What is aquaplaning and how to avoid it

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Georgie 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #99451 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

We look at aquaplaning what it means, how it affects your car and what to do if it happens to you
    We get more than our fair share of rain in the UK and the problem only gets worse in winter. Not only does heavy rain reduce visibility and increase braking distances, but it also creates standing water, which can cause your car to aquaplane.

If you’ve ever experienced aquaplaning before – either from behind the wheel or the passenger seat – you’ll know it’s no laughing matter. That’s why it’s absolutely vital that you understand what you need to do if you find yourself aquaplaning and how you can prevent it in the first place. This guide explains everything you need to know…

• Driving in floods and heavy rain – top tips

What is Aquaplaning?
    Aquaplaning is a relatively simple concept. It occurs when a layer of water forms between the surface of your car tyres and the road surface, breaking the contact between your tyres and the road. When a car starts aquaplaning its tyres lose contact with the road and the car stops responding to control inputs such as braking, steering an acceleration.

As well as helping your car grip the road through corners, the grooves in your car tyres are designed to dissipate water that is on the road. If the volume of water on the road is greater than the volume of tread on your tyres, there will be a surplus of water which cannot be dissipated and the car can start to aquaplane.

Also included in this article

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/winter-driving-special/100730/what-is-aquaplaning-and-how-to-avoid-it

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #99552 Reply

Clipped wings

Good heads up. An underestimated threat in these days of excellent tyres. If my memory is correct from lessons in the 70 s, the max aquaplane speed is 9 x the square route of the tyre pressure (psi)

the cross ply tyres on a 747 are about 225 psi so aquaplane speed 135kts.
    on my touran, 36 psi so 50 mph but not sure if that applies to Michelin primacy 4s

#99557 Reply

Georgie

Clipped wings yes you are correct

#99570 Reply

Georgie

Hello!  I

Err . . . I didn’t write that last Post.

There now seems to be two people posting here called ‘Georgie’.

“Hello, other Georgie!”

I’m Georgie from Surrey.  Nice to meet you.

#99577 Reply

brydo

That shouldn’t happen, time to call the super mods.

#99578 Reply

Georgie

Hi, Brydo!

Not being a Member (application kept being refused for some reason – my fault, no doubt), I don’t know how to notify the Mods.

:\

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: What is aquaplaning and how to avoid it

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: