What is wireless electric car charging? EV tech explained

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  ChrisK 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #72445 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

EV range, and more specifically battery size, has developed into an arms race for car makers, with new electric cars coming in thick and fast with updated powertrains. Fast-charging is very much on the horizon – just look at the Porsche Taycan, for example – but right now, the longer your range, the better. But the real solution to range anxiety could have nothing to do with range at all; it could be solved by wireless charging.

Yes, it’s a sideways step in terms of thinking, but a step forward in terms of ease of use. While we waitsfor incremental cell improvements and the possibility of solid state tech, Qualcomm believes wireless charging – similar to that in modern smartphones –  is the magic bullet for range worries.

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/electric/what-is-electric-car-wireless-charging-wevc-and-how-does-it-work-/

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #72477 Reply

ChrisK
    Participant

I’ve seen this in action a few years ago with the go-carts they had at Goodrington, Devon, not to be confused with the petrol carts just up the road at Churston.

The carts were electric, no smoke or noise, and they would be driven around the track by little and very big kids like us and when they came into the pits at the end of your go they would stop over a large pad running down the length of the pit-stop and this was wireless charging where the cart did not actually make contact with the charger.

I don’t know how well it worked and whether they needed to be connected to a proper charger every now and again to keep them going during busy times but when I go electric it would be good being disabled and all to have such a pad on my hardstanding for the always ready electric car.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
Reply To: What is wireless electric car charging? EV tech explained

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: