Whats the weather like where you are today take 2

• Creator
    Topic
  • #86130 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Ive noticed a problem with the original thread, taking me to page 1 of the thread. Assuming its the same problem as my original Brexit thread (stolen by WMC lol) that there were too many pages, i have started another weather thread (stolen from lightbodyae55 lol).

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 25 replies - 576 through 600 (of 731 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #121351 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

thanks georgie, i should know better by now.

usual routine particularly on hols, is factor 50+ all over half an hour before even setting foot outside, large floppy wide brimmed cricket hat, reapply factor 50 + on arrival at pool/sunbed, reapply every half hour regardless. and it usually works. on the last cruise i even came back a little brown ish.

my sister on the other hand takes after my late mother applies chip fat/oil and lies in sun for 12 hours till crispy and doesnt burn at all 2 days and shes got a perfect tan.

#121355 Reply
    Georgie

Similar with me and my sister.  Mum’s ‘Black Welsh’ (black hair, very dark brown eyes, naturally light brown skin) and when we were kids (before ozone problems) we’d go as brown as a nut in a couple of days, no problem.  Both brothers take after our dad, though – blue eyes, fair hair, fair skin (dad even had a couple of Norwegian grandparents), and they just burn.

Mind you, as I write this DH is out there, bald and hatless, doing something to the apple tree.  Silly sod.  🙂

#121358 Reply
    Tharg

Will have to take some UV precautions if it is really going to hit 30c. Shorts and very lightweight (silk if I can find ’em) shirt. Will need some anti-burn stuff on knees. Plus, of course, one’s Panama – either the gardnin’ one or the stepping-out one (less holes!). Madam T is very annoying. It must be the central European genes (half Austrian) but at first hint of sun (April-ish) she simply goes a nice brown/fawn colour and stays that way until winter. When we were able to fly abroad for hols, I’d swear the legs went brown as she went from top of aircraft steps to the tarmac.

#121403 Reply
    Menorca Mike

Very hot and sunny here already I went Tesco 6am no one around lovely

#121407 Reply
    Menorca Mike

I’m sweating like a pig ! Is it me but has carol Kirkwood put on weight ?

#121414 Reply
    Georgie

Well, Mike, I have this Cunning Plan – As soon as the outdoor thermometer hit 22c I stay inside.  10 inches of brick wall – with a great big window in it – is better than any Sunblock!

Still, each to their own.  Give me a bright sunny day when there’s snow on the ground and I can’t wait to get outside.  Must be my Norwegian genes.

#121419 Reply
    Tharg

Perfectly clear. Very hot. Car thermo says 27C; kitchen says 32C and rising. Air con on max (can’t find any more windows to open). Roads and beaches packed with Lemmings. Coast road completely, and badly, parked beyong capacity. Also side-roads up to half-mile inland. Light breeze in garden and that’s where we’ll be. Menu will be home-cooked cold meats, salad and chips.

#121428 Reply
    joss
    Participant

Clear blue skies with a slight breeze and very hot. Too hot for me It must be said.

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's
    "It is a great ability to be able to conceal one's ability."

#121431 Reply
    Georgie

Laundry done, Lunch done, Kitchen floor swept, Medicine ordered, Choc Ice scoffed.  Now laying on the sofa in front of the fan, drinking tea and reading ‘Saturnalia’ by Lindsey Davis.

Indoor temperature has dropped from 27.5c to 26.0c, so things are starting to look up.

Dinner today will be Char Sui Pork with boiled rice (too hot to muck about), with mini Spring Rolls.  Followed by another Choc Ice.

Possibly two.

🙂

#121432 Reply
    Georgie

The worst bit is knowing we’ll have to go through it all again tomorrow.

And Sunday.

Followed by 5 days of ‘not-quite-so-hot but now also humid’.

I knew I should have ordered more Choc Ices!

#121434 Reply
    Tharg

Choc ices… meant to order some Magnums (Magnae?) for Waitrose delivery tomorrow. Forgot. Soddit! Have to settle for Grom gelato (also Waitrose) from freezer. Oh my, the painful compromises we have to make in life…

#121454 Reply
    Tharg

Still hot. More cloud, though. But I suspect it might clear and get hotter. Max in kitchen yesterday was 35C. Feels like it’ll hit same-ish today.

#121466 Reply
    Georgie

Not quite so bad, today.  That bit of cloud has made a difference, even though it does appear to be psychological – the outdoor and indoor temps read the same as they did this time yesterday, but it definitely seems cooler.

I don’t think I’ve eaten enough ice cream to have lowered my body’s core temperature . . .

#121469 Reply
    Tharg

Max did hit 35C again. Now cloudy and close – bit uncomfortable if you don’t take it easy. Happily, Waitrose delivery today contained the Grom ice cream in vanilla and chocolate (with real chocky-lumps in it). I know it’s bad, I know I will go to hell. Don’t care…

#121471 Reply
    Menorca Mike

A very warm evening 

#121495 Reply
    Tharg

Same as. Kitchen thermo already at 30C. At least the wind has strengthened and veered to east-north-east which is where my aircon intake-windows are facing.

#121512 Reply
    Menorca Mike

Hot and sunny here

#121513 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Scorchio.  Bournemouth is full.

#121519 Reply
    Tharg

Bournemouth looks horrendous. We are considering waiting for the lemmings to leave our beach, hopefully before it gets dark, and then sneaking down for a dip. Will consider VERY carefully!

Temp hit 40C in kitchen just after lunch. Now holding at 35C. Doing nothing except, perhaps, making a pasta salad and deciding which ice cream to consume sinfully afterwards.

#121543 Reply
    Georgie

5.25am with the top windows open all night, and it’s still  26c in the sitting-room this morning.

#121550 Reply
    Tharg

Yup. Same here. 27C and rising. All air-con apertures opened. Wind set be southerly. Sadly not enough windows to the south. Yesterday was hottest can remember for this spot. Have to take everything very slowly. Could really do with one of the promised thunderstorms so, with your Norsk genes, Georgie, would you please have a word with Freyr who handles the weather-god role. I’ll try a gentle approach with Caillech since she does the same for Celtic gods. Most of all, though, need a serious word with Taranis who is Celtic god of thunderstorms. Can’t offer a wickerman (garden too small), maybe a wickercat?

#121558 Reply
    Georgie

Managed to get it down to 24c after opening the patio doors and big windows as well.  I closed the patio doors (east-facing) and blinds at about 9.30am and the temp is holding steady at 25c.  Front windows (west-facing) are still open and letting in cooler air.

Yesterday was unspeakable.

My friend’s cat is called Freyr – maybe I can ask friend to bribe cat with favourite treat?

Wicker Man?  Let me think .  (Think  Think  Think)  I do have a wicker laundry basket and a couple of wicker log baskets, so . . .

On the other hand I might just skip the lesser gods and appeal directly to Mister Lightning Bolt himself – Zeus.  All I need are an unblemished white goat, white sheep and white bull – with gilded horns, obviously.

Hmmm.

Do you think he’d settle for half a pound of Somerset Brie?

#121559 Reply
    joss
    Participant

Blimey isn’t controlling the weather a bit in the lap of the gods like You guys have said.

My abode is north on the front elevation and south on the rear elevation. That means the back of our house is in the path of the sun from rise to sunset. So it soon becomes unbearable on hot sunny days.

While the front catches the sun in morning as she rises. The rest of the day it is in the shadow. So windows open on front and closed on back. Curtains drawn on the back to help keep it cooler inside.

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's
    "It is a great ability to be able to conceal one's ability."

#121560 Reply
    Tharg

Zeus? Hmm… what with him being Greek and all, maybe a feta salad would go better. Doing one tonight to go with burgers. Will leave out a bit for him, although not in garden in case it gets ate by Silas, the quite sizeable Toad King who owns the garden at night!

Temp now at 35C. Can’t open southerly windows very wide as deeply dim (house) sparrows have started bouncing in from nest in adjacent hedge. Not as good as yours, Georgie – no idea how to get out.

#121565 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

up to 23 in the lounge at the mo and thats with a portable aircon going full blast so i dread to think what it will be outside or even in here later on when the sun comes around from behind next door.

regular ice creams may help, actually found black jack ones on special in iceland online theyre not bad lol.

Viewing 25 replies - 576 through 600 (of 731 total)
Reply To: Whats the weather like where you are today take 2
Your information: