What will power your next car?

This topic contains 27 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Avatar vinalspin 3 days, 2 hours ago.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #90573 Reply
    Moreton5

Depends on the market at the time and what’s available

#90576 Reply
    Winston

Not sure if the technology has been perfected enough yet but it feels like my arse tonight could power my car for a month… 😳😭😂😂😷

#90589 Reply
    Craig

Petrol or diesel

#90593 Reply
    JS

Hybrid paired with diesel has caught my attention lately and is likely to be our next engine choice.

#90645 Reply
    Andyjm2uk
    Participant

I think a plugin hybrid would be perfect for me.  I just need a decent size\spec car on the scheme.

#90647 Reply
    Landyman

Would like a full EV but would consider a diesel hybrid..

Probably end up with a diesel, can’t see anything coming on motability just yet.

#90657 Reply
    Abercol
    Participant

I will do my bit for the environment and get a diesel. Low Co2 figures. NO2 & particulates not a big deal on a new Euro 6.2a car, unlike the huge clouds of black fumes coming out of the local old city buses.

#90686 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

I will do my bit for the environment and get a diesel. Low Co2 figures. NO2 & particulates not a big deal on a new Euro 6.2a car, unlike the huge clouds of black fumes coming out of the local old city buses.

Unfortunately I will go down diesel route as well, originally I had good intentions of going down the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV route until the AP shot up from £2000 to £ 3499 and now £3749, I then considered the Toyota RAV4 hybrid but again this shot up from £2749 to I think £3249.

At present VW are offering a Tiguan R Tech 150 diesel with all the toys for £2199, perfect for all my needs plus towing our caravan, I would have thought Motability would offers some incentive/support to help people make the change with all their reserves they are sitting on?

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#90693 Reply
    JS

The Hyundai Tucson is a 48v Mild Hybrid paired with Diesel well worth a look and a good intermediate option until Range Anxiety of pure Electric arrive and is expelled.

#90697 Reply
    Charles G

A lot of my driving is within the city so I am hoping my current car will be my last with a purely petrol engine. I am in traffic for most of my commute and it just makes less and less sense.

A plug In Hybrid would be perfect for me as I can charge it for free at work. Unfortunately the only one I can afford on the scheme at the moment is the Niro and when we had a look at it and the boot is way too small for it to be practical for us. I’ll probably end up with an Ioniq Hybrid as it seems like a good compromise until there is more choice. I’d be all over the MG ZS EV if it were on the scheme now mind.

#90705 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

The Hyundai Tucson is a 48v Mild Hybrid paired with Diesel well worth a look and a good intermediate option until Range Anxiety of pure Electric arrive and is expelled.

I had a look at the sister model a Kia Sportage the other day, the boot is far too small and narrower than my current Ford Kuga, the salesman informed me the hybrid has no spare wheel as the space is taken up by the battery plus the boot space is smaller than the none hybrid?

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#90733 Reply
    JS

It really does depend on equipment needed to put in the boot, seats up or down etc. on the Tucson the hybrid system does lose the space saver wheel and replaced with a foam repair kit and overall loses 29litres of space compared to the none hybrid but the Tucson boot is on paper is already bigger than the Sportage and  Kuga, even with losing 29ltr to the hybrid system the Tucson remains 28ltr bigger than the standard Kuga, but as suggested on another thread it’s all in the useable space and shape, but it really is a different vehicle to the Kia and worth a look on its on merits.

#90787 Reply
    Philjb

A hybrid diesel if I can find one with seats that suit, a size that suits and one that is nice and practical with lots of useful tech that works well and still good to drive.

In the past I’ve had bad experiences with Hyundai and Kia hire cars, Ive also found them poor on fuel and slow for the size of engines.
    But I know they are improving all the time.

last year I borrowed an 140 hydride I think? and it shuddered in traffic and made an awful squealing noise when creeping forward feathering the brakes.
    It only had a thousand miles on the clock and the grey supposedly leather, looked and felt like it was made of Lino. Very cheap real to it.

#90813 Reply
    BigDave
    Participant

Diesel.

#90840 Reply
    FRED FLINSTONE

MY FEET

#90846 Reply
    JS

MY FEET

mybe you could borrow One of The cars from One of your Aliases!

#91183 Reply
    Mike

All things considered it will be another  diesel powered AWD automatic. Probably a SUV such as the Jeep Compass Trailhawk AWD auto, or the same vehicle in Limited trim or the Renault Koleos GT Line AWD.

#91344 Reply
    Bandit
    Participant

Well, given that issue of my Td Sharan is imminent, my next car won’t be for a full three years.

I’d like to think that by then a) there will hopefully be a range of EVs with a reliable 200+ range and b) a good number of them will be on the scheme.

If so, then I think I’d definitely be happy going for an EV, not sure I’d purchase one privately but on the scheme certainly.

#92412 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Here is an update to the above survey, it shows Electric increasing and most others decreasing.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

#92446 Reply
    Andy
    Participant

I think our next car will be diesel, I’m hoping three years from now electric vehicles will have become a lot more mainstream, and there is a decent choice.

#92447 Reply
    Brydo

Andy that sounds like a good shout, motability will struggle to get access to EVs for a wee while yet imo.

#92465 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

I’ve got two years to go before next car but hoping for a plug in diesel might emerged by then but then I seen this item the other day and thought I might get by on all electric but should the range and size of the car be usable I bet I won’t be able to afford the AP.

Diesel it is then.

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/10/skoda-ev-mule-hits-the-nurburgring-will-be-a-production-version-of-the-vision-iv-concept/

#92470 Reply
    Adam

We are happy with our RAV4, it’s high to get into, has a huge boot compared to our previous Q3 and I think the hybrid engine is working in our favour as we now are doing more town miles and even better it’s about £20 cheaper per tank to fill up!

we had looked at going full electric but the i3 boot was to small but we could have lived with the leaf sunken boot but that wasn’t on the scheme.

in my view, we may struggle to see a lot of electric cars on the scheme in the short term because of popularity. All the time the manufacturers can sell at non discounted prices to the public or to company car drivers (for lower company car tax), why would they be interested in discounting the cars to motability

adam

#92476 Reply
    DavidandKarenH
    Participant
    #92478 Reply
    Brydo

Your right Adam, they won’t.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
Reply To: What will power your next car?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: