What’s the best tariff for you?

• This topic has 21 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by Brydo.
  • Creator
    Topic
    Brydo
    Participant

So many tariffs to choose from so looking for information from you guys in the forum as to what would be the best for me.

I will be adding an Air Source Heat Pump and battery storage later this summer. Im looking to get a smart meter fitted before installing the above equipment and I have a plug-in hybrid but no charger.

Looking at Octopus energy tariffs I think I will eventually go for one of the EV tariffs giving cheap overnight charging to charge my home batteries and my car. In the meantime Flux looks like the one I would go for.

I will be crunching the numbers over the next week or so but any info you have would be greatly appreciated .

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
      Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 21 replies - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Phaedra
      Participant

At the moment Octopus Intelligent Go seems to be my best option.

My daily household use isn’t massive and so far the monthly cost of charging the car has been between £10 and £14, so about 12-15% of what I was previously spending on petrol  🙂

I would prefer to top up during the day as after about 4pm moving about and bending down to feed the cable into the KerboCharge gully becomes a lot more difficult/painful but I can manage at the moment.  Worst case I’ll stick the cable in during the day and just leave it there 🙂

Please excuse spelling/typos. Apart from being a clot it turns out I had one on my cerebellum that's now causing various problems!

Rich44
        Participant

I’m going to try Intelligent with the Enyaq once it arrives but looking at usage at the moment unless we use that off peak price a lot or get a fair few daytime off peaks Agile is still going to beat it. It’ll be really interesting to get the data for a month and try it all out.

Using Octopus Compare isn’t really fair as you’d obviously change your usage to suit the hours

Got to say it would take a lot to get me to leave Octopus they’ve been so fair over the years unlike any of the others

Brydo
          Participant

So Phaedra you get six hours at 7.5p, brilliant you can’t get any cheaper than that. I might be a bit confused here but can’t you keep it plugged in and use your app to charge etc?

Rich just reading about each tariff doesn’t give you the best info. Reading first then trying is the best option IMO.

So you’re getting an Enyaq, I think it’s an absolute bargain. We can change at the end of the year and I will be giving it serious consideration.

Even though we are months away I plan to go see it soon. As we know it could be off the scheme by then or the AP could have quadrupled 😔

DumfriesDik
            Participant

I am on Octopus Tracker, but the cost trend is upwards and the average cost for this period is now just under 20p. I am seriously looking at IO.

VW ID3 Max is my DD

Oscarmax
              Participant

I am on Octopus Agile for electric and tracker for gas works for us.

Brydo
                Participant

So do you guys change tariffs depending on the time of year and/or if trends start to move in the wrong direction?

DumfriesDik
                  Participant

So do you guys change tariffs depending on the time of year and/or if trends start to move in the wrong direction?

I have seen stuff on YouTube that folk with solar and batteries do change tariffs summer and winter. If I had both solar and batteries I would just stick it on Octopus Go as I can not be arsed to try and eek out another £20 or whatever.

VW ID3 Max is my DD

Rich44
                    Participant

Just to highlight why it’s worth getting the correct tariff. This is Agile vs Octopus Go Feb 23 with usage from April

Brydo
                      Participant

DD I know what you mean but I think there is money to be made if you can persevere. Using Flux during the summer allows you to sell the power generated by your solar at £0.24 per kWh. It doesn’t sound much but if you can sell 3kw then that’s £720 during the summer months. Obviously next to nothing during the winter.

I don’t yet know enough to say which tariff would be the best to switch to during the other months but I’m on it 😆.

Rich44 that is a huge difference. I’ve been looking at options on YouTube but what I need to do is get the calculator out and look at each tariff using my circumstances. There’s no doubt there are savings to be made👍

Rich44
                        Participant

If you’re with Octopus and want to compare Octopus tariffs. If you get the Octopus compare app from the app store (I use android) it costs £5 a year for all the features. It logs into your account via an api key and you can choose 2 tariffs to compare against using your actual usage data as I posted earlier.

You can go in and change the comparison tariff as often as you like and compare over a week, month, year etc. Obviously it doesn’t account for if you were on Go you would try to adjust your usage to put more into off peak etc but it’s really handy vs trying to use a calculator or spreadsheet to work it out

I love comparing figures esp when it shows I’m saving a lot lol

Oscarmax
                          Participant

We averaged 9.84 pence  (219.2kWh) @ kWh on Octopus Agile 8th April to 7th March.

We have Octopus Watch APP which includes Compare Tariffs.

For the Month:

You £39.49

Agile £41.99

Tracker £58.79

Go £59.42

Flux £64.61

Standars £75.54

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by Oscarmax.
                            Rich44
                            Participant

Yeah you can compare with watch too and compare I find the calculations in compare slightly better than watch more flexibility in isolating dates in Compare. Watch is good for a quick look if you want slightly more control over billing periods etc then Compare is the one. They’re both great apps I use the Watch widget on my hlme screen to show Agile charts

I love the energy reports you can generate in Watch with trends co2 etc

Blimey 9p is good going just shows how if you can load shift there’s no need to pay stupid bills. Congrats

Brydo
                              Participant

It seems well worth £5 a year. I’m not on a smart meter yet so once I am I will definitely be buying one.

Rich44
                                Participant

I was a data manager at a school back in the day so I’m a bit of a data geek sometimes.

I’m now experimenting with Home Assistant got it installed on a virtual machine on my pc took about 10 mins and setting it up to control heating and hot water heat pump according to the prices incoming from Agile and it’ll also control my charger too so should be able to get max savings and it all be automated too

Brydo
                                  Participant

@Rich44 I’ve noticed a number of “geeks” on YouTube using Home Assistant, with other bits and pieces added on, and it looks a bit of a handful to set up.

Rich44
                                    Participant

Actually I got it installed as a virtual machine on my pc in minutes. Downloaded virtualbox then downloaded home assistance virtual disk image

I’d never done it before I just Google a guide on installing HAOS onto a vm and hit the first result.

Setup a vm, point the downloaded file at it. I gave it 2 cores and 4gb ram as my pc is pretty high end so can spare it. (5900x 12 cores, 24 threads and 32gb ram)

Think all in that took me maybe 10 mins of clicking then 30 mins of waiting.

After that everything is done in a browser on any pc at home and there’s so many YouTube guides on setting things up. I’ve never used HA before but it was pretty easy.

You can run it on other hardware like a raspberry pi etc. I imagine it can get tricky if you’re trying to do stuff on certain hardware but a VM on my pc which is always on because it’s running Plex, Sonarr and Radarr

It’s a bit like using WordPress for making a website you don’t need to know the code etc because others have done that for you it’s just adding stuff and configuring it all just mouse clicks in a browser and if you get stuck YouTube videos and forums everywhere that help.

I’ve gotten it picking up all the rate changes in Agile now and using my home mini to get the data.

I’ve thought about fiddling with it for years but this Agile stuff pushed me to do it as previously I was manually fiddling with things once I got the Agile pricing each day.

Once I get it all setup and running maybe I’ll write something on it how to get all these things working together.

Mind you I’ve been promising myself I’d do similar with Plex, Radarr, Sonarr, Lidarr and SABnzbd, NZBgeek, Radarr and android app NZB360 for turning your pc into the ultimate Sky Q type system so I’m sure I will one day lol

My trouble is I have all these good intentions then I just forget for months and then it’s oh yeah I was gonna do that… Sigh

Ele
                                      Participant

Personally as a low mileage and high peak user

Charging up every 8/10 days

Im sticking with my 24p anytime PAYG but may well change if and when it suits me to do so.

Brydo
                                        Participant

Hahahaha 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Piece of cake then Rich lol

Rich44
                                          Participant

Honestly sounds worse than it is it’s 6 steps to download and install

The home assistant tutorial install was from here

https://www.home-assistant.io/installation/windows

Octopus instructions from Speak to the Geek YouTube channel again not long or tricky.

Best part really is you don’t need to spend a penny on anything to play around

Brydo
                                            Participant

Brydo
                                              Participant

Viewing 21 replies - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.