What Car Car of the year 2021 is…

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #136253 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Sandero, eh? Dunno whether Whatcar is being outstandingly honest and practical or far too clever for its own good. Nice to see the Superb still getting some points. That small Toyota Yaris looks a nice thing and, what with the shortage of two-door cars on the scheme, we really ought to have it, don’t you think?

#136260 Reply
    Southamman

I think the problem us either RSA don’t want to insure (unlikely) less cars available in two door format, or Motability don’t think us leassors want them..

#136269 Reply
    Carl

You would never chose a dacia on the mobility scheme, because you could pick one up new for 7k.   Lots of monthly payment deals out there for the sander for under £150 per month.

#136273 Reply
    MickC

#136284 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

Ridiculous when you think the Sandero is really nothing more than an old Renault Clio.

#136286 Reply
    Aygo1991
    Participant

Ridiculous when you think the Sandero is really nothing more than an old Renault Clio.

The previous model is but the brand-new model shares the same architecture (electrical, mechanical) as the current Clio and Micra.

Motability cars:

2015 RR Evoque AWD 2.0 TD4 SE Tech - written off
    2017 Toyota CH-R 1.2T Dynamic CVT AWD - written off
    2019 BMW X2 2.0L Sport

#136288 Reply
    Aygo1991
    Participant

You would never chose a dacia on the mobility scheme, because you could pick one up new for 7k. Lots of monthly payment deals out there for the sander for under £150 per month.

That’s very true, unless you’re really taking advantage of the 20,000 miles on offer.

Motability cars:

2015 RR Evoque AWD 2.0 TD4 SE Tech - written off
    2017 Toyota CH-R 1.2T Dynamic CVT AWD - written off
    2019 BMW X2 2.0L Sport

#136339 Reply
    alan1302
    Participant

You would never chose a dacia on the mobility scheme, because you could pick one up new for 7k. Lots of monthly payment deals out there for the sander for under £150 per month.

True, but you do need to factor in servicing costs and insurance as well and road fund.  And probably most people won’t go for the very cheapest one.

#136340 Reply
    alan1302
    Participant

Ridiculous in what way?

#136393 Reply
    Georgie

Don’t knock the Clio.  We had one and it was a racy little beggar.  Suspension like concrete, mind you, but really brisk and it handled extremely well around the bendy bits.

#136403 Reply
    Harry

Just when you thought 2021 could not get anyworse… We now have a Sandero as car of the year in January and we thought 2020 was bad.

#136409 Reply
    alan1302
    Participant

Just when you thought 2021 could not get anyworse… We now have a Sandero as car of the year in January and we thought 2020 was bad.

What’s wrong with a decent/well built car that does everything a car needs to do at a very good price?

#136410 Reply
    Georgie

The Sandero is only the winner of the Small Car section, isn’t it?

The Seat Leon 1.5 TSI 130 Evo FR won Best Family Car

Toyota GR Yaris 1.6 (Circuit Pack) won Best Hot Hatch

Ford Puma 1.0 Ecoboost Hybrid 155 Titanium won Best Small SUV (which is Good News as I rather fancy getting one of those next time around)

Volvo XC40 T3 R-Design (auto) won Best family SUV

That probably covers the cars we’re most interested in, I doesn’t it?  You lot can read the rest yourselves. 🙂

#136430 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

Ridiculous in what way?

There are far better cars out there than a Sandero or Clio. I’ve had a Clio which was ok but no better than average. I’m sure they just pass these awards around the manufacturers to keep them happy.

#136431 Reply
    alan1302
    Participant

Ridiculous in what way?

There are far better cars out there than a Sandero or Clio. I’ve had a Clio which was ok but no better than average. I’m sure they just pass these awards around the manufacturers to keep them happy.

They usually give it to new cars out, as it’s a small car award that narrows the field even more.  What car would you have gone for?

You’ve still not said why it is ridiculous that the car won it though.  Even if there are better cars that Sandero is a very capable car for not a lot of money.

#136437 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Has it only won because of its cheap price ?

BBC Breakfast expert, Toyota CHR driver.

#136441 Reply
    alan1302
    Participant

Has it only won because of its cheap price ?

No, although I expect that will be a part of it.

It’s a good quality car that does all most people need at a very good price

#136452 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

But Alan please don’t take this the wrong but a lot of people wouldn’t be seen dead in it

BBC Breakfast expert, Toyota CHR driver.

#136466 Reply
    Pg

People will happily drive their 3 cylinder front wheel drive Kia looking “BMWs”, see no reason why they couldn’t hop in a sandero.

#136468 Reply
    psuader

Seems like a lot of badge snobbery comments from people who should know better. Dacia is giving people what they want, like Aldi, with no superfluous nonsense, just good, solid value. Not everyone wants to impress the neighbours. Lots of Mrs Bouquets here…

#136469 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Each to their own, we say around these parts.

#136470 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

The owner reviews give it a 3 star rating so not brilliant from those who have lived with the car, but as WMC says each to their own.

#136473 Reply
    alan1302
    Participant

But Alan please don’t take this the wrong but a lot of people wouldn’t be seen dead in it

I know  – but don’t think that should stop it from winning an award.

People that would not be seen dead in are (being polite) silly

#136474 Reply
    alan1302
    Participant

The owner reviews give it a 3 star rating so not brilliant from those who have lived with the car, but as WMC says each to their own.

Is the car not on sale from February so there won’t be any owner reviews yet?  Just going from what I waa reading on AutoExpress website.

#136478 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

What’s wrong with a decent/well built car that does everything a car needs to do at a very good price?

Just out of interest what do you drive?

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 50 total)
Reply To: Reply #136437 in What Car Car of the year 2021 is…
Your information: