What did you want to be when you were younger?

• Creator
    Topic
  • #66355 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Were you an athletic wonder kid, a mathematical genius or were you a late bloomer.

I never really had any burning ambition to be anything in particular but I was always one of those people who was good at sports. I was never exceptional at any of the sports I played but I was always better than most of my friends.

At school I was similar not the best but always doing ok.

Being a site for people with disabilities and their carers I am sure there will be a few of you who have had their lives turned upside down because of health problems of one kind or another. If its not too difficult for you let us know what your ambitions were as a younger person and how any disability you have has affected your ambitions.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #66368 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

I wanted to be a footballer I was told I would go far but had a spinal injury in 1980 I was told I wouldn’t walk again and was given a brand new wheelchair but being young I proved them wrong was in hospital for a year at Sheffield spinal injuries I came out walking unaided now at 52 I have a walking stick ! I also cannot move my fingers and have earring aids but I keep happy but my star sign is pieces so alas I worry a lot ! My lovely partner sue used to be a career so she understands my disabilities

BBC Breakfast expert, Toyota CHR driver.

#66389 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Mike you’ve done great to come through all that, just shows what the mind can do. Being positive in life is the best medicine any doctor could prescribe.

#66392 Reply
    Trev
    Participant

Well done @mike11 that showed ’em, you must have been so strong mentally to come through that – kudos to you brother.

At school year after year my report card always said ‘could do better’. I was in the 2nd lowest class for maths at one point but ended up in to the top class by year 5 and got my o-levels in maths and english. French i got ungraded in CSE level lol

I wanted to be a quantity surveyor and went to tech college, got a diploma, but it came at the time when we had the massive housing crash and i was apply for jobs along with people who had 10+ years experience.

I was working part time in Tesco from the age of 15, so instead went along the management route.

Looking back i wish i had learnt a trade, electrician, carpet fitter, plumber, any trade really, and then worked on my own. I do love the outdoors, would be happy as a postie, binman…. a lot of things i would have liked to have done, but never did.

Mota History - Nissan Qashqai Ford Focus Seat Leon ST Mazda CX-5

#66428 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Trev as the old saying goes “it’s not where you start it’s where you finish”.

#67014 Reply
    Winston
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Great Topic Brydo!</p>
    And great to hear about Mike like Smokey & The Bandit doing something they said can’t be done ?

I could write a book on all the things ,places and hobbies I’ve wanted to experience but always found a reason never to try them ????

I’ve wanted to be 3 or 4 things in my life over the years,

I think after watching the first Raiders of the Lost Ark film I wanted to be an explorer/archaeologist. I mean who wouldn’t want to be India Jones? I’ve always been fascinated with ancient cultures and civilisations and the thought of unearthing some fantastic lost treasure was very appealing lol

That led onto being a Volcanologist as I find them mesmerising to watch and the energy they release scary and deadly

Then a fighter pilot haha

And finally an astronaught..

Probably see a bit of a pattern here and realise that I’m a complete dreamer ??? and love awe inspiring scenery   dramatic landscapes or the visuals from mother nature unleashing her full fury

Needless to say none of these dream careers have ever remotely came true lol

And I’ll never finish my book on the joys of procrastinating either ?

When life hands you melons...,
    Make melonade!

#67036 Reply
    Trev
    Participant

I did always want to be Superman so i could fly, if that counts lol

Best superhero imho.

Mota History - Nissan Qashqai Ford Focus Seat Leon ST Mazda CX-5

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: What did you want to be when you were younger?
Your information: