Whatever happened to Brexit?

• Creator
    Topic
  • #111208 Reply
    brydo

We are now into April and its likely there will be no negotiations until this pandemic is over. What are we looking at, could we survive on WTO rules, will we ask for an extension?

I think the obvious option is to agree an extension possibly to next March to give both sides a chance to come to an agreement. I think the German’s will be very keen to get a deal.

Viewing 25 replies - 126 through 150 (of 160 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #132026 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

That would be the car trade sorted.

#132030 Reply
    Brydo

Georgie can’t find anything about this where did you see it?

#132044 Reply
    Georgie

Still being discussed.  Possibly only hearsay, possibly not.  Guess we’ll find out tomorrow.

#132048 Reply
    rox
    Blocked

Irish Prime Minister Micheal Martin has warned No Deal tariffs would be ‘ruinous’ for both the UK and Ireland with charges of up to 70 per cent on exports such as beef.

The Irish Fiscal Advisory Committee warned this week that the impact of No Deal could eliminate six per cent off the Irish economy – equivalent to an £18 billion hit.

No Deal could see tariffs of up to 70 per cent on Irish beef which would harm a farming and agriculture sector which makes up 40 per cent of Ireland’s exports to the UK.

Consultants at Oxford Economics have also warned that more than 100,000 jobs could be lost in Germany following the impact of carmakers VW and BMW facing tariffs.

Can the eu afford to have no deal that is the real question also. Not only will they lose the 2nd biggest contributor to there eu yearly budget but they will lose alot from trade, plus having to beef up their ports and customs even as far as rotterdam adds more costs. So both sides will suffer, all imo to make a point and an example of the uk for daring to leave the club.

No they did not vote for brexit, we did as macron said but what elite club are you in that you cannnot ever leave and form your own.

lets go back to the start when they did not listen the the uk concerns and brought the referendum on themselves as they knew very well, what would happen and a vote would take place, only they thought there is no chance it would happen and we will vote to leave the eu. Fact is we did  and the big problem with the eu is the political union to be able to trade and it is not what we joined up to in the beginning. We are not part of the euro although we have funds in the ecb to prop it up, which at some point we will want back as well. where is the ecb based is another question it’s in germany The European Central Bank (ECB) is headquartered in Frankfurt am Main, Germany. It has been responsible for monetary policy in the Euro area since January 1, 1999, when the euro currency was first adopted by some EU members. then theres the The EIB they had around €66 billion of its own funds in 2016. The UK’s 16% share of that would be €11 billion or just under £9 billion.

#132050 Reply
    alan1302
    Participant

lets go back to the start when they did not listen the the uk concerns and brought the referendum on themselves as they knew very well, .

Whilst in the EU the UK had power of a veto to any rules that they did not agree to – how often did they use that power?

#132053 Reply
    Georgie

From  the BBC live feed 8:24 this morning:

Senior Tories urge Johnson not to ‘buckle’ to EU
    Writing in the Sunday Telegraph, Tory MP David Jones says Boris Johnson “must not buckle” and should be prepared to take negotiations right up to the legal deadline on 31 December.

The PM “must keep faith with the British people and resist any temptation to accept a sub-optimal deal that would cheat them of the sovereignty for which they voted”, Jones wrote in an opinion article.

Statement from ERG three minutes ago: The deputy chairman of the European Research Group added: “He should by all means negotiate, if necessary, until the stroke of 11 o’clock on New Year’s Eve; but if the EU still refuses a deal that fully respects our hard-won independence, he should leave the table in the knowledge that he has the full support of his countrymen and women.”

Meanwhile, Conservative former minister Sir John Redwood accused the bloc of making “empty threats”, writing in a tweet: “End the talks. The EU wants to stop us being independent. They cannot stop our trade. People and businesses buy and sell under WTO rules.”

#132071 Reply
    Brydo

No matter which side you take in the debate it is a fascinating time in history. Time will tell if leaving the EU was the right thing for the UK and the coming hours could be decisive in leaving with a deal or not (although I don’t think anything will be agreed today).

48% of the UK voted to remain what would a successful UK outside the EU look like?

52% voted to leave but, as we know, this figure was split between no deal leavers and soft brexit, what will a successful brexit look like to them?

Does success mean that we prosper as 4 united nations or is taking back control all that matters?

#132072 Reply
    Brydo

Talks going beyond today to go that “extra mile” to get a deal, its just been announced.

#132079 Reply
    Georgie

Quelle surprise!  Yet another Deadline passes with nothing achieved.  That last flicker of political sanity evidently guttered and died over night.

“Does success mean that we prosper as 4 united nations or is taking back control all that matters?”

But we’re not 4 united nations any more, are we: Northern Ireland voted to Remain (55%) and know full well that they would have been thrown to the proverbial wolves by our untrustworthy Government were it not so desperate to get a Deal with the USA – who like us a heck of a lot less under Biden, who self-identifies as ‘Irish-American’.  Scotland voted Remain (62%) and an Ipsos Mori poll last week indicated that 58% of Scots now wish to Leave the Union because England and Wales have totally bastardised what being a member of the Union actually means.

#132083 Reply
    Mike 700
    Participant

There was no split of leave voters Brydo, there was only one question on the Ballot Paper ie
    Leave or Remain, no qualification was asked for, or required, it is only sore losers who have since tried to justify their loss by stating that there was confusion and therefore leavers did not know what they were doing.

Brexit, hard Brexit, soft Brexit, no Brexit, no deal, bad deal, good deal, all came after the vote and had no influence whatsoever on the vote.

It’s ironic, and in fact very very deceitful to say that 52% is not a lot, and is following the anti UK Nicola Sturgeon twisted logic whereby a majority of one vote would , in her eyes, be a majority for Independence, but not when it comes down to other matters.

Georgie, N.l. Did not vote to remain, Scotland did not vote to remain, Wales and England did not vote to leave, the UK voted to leave, there was only one referendum, for the whole of the UK and taking part in the UK wide referendum, validates it.

Spilled milk remains spilled,, and it’s no good crying over it, it is far far better to look to the future, rather than standing over the rapidly drying milk puddle?

Btw I voted to remain, but the lying and cheating, by Project Fear was more than enough to change my mind.

VW Tiguan SEL in Silver White.

#132084 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Well said, Mike700.  I could add that the bad faith behaviour of the EU towards the UK since the referendum should persuade many that leaving was the right thing to do.

#132100 Reply
    rox
    Blocked

Indeed Mike700 personally I think we all should get to vote on scottish independance, I think they might get it easy then as all the english voter’s like myself will gladly vote for scotland to leave london rule and then be ruled by the federal states of europe. The problem is the question was put to only scottish voters and they said no thanks, do you then everytime something changes have another vote on the matter. Thats why it was once in a generation chance and they the voters knew that and still voted to remain part of the uk. Likewise with brexit. We have already left the eu only the current temporary trade agreement expires at midnight on the 31st of decemeber.

I’ve had one vote in my lifetime on the eu membership and the question was Leave or Remain. I voted leave and ever since that day I am embarrassed at so many who think the uk will only achieve anything as part of the eu. They clearly are the blockheads the eu aims to create imo. The one where when you are born you have a round head but by the time you are an adult you are turned into a blockhead. As in the picture below was a campaign poster when ireland had a vote on a treaty and voted aginst it but was made to vote again and gain like the netherland if i remmeber correctly. Which was what they tried to also do to the uk..

#132104 Reply
    Mike 700
    Participant

Thank you WW, and thank you Rox-

I actually agree that the whole of the UK. should have a say in the potential break up of our UK, it just does not make sense that a small number of voters can potentially ruin our Union.

As far as majorities go, let’s take a quick look at the SNP claim that they will win all of the seats in the Scotland Election next year, and that this will give them a mandate for another Independence referendum?,

They may very well do that, as things stand, because of constituency / electorate numbers, take a look and you will see why the SNP are desperate —-it is clear they need to work fast, before any border changes are proposed!

The SNP , in the General election before last, under the FPtP system attracted some 45% of the vote and were rewarded with 48 MP’s, whilst the other parties in Scotland attracted 55% of.the vote, so more votes than the SNP,, yet these parties only returned 11 MP’s –

SNP seats equate to around 24500 votes per MP returned, compared to The Tories with around 56% of the SNP votes yet returned only 6 MP’s , which equates to 115000 votes per MP, and the LibUndems ,needed 66000 votes for each MP, and then, Labour which attracted some 500,000 plus votes, yet only returned 1 MP- that is inequitable , and unsustainable of course in the modern era!

#132112 Reply
    Brydo

Scottish independence should not be a thing of anger or bitterness. It should not be thought of as anti English, Welsh or Irish it is pro Scottish. If Scotland ever gains independence nothing will change in the other three countries, that union can and will continue. We in Scotland will carry on and make a future that is the will of the Scottish people. That might include joining the EU, if they’ll have us, but it might not but we will still be your neighbors we will still trade with each other, holiday in each others countries etc.

There will be many English people like rox who are sick of hearing about Scottish independence and will be glad to see the back of us and that’s fine, hearing this debate over and over must be really irritating.

I have worked in England and lived there for a few years and was treated really well and was never made to feel anything other than welcome. I also have family who are English, well Geordie’s does that count lol. So my desire for independence is nothing to do with animosity towards the people of England, Wales or Ireland its about going it alone. Independence might be the worst thing that could happen but we won’t know until we have if.

So Christmas is around the corner and it is the season of good will so let’s not get dragged into a debate that that could split the forum in two. Instead, let’s chat all things brexit, as, as it stands, is the most important problem we have in front of and, if it goes wrong, could make Scottish independence a stroll in the park.

MERRY CHRISTMAS MY FRIENDS.

#132116 Reply
    Mike 700
    Participant

I have visited the Northern Part of the UK on many occasions over the last 50 years or so Brydo, up as far as Inverness, both for pleasure and for work , and I have always found the people exceptionally hospitable, the food terrific, the scenery really beautiful, and the weather mainly dreadful.

This is one very good reason why I oppose Independence for Scotland, it would be like losing a brother- we are a family, better together than apart.

#132117 Reply
    Donkey Oatie

What annoys me about brexit was that the referendum was put forward to keep the tory party together. The campaign was based on emotions not facts, the Labour leadership (if you could call it that) were so weak and wishy washy that leave won by default. Borris refused the nomination for leadership and let Theresa take all the S### while he bickered from the sidelines. Now we are left with a leaderless country. No wonder I support an independent Scotland (ideally in the EU).

#132119 Reply
    Brydo

Mike700 we wouldn’t be going anywhere we would just be making our own c@(£ ups rather than having a bunch of Tory toffs making them for us.

#132145 Reply
    Mike 700
    Participant

Report coming from my son ,who lives in Denmark , this morning that a deal between UK and EU is imminent, respecting Sovereignty of UK waters, and with a much lower and more expensive , but acceptable, fishing quota for Denmark?

Different fish is eaten/ required in Scandinavia, so could be true?

We will see I guess.

#132149 Reply
    rox
    Blocked

It’s that obstinately or unreasonably attached to a belief, opinion, or faction, in particular prejudiced against or antagonistic towards a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular group. Brydo, but yep i can see you been condition to believe that. Just like my parents was conditioned to only vote labour.

Whom i find it very hard to vote for becuase of their crazy policies and in my time living in london I know the difference between living in an area run by one or the other and which i would pick to live in because of the policy.

I now live in the midlands in a mining area that voted in a conservative mp not once but twice now and he does a great job imo. Better than the labour mp who was in such a safe seat he did nothing but sat on his arse and then voted against what the people he represents voted for regarding brexit in parlement.

Even with this covid labour offer nothing and back up the goverment in the hope they take all the flak and implement there socailist agenda. I’m not even a conservative I’d vote for another party if it was viable.

I have lived in alot of different places and what i find is alot of people are not objective and are conditioned to never vote a certain way even if the alternative is worse, but brexit has changed alot of the demographics in england thats for sure and labour now are wolfs dressed up as lambs imo.. The truth also is any party with english or british or britain in it’s name is seeen as a racist, fascist, far right party but it’s ok in scotland wales and ireland. That allowed. although with the new hate speech laws in scotland you might be in trouble, with your views against toffs, if you discuss them at the dinner table in your own home, you will be commiting a crime.

like i said before i wish scotland well if they decide to leave the uk although they do have devolved powers and decentralisation is a good thing imo and is another reason why the eu is not so good as it is more and more centralized. But with the gaining of power comes the abuse of that power because they all have some agenda or plan or road map to rollout in their vision. Which is why i do not trust many off them. Mainly they will do or say anything to maintain your vote. They will keep you in poverty for example just so they can blame the otherside and secure your vote and only jump into action if and when they feel it’s all at risk.

#132150 Reply
    Brydo

rox I bet christmas at your place is fun lol.

Lighten up my friend life is too short.

#132154 Reply
    Mike 700
    Participant

Mike700 we wouldn’t be going anywhere we would just be making our own c@(£ ups rather than having a bunch of Tory toffs making them for us.

( Irony 1 in a previous post )

Irony 2 .

The Tale of the ever so small ‘tail’ wagging the very much bigger British Bulldog!

Isn’t it just ironic, that the Irish are now panicking over a no deal as it will hit their economy really hard ,yet the strongest opposition to a proper trade deal over the past 3-4 years came from, yup Ireland and Leo Varadaka.

Irony 3.

Isn’t it ironic that those people who bitched and moaned. about no deal are now complaining because a deadline has been pushed back, to try and get a deal sorted out

Irony 4

Tory are toffs , but of course there are none in the Shadow cabinet are there?

This Labour Party is not the Labour Party of old, and is led by a Barrister and Knight of realm, with Lady Emily Thornbury sitting there ( thick as two short planks, but nevertheless a ‘ Lady’! Harvard graduate David Llamy, Several Oxford graduates, many uni grads, etc etc etc.

I could never become their leader , I’m no public school educated, privileged university graduate, never done a day’s proper work in my life , rich boy – oh. Sorry I’m meant to be talking about the Tory toffs not the archetypal Labour Cabinet member?

I’m just a pleb , and you can’t rise In the Tory party if you come from humble beginnings – oh again, I forgot about grocer’s daughter Margaret Thatcher, and then there was east end poor boy John Major ( didn’t they both become Prime Minister?) , and then there’s the adopted Michael Gove from a strong Labour household, & wasn’t William Hague just a Yorkshire Grammar School boy ?

Yup, all Toffs!

A Merry Christmas to you and yours also!

• This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by Mike 700.

#132157 Reply
    Brydo

Merry Christmas 🎄 Mike700 👍

#132158 Reply
    Donkey Oatie

Borris is or was going to send Gove up to Scotland to sort out the independence issue. That will really go down well!

Shows how out of touch Westminster is with the Scottish people.

#132159 Reply
    Georgie

All we need to do is wait for Boris to roll out the ‘Oven-ready Deal’ he promised he had lined up before the General Election, as described when he addressed workers at the Nissan Plant in Sunderland (that is now almost certain to close due to their not actually having been a Deal of any kind lined up):

“It’s absolutely vital we protect supply chains, we protect Nissan motors, and we make sure people continue to invest in our country. And they will.

“What I think businesses large and small want to see is certainty about the arrangements we can deliver.

“And the thing about the deal we’ve got ready-to-go is it does protect the supply chains, it keeps them intact, it makes sure we have complete equivalence when it comes to our standards, our industrial requirements and all the rest of it.

“So as we come out, it’s all protected.”

After all, the Tory Manifesto clearly stated that this Deal was “the only one on the table” and “puts the whole country on a path to a new free trade agreement with the EU”.

#132160 Reply
    Mike 700
    Participant

Borris is or was going to send Gove up to Scotland to sort out the independence issue. That will really go down well! Shows how out of touch Westminster is with the Scottish people.

out of touch – really.

Michael Gove was born in Edinburgh in 1967 and brought up in Aberdeen. Educated in England and Scotland, in the state and independent sectors, he is passionately committed to raising standards in state schools and helping children from less privileged backgrounds to maximise their potential.

Michael’s parents live in Aberdeen. His father ran a fish-processing business and his mother was a lab assistant at Aberdeen University before working at Aberdeen School for the Deaf.

Viewing 25 replies - 126 through 150 (of 160 total)
Reply To: Reply #132072 in Whatever happened to Brexit?
Your information: