Whats the weather like where you are today take 2

• Creator
    Topic
  • #86130 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Ive noticed a problem with the original thread, taking me to page 1 of the thread. Assuming its the same problem as my original Brexit thread (stolen by WMC lol) that there were too many pages, i have started another weather thread (stolen from lightbodyae55 lol).

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 25 replies - 651 through 675 (of 812 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #122432 Reply
    Georgie

Don’t worry, Tharg, the Char Sui Pork was a Waitrose ready meal, but it is exceptionally good and I recommend it.  Better than from any Take-Away, I’d say.  I did make the egg fried rice, though. 🙂  I do enjoy cooking, but have to leave it for the really good days.

I’m not a huge Gamer, and most of the ones I like are pretty old.  But when I’m immobile or can’t concentrate on reading/studying (which is what I spend most of my time doing during the week) it makes a change from just watching TV all day.

How did you get on with that kebab?

#122434 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Kebab was brill. Curious that little “St Mary Mead” classic English village should have its own Turkish/Cypriot kebab parlour but it does and the quality is superb. AND no cooking involved for first time in six months. Felt really weird.

Must try the Waitrose Char Siu. Their Salt Beef ready meal is really good. All this, of course, implies that I am able to place an order with them without undergoing a total red-mist breakdown. Unable to get delivery unless I stay up to midnight; gone for click-collect instead. Even checking out order is a nightmare when the Waitrose “computer sez no”. It lost a complete update last week and I had to re-enter all items. Then it refused to check out at all on day before delivery. If it gets any worse, I reckon it’ll be Tesco and Asda only!

#122488 Reply
    Georgie

Wet and windy today!

Poor little squirrel’s almost getting blown away as he skitters across the patio with a mouth fill of filberts from the trees out the front.  Soon there will be trees out the back again as well, if even a tenth of the one’s he’s buried grow.  The squirrels keep burying nuts along the side where the toilet waste pipe runs, so the saplings have to be removed pdq when we spot them.

Can’t really see Miss Marple (of any incarnation, though Joan Hickson was mine) tucking into a quick kebab.  Not being a fan of them (always been a ‘Burger in a Bun’ gal myself) I don’t even know where my nearest kebab shop is.

I’ve been very lucky – having already been an on-line delivery customer for the last few years, during which time I must have mentioned that I’m disabled in some e-mail or other, I was automatically offered access to the precious Reserved Delivery slots.  Have to check availability every morning, but so far I’ve managed to get Deliveries at my usual Delivery day and time, or within a couple of hours either side of it.  The worst thing that’s happened is they once forgot to delivery the milk one morning, but they made a second trip and brought in mid-afternoon.

So now I’m stuck in my chair, nursing sciatica and a grindy, growly back.  Ah well.  I’ve got a cup of tea and the last of the Falco books to finish.  And it’s Salmon Quiche with assorted salad things for dinner.

#122492 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Glad you can get relatively trouble-free Waitrose deliveries, Georgie. It is getting impossible to get any deliveries at all from them. Even though Madam T was on govt list of Clinically Extremely Vulnerable from outset, even though Asda and Tesco put us on priority booking immediately, it took two months for Waitrose to put us on their list.

All worked OK for a few weeks then decayed to nonsense. Only way to get any delivery is to book four weeks in advance and then stay up until 12 midnight (very difficult for me, Ropinirole knocks me out by 11.15pm). Sign on exactly at midnight and book slot on day you want seconds after hitting log-on. Have checked back and ALL slots are gone by 5 mins past midnight. Sadly, Tesco have got themselves into same situation. So now, I have booked collect-slots, first one in two weeks time, and hope that they work safely. If a person can’t do collect, then I don’t know what they’ll do. Moreover, I’m not a newcomer to Waitrose. Been shopping with ’em for decades (in shops, when we could) to a good few grand a year.

Ho-hum

(Weather’s pretty crap too – had everything today – gales, torrential downpour, hot sun and various combinations thereof…)

#122542 Reply
    Georgie

Weather’s much better today.  In my ‘Former life’ I would have borrowed one of the neighbour’s Labradors and headed off for a ramble around Frensham Pond.

I can’t explain the vagaries of Waitrose.  I wasn’t on any Official List, as far as I know – I never received a letter or anything – but Waitrose emailed me to say I had automatic access.  Every Sunday morning I log on at about 8am and book a slot a month ahead for Thursday morning, as a ‘keeper’, then the next morning I shift it to the Friday.  Bizarre!

All I can imagine is that your Delivery Store is not very big, so they just can’t plan far ahead?  My Deliveries come from either Petersfield or Fleet, which are both big stores.  Beyond that . . . ???

#122550 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Yup. Equally confused by Waitrose. However, Asda continues to deliver the goods so not too worried. Actually, quite looking forward to the collection thing. Good excuse to take the Mini out; be most interested to see if a normal shop fits in the boot!

Weather yesterday quite atrocious. Force 9 at least. Tilly becomes a pearhund with the windfalls. They are well under-ripe and hard as stone but she crunches her way through them, unless we can get to them first to ration out.

Just finished making some crab-apple jelly. It is in jars and, hopefully, setting. Could go quite well with roast pork, maybe..?

#122624 Reply
    Georgie

Asda do the best Hot Cross Buns.  The Asda superstore at Havant Hypermarket (which is actually in Bedhampton, not Havant – but perhaps sign-writers charge by the letter?) stack them right by the entrance and when I’m parked in the Disabled Bays the HCB aroma wafts out of the entrance in great waves of temptation.  You might have to find a corner in the boot for a few? 🙂

Our pear tree got swallowed up by the bamboo, and the plum tree fell over and demolished the shed about 5 years ago.  But, this year, the apple tree is going mad, and the apples are good eaters and great in Dorset Apple Cake, Apple Crumbles and Apple Pies – all of which are on the Things To Make list over the next month or so.  DH is going to pick them and store them in the garage, now there’s no car in there.

Yes, I bet that crab-apple jelly will go extremely well with pork.  Alas, DH doesn’t like pork (unless it’s bacon or sausages), so the only time I ever get roast pork is when I happen to visit mum on a Sunday.  Not sure I’d risk crackling at the moment, though.  Not with my teeth and the Dentists being very fussy about treating actual patients.  Still, it’ll be Roast Beef with Yorkshire puds on Sunday, so I can’t complain!

#122632 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Weather: chucking it down all day. Rubbish.

Kitchen: Busy. Crab-apple thing has set fine. Seems to taste OK. Shall inflict it on neighbour and see what she thinks (one of our original Miss Marples, perhaps, at 86 yrs, the most adventurous though – flown in Tiger Moth and Spitfire, just ‘cos she could.) I am in process of making tomato chutney. Had to use up the whingers somehow. Seems to be thickening??

Must agree about Adsa bakery. Quite the best of the lot; from thick crusty sandwich loaves to sweet pastries.

#122721 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Weather? Variable is only description. Hot and clear this morning (shorts and T-shirt); cold and wet p.m. (heavy chinos and woolly). No whizzbang thunderstorms though, yet. Has summer REALLY finished?

#122723 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

last two days its been none stop rain and bloody cold at least in comparison to previously, temp just nudging 16 deg so trying not to hit the central heating yet but if it hits 15 i dont think my knees will take that.

amazing what difference 48 hrs makes.

#122732 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Still no thunderstorm. But this chap, below, is heading our way. Judging by proportions and movement, estimate it at 20,000ft ish at top. Big things ain’t they?

Hasn’t flattened into “anvil” flat-top yet so will get bigger.

#122856 Reply
    Tharg

Clear skies, bright sun but far from warm. Reckon about 18C, if that. (Kitchen thermo’ broke). It all feels seriously like autumn!

#122884 Reply
    Georgie

Emerging from a weekend of Codine-induced sleepiness, the weather is . . . meh.  Dry, light cloud.  Meh.

Two weeks ago all the glass bulbs in the Galileo thermometer were huddled at the bottom of the column, complaining about it being too hot.  Now they’re all floating at the top, complaining about the cold! 🙂

#122901 Reply
    Tharg

More cloud. Quite chilly. Dry though so might do the lawns. Was dry and cloudy yesterday so cleaned car. One thing about MIni – not much of it so can polish etc in 20mins! Glad you’re feeling better, Georgie.

Crab apple jelly goes really well with roast pork (sorry). Reckon it’ll work with turkey and chicken too. Starting campaign to get more fruit.

#122903 Reply
    Georgie

Apparently Britain’s having the coldest late August Bank Holiday in decades – papers call it a “Polar Plunge”.

DH thinks he’ll mow the grass (I won’t flatter it with the title ‘lawn’) this afternoon, and pick the apples.  He needs to dig the orange crates out of the junk room first, though.  I must remember to order some Stork for making pastry.  🙂

#122912 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

Ah yes, it’s just about apple pie weather.

#122921 Reply
    Tharg

Yup. Apple pie climate – made one last week, with blackberries. Just noticed that, up to this post, this thread has 666 posts in total. Thank the gods that we do not have a poster called Damian.

#122928 Reply
    Georgie

The Hunger of The Beast.

#122937 Reply
    Tharg

If I could work out how to get a smiley face, I’d post it. However, no luck so…

🙂

…probably wrong, sorry.

#122939 Reply
    joss
    Participant

😊 in windows hit the windows key and full stop Tharge. 😊

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's
    "It is a great ability to be able to conceal one's ability."

#122942 Reply
    Georgie

It was either that or ‘668 – the Neighbour of the Beast’.  I love those jokes!

#122950 Reply
    Tharg

If it was in a Quatermass film (with Donlevy) it could be The Humber of the Beast”. 🙂

Sorry, Joss – thanks for help but tried windows and stop but only got a full stop. Am in windows 7, so will search elsewhere.

#122954 Reply
    joss
    Participant

Good old win 7. Time to move on up maybe Tharge?  As much as I loved win 7 I have not looked back since going up to win 10 Pro

Joss
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#122963 Reply
    Tharg

Well, I did move up to W 10, when they first introduced it. Msoft sort of forced it on me, for free; couldn’t stop them installing it. However, rusty old pooter died badly a year or so back and I had to reinstall everything and it only installed W7. NOW Msoft want me to pay to re-upgrade AND keep trying to make me buy a new laptop. Am deeply pi$$ed off with them. Will have to upgrade soon, I suppose. Are Chromebooks any good? So hate Msoft and Windows that I would love to change but can’t afford a Mac.

#122980 Reply
    joss
    Participant

You could always run a flavour of Ubuntu on your PC instead of windows?? Cromebooks seem ok.

Apologies for hijacking the thread

Joss
    Builder of Gaming PC's

Viewing 25 replies - 651 through 675 (of 812 total)
Reply To: Whats the weather like where you are today take 2
Your information: