What temperature do you keep your house at?

• Creator
    Topic
  • #179825 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

With fuel prices going through the roof has anyone reduced their indoor temperaturs to save money?

We set our heating at 22.5 C and it is on about 18 hours a day. I fully expect my monthly payment to double before the end of the year. That will mean a monthly payment of some £250 ……………gulp.

So how do we deal with this, do we just grin and bare it or do we turn the temperature down to save money?

They recommend a temp of around 21C but i feel the house cold at that temp.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #179833 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Set ours at about 21C and let the quite effective radiator thermostats take care of variations. Bright sunny days enable the glass conservatory to have open doors to lounge and act as big solar heater. Sunny days also heat the domestic water via solar panels. Not much difference but it helps.

Just received emaillery from Brit Gas telling us that Covid, Ukraine and gods-know-what-else will cause an increase to our average £2,000pa bills. Going up to £4,000. Is 100% increase par for the course?

#179837 Reply
    joss

We have our central heating set to 22 degrees, but like @Tharg all rads are fitted with good quality Thermostats that balance the system very well. Also a new Combi boiler that is very efficient.

Its very handy having a brother in law who has his own plumbing business. I still have a year left of my 2 year duel fuel contract left. So currently £600.00 in credit that just happens to earn me 5% interest. So i am happy to let it earn and build up for new contract time next April 2023

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI

"Men fight for liberty & win it with hard knocks. Their children brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves" - D.H. Lawrence

#179992 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

It is an incontrovertible fact that women like rooms hotter.  Best way to save money is to occupy different rooms.

#179995 Reply
    joss

It is an incontrovertible fact that women like rooms hotter. Best way to save money is to occupy different rooms.

On the contrary, Wigwam. My dear wife does not endure hotter rooms. She is the original Ice Queen.

Joss

"Men fight for liberty & win it with hard knocks. Their children brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves" - D.H. Lawrence

#179999 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

18 degrees jumper when needed

#180001 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

You have a gem there Joss. Definitely one to keep.

#180004 Reply
    Ginny
    Participant

If it gets cold we put it on 16-17. but try not to leave it one for more than a couple of hours in the evening as it gets uncomfortably hot at night. My husband has a jumper and long trousers on at this time of year, but I prefer a fleece over my knees. The central heating play havoc with my asthma. BTW it is my husband who puts the heating on; I wouldn’t even turn it on that high.

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by Ginny.

Current vehicle: 2018 SEAT LEON ST 1.8 TSI FR Technology DSG
    On order: MINI Hatch 2.0 Cooper S Classic Premium 5DR Auto

#180022 Reply
    Phaedra
    Participant

Mine is on 24/7, was set to 20.5 now 19.5.  It doesn’t run all day/night of course only comes on when needed.

Currently using about 10 – 11 units a week (according to the meter) will see if turning it down 1c has made any difference when I check it tomorrow.

During the summer months weekly use drops to 0.4 – 1.o units, highest it’s been was 14.4 2nd week of Jan.  Electricity is fairly constant at around 62KwH a week.  I’m in about 90% of the time with a 49″ TV on running the PC through it.

There's room for all God's creatures, right next to the mash and gravy 🙂

#180030 Reply
    Phaedra
    Participant

So, going by this morninggs weekly readings I’ve only used 48KwH of electricity (which seems low!) and the gas has gone down to 7.1 units.  That’s a 30% drop for the gas compared to last week, maybe because of the 1deg drop on the thermostat but the weather has been a bit better as well so probably a combination of both.

Let’s see what next weeks readings bring!.

There's room for all God's creatures, right next to the mash and gravy 🙂

#180831 Reply
    struth
    Participant

ive dropped mine to 20.5c from 21c. every little helps.  just got to start reducing my leccy now which is the most costly.

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
    Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

#180836 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

Dropped mine to 18c – 19c from 22c.

#180923 Reply
    Mike11

20 here 24 year old boiler

#180928 Reply
    Sue
    Participant

During winter the thermostat is set at 18.5 – 19 degrees but only between December and beginning of March. It’s now at our spring setting of 15 degrees (as in it won’t come on unless the house temp goes below 15) and in a few days, I will further switch it down to 10 for the rest of the year.

We use quilts on the sofa and fleece blankets over quilts on the beds if needed. It’s not as if I am a warm person either, I’m one of those that feels the cold but I fear the meter more, need to control the bills and economise as much as possible to balance the books.

I’ll not be putting the heating on at all next winter at the rate the increases are going, I won’t be able to afford the standing charge let alone any gas usage.

#180929 Reply
    DumfriesDik
    Participant

We have Wiser smart heating controls.

Living room is at 21c as that is what my wife likes, I turn it off if she goes out!. Don’t really use any other rooms that need heating.

Mazda CX5 is my DD
    VW ID3 Max on order 5 Nov 21

#180935 Reply
    joss

We use a Honeywell digi control that is set at 21c. We only have it programmed to come on for an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening. If we want it on more, we just hit on button.

Will drop down to 19.5c later on

Joss

#180995 Reply
    Jojoe

Top tip for saving on gas bills. Get Hive installed. We have it and it’s so easy to turn the heating down or even off. If we’re in bed in the morning and the boiler fires up, I’ll get my phone and switch it off. It’s the same if your out and it’s set to come on, or even if your just sat watching TV and you decide it’s not too cold, just pick up your phone and turn it off or down. Whilst you wouldn’t normally get up to turn it off, you do if you can do it with your phone. I estimate we save £150 a year switching it off when not needed, and this will increase as the cost of gas goes up. We also have Hive lightbulbs, you can turn them off and on from your phone and set them to come off and on throughout the night, ideal for security when on holiday.

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
Reply To: What temperature do you keep your house at?
Your information: