123239 Reply
    joss
    Participant

Everything is Meh including the weather. Tharg you know where the PC help thread is if you need it

Joss
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#123242 Reply
    Tharg

Bright, sunny, warm. Can’t last but it’s good for now. Will look in on PC Help, Joss, when I’ve finished reading the stuff. (Had forgotten it was there!). Cheers

#123401 Reply
    Georgie

Warm in the sunshine while I was changing the water in the birdbath, earlier.  Cloudy now.  Hoping for better things by the end of the week.

Did washing and hoovering this morning, and now I have no energy left for doing some actual work.  I just keep rereading the same stuff over and over and nothing’s going in!

Tharg – Sister definitely had a lot of Ngaio Marsh books – I may have to borrow them at some point, assuming they haven’t been re-homed.  Haven’t encountered Christopher Fowler, yet.

#123406 Reply
    Tharg

Weather situation much the same here. Bright, sunny a.m.. Madam T actually went into shorts but then back into jeans p.m. with  increased cloud and decreased temperature. Cut neighbour’s lawn and now planning a retake on latest tomato chutney (too runny, so liquidising one pot and thickening it to make new base for other pots.)

Do take a look at Mr Fowler’s books if poss. As a fellow fan of “Golden Age” mysteries, I’d be interested to hear what you think. They are seriously London-based so it helps if you know the city, old and new.

#123425 Reply
    Georgie

‘Full, Dark House’ is in my Amazon basket, Tharg.  Not sure when I’ll actually get it, though – I’m only 4 books into replacing and completing my Wimsey collection.  To which end, I’m off to bed with ‘Clouds of Witness’. 🙂

#123451 Reply
    Tharg

Weather is grey but according to Beeb forecast going to get less grey and warmer. Certainly would welcome a few more degrees – had to turn on central heating for first time this a.m.!

Hope you enjoy Messers Bryant and May, Georgie.And do take a look at Ms Marsh’s Insp Alleyn if your sister’s books survive. Another choice from Golden Age would be Campion by Margery Allingham. Prime novels in series written between 1929 and late-ish 60s. The tales/characters get very odd and eccentric in parts but well worth a look. Also Dalgleish by P D James – spanning a ridiculous time frame, but always liked the peeler poet idea.

#123488 Reply
    Georgie

Weather now much improved.  Quite warm in the sunshine!

Never really got on with PD James, for some reason.  Or Colin Dexter’s Morse – great TV, but the books didn’t engage me.  Characters are too ‘hard’.  Lord Peter Wimsey is a bit too far the other way – Sherlock Wooster – but fine for a bit of light reading.  (Certainly a good respite from ‘A History of Greece: pt 2 – Cycladic Civilisation of Ancient Greece 3000BC – 1100BC’.’  A reet laff riot, that!  As I said yesterday(?) “Nothing’s going in!”)

Perusing the bookcases . . . I think, over all, my favourite Detective is probably Ellis Peters’ Brother Cadfael.  Not that many books, but very well researched, engaging characters and beautifully written.

#123496 Reply
    Tharg

Well, how dramatic a change is that? Central heating a.m. ; but shorts called for p.m. as temp hit 22C. Still warm even now. Bright and sunny.

Sorry you don’t get on with PDJ; have a soft spot for Dalgleish basically because I went to school with Roy Marsden who played him on telly. He was many years ahead of me, totally unaware of my existence but everyone remembered his Caesar at school play. Have never got on with the Morse books meself. Like the tv Cadfael; never read any, shall put that right as soon as.

Just received The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman; seems promising. Osman one of those incredibly annoying folks, like Hugh Laurie, who will try anything and be brilliant at it. Will keep you informed.

#123607 Reply
    Tharg

Light cloud, warm-ish and promises to clear a bit more. If so, should be decently warm like yesterday (about 20C). No complaints, thanks you. Hope to apply my “Brunel” mower to grass this p.m.

#123638 Reply
    Georgie

Longish old day today.  Weather slightly better than I expected, which is just as well because I drove up to Oxford this morning to visit my mum and sister.  Sat in the garden – nice in the sunshine, playing with the cat, eating apples picked straight off the tree and chatting as I drank the Little’s Hazelnut Coffee I took with me in a thermos.  Lovely time. 🙂

Two more Wimsey’s arrived in the post this morning, with a further two expected next week.  Jolly good!

Like the sound of the ‘Brunel’ lawn mower – makes me think of magnificent Victorian Engineering.  Mind you, it sounds like it might be a bit heavy to handle, being made from wrought iron, as such.  It it steam-powered?

#123648 Reply
    joss
    Participant

T’was a nice day, but cool outside. Sky turned up to fit a new dish and cable for my change over to a sky Q box.

Nice sky lady, yes a lady I say all dressed in her sky livery. Helmet. ear protectors, visor and LED light. Not to mention full safety harness. I was amazed of the amount of gear she upon her person and belt. I watch as she put up the ladders, screwed to wall via a tether.

The lady knew her stuff and dis a first class job.  Good job the weather was dry for you I said. The lady replied come rain or shine, we don’t stop the job.

Joss
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#123666 Reply
    Tharg

Must agree, Joss. Sky’s people seem very professional and know what they’re doing. Pity the reception and TV service is so bad. Audio quality is rubbish and you have to pay extra for almost everything like sport or films. Wish we could get Virgin here.

Sadly my “Brunel” is not steam powered. Wouldn’t that be brilliant?! It’s actually a Qualcast 1950s jobbie. But feels like Isambard K designed it, being almost exclusively cast iron; none of this namby-pamby alloy here! Entirely foot-powered but so well balanced it is dead easy to use.

Glad your Wimseys arrived, Georgie. Got my Cadfael omnibus (first three books) today. First on list when I finish Mr Osman’s book. Only issue I have with Wimsey is that every present participle loses its endin’; this is an ongoin’ undertakin’ and can be a bit annoyin’.

#123746 Reply
    Tharg

Bright, some cloud and warm. Heading for 25C-ish according to Beeb. Tomorrow they say it should hit 30C. Hmmmm.

Steam-powered lawnmowers DO exist, look…

Can I have one, please? Would Motability put one on the scheme?

#123770 Reply
    joss
    Participant

Has been a lovely day here. Loving the steam mower Tharg. Steam punk style

Joss
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#123773 Reply
    Tharg

Glad the weather gods did well for you, Joss. Same here. Warmed up nicely and was able to a bit of garden pottering. Shorts were order of the day! If you Google steam-powered lawn mower you’ll find a whole host of super steampunk engines!

#123788 Reply
    Georgie

Truly a Thing of Beauty.  Knocks the old Flymo into a cocked hat, doesn’t it! 😀

Joss – Your Sky lady reminds me of my ex-sister-in-law: She worked for Thames Water and part of her job was to drive to remote sites to take water samples.  There was nothing to her  – 5′ 1″ and not much over six stone but she used to shift manhole covers, shinny up and down ladders into sewers, and drive a damn great truck to remote sites to run tests.  She had to use a drop-down double step to get in and out of that truck.

Tharg – Yes, Wimsey can get a bit grating sometimes.  I can make allowances for the appalling anti-Semitism and casual racism (such different times), but the ‘voice’ can be a bit irritating.  Indeed, I sometimes wonder how Bunter put up with him.  Still, a calming influence will hove into view from ‘Strong Poison’ onward, so I shall persevere!

#123792 Reply
    Tharg

Despite Beeb forecast of 25C, already well past that. Car says it’s 26C and kitchen (thermometer now repaired) says 29C. Clear, bright etc. Beach roads already wallowing in lemmings. Shorts and mild gardening, I think.

#123793 Reply
    Tharg

BTW, if you want to see casual racism and anti-semitism then look no further than Buchan’s Hannay series (five books, I think). On another tack, terrorists murdering MPs today would be arch villains, but go to Edgar Wallace’s “Four Just Men” and they are the heroes of the day! Times change…

Viewing 25 replies - 676 through 700 (of 803 total)
Reply To: Whats the weather like where you are today take 2
Your information: