Topic
  • #141781 Reply
    Martinod

What’s the right thing to say

Knife and fork
    Or
    Fork and knife

was talking to the kids about this when they were young

they got into trouble for saying fork and knife  because they wanted to sound as if they were. swearing

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #141782 Reply
    Lou

Knife & fork 100% and I hold knife in left hand, fork in right hand (I’m right handed) apparently this is back to front but it’s all Iv ever known….and I can’t for the life of me eat the other way round!

#141785 Reply
    Phaedra
    Participant

Def knife & fork

You can say it as fast as you like, but saying fork & knife too quickly or with an accent can result in a very rude utterance 🙂

There's room for all God's creatures, right next to the mash and gravy 🙂

#141788 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

I’m with Lou on this. Must be “knife and fork”. I also do the fork-right, knife-left thing. As a right-hander this led to the description “cack-handed” when I was a kid. Hmmm…

#141795 Reply
    Georgie

Knife and fork.  Fork left and knife right, same as DH – even though I’m a South paw and he isn’t.  No idea which of us is ‘correct’ and, frankly, I don’t much care, just as long as it efficiently transfers food from plate to mouth. 😉

#141838 Reply
    Phaedra
    Participant

just as long as it efficiently transfers food from plate to mouth. 😉

You use plates? how posh are you? 🙂

Of course when we were young we used to dream of having a plate …………………………..

There's room for all God's creatures, right next to the mash and gravy 🙂

#141849 Reply
    Georgie

“Dream?”  Dream?

That’s luxury, that’s what that is!  Why, when I were a lad we didn’t waste our time on blummin’ Dreeeaaams.  NO.  We were never allowed to sleep.  Or even catch twenty winks, let alone forty.

But you try and tell that to the kids today and they won’t believe you . . . 

#141857 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

“When you were a lad” y’mean you had time to be YOUNG? You really don’t know how lucky you are! We were put to work straight out of the maternity ward. Swaddlin’ clothes or not, we were pushed straight down the mine to dig out the steak and kidney pies from deep underground. I’ll bet it were you posh boogers who ate ’em. Pah!

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: What’s the right thing to say Knife and fork Or Fork and knife
Your information: