What are the conditions at the end of a lease if you choose to buy your car?

• Creator
    Topic
  • #102783 Reply
    MakkaChappa
    Participant

Hi there, I can’t seem to find this info anywhere and stumbled across this helpful looking forum. I was wondering what the conditions were for buying a car at the end of your lease? Do you lose your ability to get another Motability car, as you’ve elected to keep the preexisting one, or is it possible to keep the first car via direct purchase, and receive another via lease on the scheme?
    I would ask my garage or Motability directly, but I don’t want to look like I’m taking advantage of the scheme. I just really love my little 500, had her for a year with no hiccups or troubles and I don’t know if I’d be able to let her go.

Thank you in advance.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #102784 Reply
    Colin
    Participant

As far as I know, towards the end of your lease, you ask Motability for a price and that’s all of the negotiation involved – they give you a take it or leave it figure.

It won’t be a GOOD price but it isn’t usually terrible either – they basically ask for it’s current full market value less the good condition bonus you’ve earned.  The only real advantage you get buying your car is that you KNOW how it’s been driven/looked after so (assuming you haven’t been driving it like you stole it) you get that peace of mind over buying an equivalent car direct from a dealer.

After it’s paid for, you should be free to rejoin with another lease as long as you have at least a full year left on your allowance, PIP, DLA, WPMS, whichever applies – they don’t care that you bought the last one.

There have been a few people I’ve seen here who buy the cars on behalf of friends or family, and it hasn’t been an issue.

I may not be 100% correct but I’m pretty sure this is the case – others should absolutely feel free to tell me I’m wrong and to shut up lol

EDIT: Dunno if a mod can or wants to move this post, but this seems a VERY main forum issue and the info people will offer may be helpful to others who don’t check the off topic area much… Absolutely 100% NOT a dig at it being here in the off topic area, just thought the info might be useful to the world at large lol.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by Colin.

"Man is born in freedom, but he soon becomes a slave, in cages of convention, from the cradle, to the grave."

#102788 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

i think colin is pretty much spot on, i think you have to pay for the car 3 weeks before lease end once youve been given the price. but as colin says theres no problem with having a new lease subject to you qualifying as usual.

#102790 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

@Colin, Thanks – moved to main forum.

#102798 Reply
    Dave h

Yes I bought my last car for my brother they will only sell car to you then you sell it on to who ever if you wish so but they have to change tax from disabled to regular tax

#102862 Reply
    Wazza
    Participant

Few things to remember…

1. They want the full amount. No finance is given.

The following might change but normally..

1. Car will come without its 3rd service. You have to service it yourself.

2. Car will come with no warranty compared to buying from a garage.

What some do is they try to find where the car goes after they return it and then buy it back from the auction (cheaper price maybe) or a garage which will give a warranty and probably service the car for free.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Reply #102790 in What are the conditions at the end of a lease if you choose to buy your car?
Your information: