Whats Motability’s position on Chinese cars?

• Creator
    Topic
  • #163585 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

China appears to be the front runner in the manufacturing of EV cars but are we likely to see any of them on the scheme.

Below is a list of the top 10 chinese car manufacturers many of who will be supplying cars to the UK market in the near future.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #163589 Reply
    Matt t

Just had a quick look at BYD on the European importers site (Norway) the electric 4×4 looks good. But I don’t think there are any UK importers yet and even though the prices seem good (we’ll in America anyway) I think the AP would be high as the resale value would be an unknown. But any addition would be a good addition in my eyes.

#163594 Reply
    Fastbike1000
    Participant

Isn’t Volvo owned by Geely?

#163596 Reply
    brydo

Matt that’s what I’m thinking, motability have no idea how much depreciation most of these cars would attract. Servicing etc is also a problem so until they organise “feet on the ground” its unlikely  motability will entertain them.

As fastbike says Volvo are owned by Geeky so there may be other ways for them to get established.

#163633 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

#163721 Reply
    Ruco

You do realise mg are Chinese and also I think new model due in 2022 is partnered with greatwall

#163752 Reply
    Fastbike1000
    Participant

As far as I know theirs four. MG motors, Volvo, LDV and Lotus (that was a surprise 😲) that sell in the UK that are Chinese owned.

#163838 Reply
    Abercol
    Participant

Nio ES8…look for Bjorn Nyland’s videos…awesome.

In life, it's not who you know that's important, it's how your wife found out.

#163883 Reply
    Brydo

#163995 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Nio has presented its ET7 electric sedan, unveiled in China earlier this year, in Germany – and Europe – for the first time. Nio also confirms that the ET7 will be the first model to be launched in Germany in 2022.

We remember: In May, Nio had announced the market entry in Norway as the first European country. Starting this month, the first examples of the ES8 E-SUV will be delivered there. Even then it was said that Germany was a potential further market for Nio’s expansion in Europe.

Around the IAA Mobility in Munich, Nio now confirmed that the first vehicles in Germany will be delivered in the fourth quarter of 2022 – but unlike in Norway, it will not be the ES8, but the ET7 electric sedan.

“Entering the German market is our goal. The interest is very high and there are many enquiries from potential users,” says William Li, founder and CEO of Nio. “Our goal is to have the Nio ET7 in Germany by the end of 2022.”

The ET7 is a 5.10-metre-long premium sedan with up to 480 kW of power and – measured in the outdated NEDC – up to 1,000 kilometres of range when the largest battery with 150 kWh is installed. In addition to the e-drive, connectivity and software are also very important in the Chinese sedan.

As Nio announces in the course of the European premiere, a renewable rattan called ‘Karuun’ will be used in the interior of the ET7 for the first time in a car. “Interesting to look at and touch, and beautiful in form, this sustainable, plastic-free material is ideally suited to creating a premium interior experience,” says Kris Tomasson, vice president of design, of the material.

While Nio has not yet given any further details about the planned distribution in Germany – such as the dealer and service network or further locations for the ‘Nio Houses’ – and has also not yet given any details about a possible network of its own charging and battery exchange stations as in Norway and China, a more comprehensive expansion in Europe is a done deal.

For this task, Nio has appointed its own CEO for Europe. Alex Schwarz is new to the eMobility industry, having previously worked for companies such as Airbnb, PayPal and Ebay – so he knows his way around the digital world. “We need to focus heavily on software, mobile internet and cloud technologies in the future,” Li says of the appointment. “Alex’s experience will therefore be very important for us.”

Should there be a “big demand” for the ET7 in Europe, Nio does not rule out local production – but probably not as a Nio-exclusive plant. The company is prepared to “examine the possibility of cooperation with other partners and to discuss joint production in the region”, according to the statement.

#163999 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

BYD Launches e-Platform 3.0 And Unveils Ocean-X Concept
    It’s the culmination of BYD’s more than a decade of experience in EVs.

By: Mark Kane

BYD officially launches its all-new e-platform 3.0 – introduced at the 2021 Shanghai Auto Show in April – for next-generation electric cars.

It’s already used in the BYD Dolphin model that is entering the market in China and soon the company will introduce more models of varying sizes ranging from small to large.

The BYD e-platform 3.0 allows the development of cars with a range of more than 1,000 km (622 miles), dual-motor, all-wheel-drive with 0-100 km/h acceleration in 2.9 seconds, and fast charging rate of 150 km (93 miles) in 5 minutes.

As we understand, BYD will offer this solution also to other manufacturers.

#164349 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

#164879 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

#165055 Reply
    sif

They are keen on them. Very keen, pushing their view, almost like missionaries going forth to multiply and spread the word. Yes, on that issue its very much the missionary position.

#165373 Reply
    Brydo

#165501 Reply
    TrevorK

Isn’t Genesis a Korean brand like Hyundai, SsangYong, and Kia?

#165502 Reply
    Brydo

Trevor don’t let facts get in the way of a good story 😂😂😂😂😂

#165503 Reply
    Brydo

I just put it in to see if anyone was reading the thread 👍

#165852 Reply
    Brydo

#165854 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Nissan have been trying to offload their Spanish plants for a while now.

#165931 Reply
    Micky

TOP GEAR CLARKSON MAY.

OH SOON YOUL ALL BE DRIVEING A CHINESE CAR. LOL

#165932 Reply
    Micky

AS LONG AS IT AINT THIS

#166350 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

#166433 Reply
    Brydo

#166444 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

@Micky Reckon we definitely won’t get that three-wheel monstrosity on Motability. It clearly says “GT” on the vehicle and will thus be banned from the scheme on “no-boy-racers-allowed” morality grounds.

#166453 Reply
    Warkman

SAIC. Are the owners of MG, well the name, Geeley own both Volvo and Lotus.

over the next few years the Chinese will dominate the European market in the same way Korean saloons dominate the USA market.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
Reply To: Whats Motability’s position on Chinese cars?
Your information: