what about listing the problems/defects you've had with your car.

This topic contains 47 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  Adrian 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #112789 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

We all seem to enjoy our motability cars and once this is over we will once again enjoy trips out to the park, beach, shopping or a spot of lunch. However some cars can be unreliable, so as an aid to those due to pick a new car it maybe help if we note which car we have and list any problems you’ve had and how long they too to fix.

We have a Volvo XC60 and have had:-

1) A small software issue that was fixed with a reboot, I think, took ten minutes

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 22 replies - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #112874 Reply

NewYork1
    Participant

2 year old VW Touran 1.4tsi SEL Manual.

Front Headrest needed replacing due to a recall and the multi media system won’t shuffle my songs on the SD card but other then that it’s a good car, very happy with it.

Current car VW Touran SEL

#112894 Reply

Mo1
    Participant

Tried that multiple times. Volvo looked at it when in for service but didn’t find anything. Oh well… It’s going back soon!

#114137 Reply

Angie Cantwellp

Have a Seat Alhambra  and I am quite concerned regarding the doors opening by themselves!!

This morning Sunday May 31 went into the porch and saw that the boot was open, went to the car checking to see if anything was missing no scooter, stroller were in the back. This is not the first time that either the doors or windows have opened. Only had car since December 2019.

Anyone with an Alhambra SUV 7 seater can you advise if you have experienced anything like this (begining to think ghosts or aliens are about)

#114138 Reply

HoneyMonster
    Participant

Angie we had our Alhambra for over the three years and 50,000 miles. Never had a problem like this  someone isn’t accidently sitting on key or something pressing against boot release button in bag, are first things too rule out, which you have probably ruled out already.  Failing that Dealer your best bet and if no satisfaction from them, Motability themselves explaining your concerns of theft from or of vehicle.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  HoneyMonster.
    #114144 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

My Alhambra did that all the time, I figured it out eventually, it is as HoneyMonster says, it seems that the remotes are very sensitive to accidental activation and it only takes a very brief and light press of the buttons on the remote keyfob to activate the opening and once I realised this I took my key out of my pocket and put it on a shelf every time I came in the house, never happened after that.

#114148 Reply

gothitjulie
    Participant

My Alhambra boot opened in the middle of the night, had a knock on the door first light the next morning. Only happened the once and neither key was anywhere it could get pressed, parked the car the other way round since then & never happened again. However I’m always scared that boot will open & someone will steal my expensive lightweight electric wheelchair.

Other problem with the Alhambra is the driver’s door filling up with water which escapes in a gush when the door is opened, I just assume that VW group cars are badly made.

Previous to the Alhambra I had a Citroen C4 Grand Picasso, it had a display that would go blank whilst driving (so no speedo) for a few minutes, and the semi-auto gearbox often decided to change gears whilst pulling onto a roundabout, effectively stalling progress whilst it changed from 1st to 2nd gear, oh, and it would roll back whilst hill starting as there was no hill hold despite being an electric handbrake. Dangerous car.

#114152 Reply

Tharg

Georgie, if it’s a low bridge coming up, do you get the Wile E Coyote ten-ton weight dropping from above? Or, if you THINK you’re going into a tunnel… no, this could go on forever. I’ll stop, unless you’ve got the singing frog as an alert noise!

#114156 Reply

ChrisK
    Participant

Had the same with the tracking right from the start after asking them to check it at a few hundred miles because the car has a very slight pull to the left that they said was normal so I told them it must just be my imagination running away with me after driving for nearly 50 years and covering well over a million miles and that I’m well aware of the drainage gradient of the roads. A couple of niggally things but overall happy with the reliability of the car.

Just returning to my remarks about the tracking on my car and with my grandson giving the car a good clean and waxing last week I gave it a once over.

Checking all the tyres I have one space-saver as brand new never used and three tyres with hardly any ware and one front nearside tyre that’s looking like it will need replacing within the next 2,000 miles when the car will be at 11,000 miles clocked.

This really does get my Goat after reporting the problem with the pull to the left and being told “its normal”.

When I went to the dealer the car had less than 1,000 miles on the clock and I had the cold shoulder when I asked them to make a note in their service log that I came in to have it checked but I know in reality they never said or wrote a word, after all, there dealing with an old disabled fool. Oh also not forgetting the car was serviced last November with a comment from the dealer that the car is in good above averaged condition.

So in 2,000 miles time I will need a new tyre and what’s the chances I will get frowned upon looks, after all, as far as there concerned I’m an old disabled driver who has bashed the kerb with the car.

I know I don’t need to pay anything but there’s something here that involves my pride and Motabilities money that could easily been avoided had the dealer done their job.😢

#114194 Reply

Phaedra
    Participant

New model Qashqai in 2015

1.5 diesel manual, absolutely terrible MPG, around 35 on a good day.  Did a test with my neighbours son who had the same model, driving each others over a 25 mile test I got a min of average of 42, max of 49 in his, he got 34-39 in mine. Dealer said nothing wrong with it!.

Stop-Start terrible, pulling out of a junction it had a nasty habit of stopping and then re-starting when half way out, very worrying!.  Also very poor pickup in second gear, absolutely flat.

And the sound system was complete pants, sounded like a cheap 80’s boom box!! 🙂

There's room for all God's creatures, right next to the mash and gravy 🙂

#116137 Reply

Jaro
    Participant

Ford Kuga ST line X

Had it 20 months its broken down three times with the same problem. When either going up a steep incline or at around 60mph it tries to shake itself apart and the amber engine warning light comes on. It’s cut out completely twice and would not start again, rac man on the second occasion advised getting rid of it.

Ford have said its the DPF and the reason is because I’m not doing enough mileage, I do just below 1000 miles a month.

#116141 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

Ford Kuga ST line X Had it 20 months its broken down three times with the same problem. When either going up a steep incline or at around 60mph it tries to shake itself apart and the amber engine warning light comes on. It’s cut out completely twice and would not start again, rac man on the second occasion advised getting rid of it. Ford have said its the DPF and the reason is because I’m not doing enough mileage, I do just below 1000 miles a month.

Strange have just changed our Ford Kuga diesel over the 3 years we had done less than 20,000, far less than your 1,000 miles per month no problems ?

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#116148 Reply

Vinnie
    Participant

Need to correct my statement, water leak since new, due to incorrect hoist fitting! All sorted now,  but my beautiful car has come back with 4 scuff marks, not amused, it was perfect, like new before it went in. In the hands of Motability at the moment, I complained!

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by  Vinnie.
    #116164 Reply

Jaro
    Participant

Strange have just changed our Ford Kuga diesel over the 3 years we had done less than 20,000, far less than your 1,000 miles per month no problems ?[/quote]

Exactly. The Ford dealer here is useless. In what world is 1000 miles a month not enough. The first time it broke down was a couple of weeks after a service, the RAC guy checked the oil and it was black. I’m a HGV driver and a retired diesel maintenance instructor and I’ve never seen oil so dirty. The last time it went into Ford they told me they have to investigate and it won’t be ready for at least 5 days, 2 hours later they phoned and said it was ready. When I went and collected it I noticed the seat had been moved back but the car was still in the Sam position I left it. I suspect they just turned the warning light of. Two weeks later the light came on again then went off. The car is now being changed as we have no confidence in it. The engine warning light has come on again today.

#116165 Reply

Markymate

Two and half years in and the Kodiaq keeps breezing through everything I throw at it. No faults as yet.

#116173 Reply

PillBoy
    Participant

Toyota Rav 4 Hybrid

Had it 3 years.  Had to replace the key fob  battery.

That’s all.

#116213 Reply

Adrian

Ford Kuga 2.0 diesel powershift. Great to drive, but annoying to live with.

Left hand undertray cane loose and dragged along the road at motorway speeds – the passing air forced it down so looking under the car without the benefit of a ramp didn’t reveal what was wrong.

Right hand side undertray just dropped out too.

Parking sensors DO NOT WORK AT ALL IN THE WET. Complained every time it’s gone for a service – and every time the dealer said they can’t find a fault.

”clicking” from the steering wheel when indicator’s are on. Two dealers have said all Kuga have the same behaviour so it’s not faulty. So it’sa design issue, say I – it’s a hideous noise and unacceptable.

Traction control comes on going over even “soft” speed bumps.

None of these faults on their own were dealbreakers, but together, and with the dealer saying “it’s supposed to be like that” for annoying noises, and saying there is nothing wrong with the parking sensors (5 times now) they’ve put me off getting another Ford for a while

#116231 Reply

Matt

Clutch went on our Hyundai Tucson at 29k miles.

#116239 Reply

solent60
    Participant

Must be lucky. Never had a return-to-dealer issue with any Mota’ vehicles. Two Superbs were perfect. Had a Vauxhall 4×4 thing and got rid early (couldn’t get in and out without pain – car too high). First one was a diesel Mondeo and with hindsight should have sent it back – brakes were hideously oversensitive. Anything other than the lightest touch felt lke emergency stop; madam T wouldn’t drive it. I just got used to doing very careful centre pedal touch. Hardly used latest car – Cooper S 3-door. Five weeks old and 40 miles on clock! Very pleased so far; expecting scrabbling front wheels but surprisingly smooth on take-up, even out of corners. Very point-and-go; enjoyable. Ride a bit firmer than expected (test was in 4-dr which must be a bit softer on springs) but I guess I’ll get used to it.

I’m not sure you will get used to the firm ride of the Cooper S Tharg. My last car was the Mini and as much as it was enjoyable to drive and good fun all round – the harsh ride killed my lower back. We’re all different of course & with different levels of disability – but personally speaking it crippled me after a considerable drive. I hope it isn’t the same for you because they’re smashing little pocket rockets… just not for me & my lower back. I’m sure driving it rattled out a couple of my teeth too!!!

#116247 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

Strange have just changed our Ford Kuga diesel over the 3 years we had done less than 20,000, far less than your 1,000 miles per month no problems ?

Exactly. The Ford dealer here is useless. In what world is 1000 miles a month not enough. The first time it broke down was a couple of weeks after a service, the RAC guy checked the oil and it was black. I’m a HGV driver and a retired diesel maintenance instructor and I’ve never seen oil so dirty. The last time it went into Ford they told me they have to investigate and it won’t be ready for at least 5 days, 2 hours later they phoned and said it was ready. When I went and collected it I noticed the seat had been moved back but the car was still in the Sam position I left it. I suspect they just turned the warning light of. Two weeks later the light came on again then went off. The car is now being changed as we have no confidence in it. The engine warning light has come on again today.[/quote]

No they cannot be worse than my local Ford dealer that got to be impossible, if i called my dealer grossly incompetent that would be a compliment.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#116249 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

Ford Kuga 2.0 diesel powershift. Great to drive, but annoying to live with. Left hand undertray cane loose and dragged along the road at motorway speeds – the passing air forced it down so looking under the car without the benefit of a ramp didn’t reveal what was wrong. Right hand side undertray just dropped out too. Parking sensors DO NOT WORK AT ALL IN THE WET. Complained every time it’s gone for a service – and every time the dealer said they can’t find a fault. ”clicking” from the steering wheel when indicator’s are on. Two dealers have said all Kuga have the same behaviour so it’s not faulty. So it’sa design issue, say I – it’s a hideous noise and unacceptable. Traction control comes on going over even “soft” speed bumps. None of these faults on their own were dealbreakers, but together, and with the dealer saying “it’s supposed to be like that” for annoying noises, and saying there is nothing wrong with the parking sensors (5 times now) they’ve put me off getting another Ford for a while

Your undertrays came lose as well, I had to go to Ford and buy some new fitting cost £22.00 when then arrived it was a couple of plastic pips, I could have got them from Halford for a couple of quid.

#116261 Reply

Philjb
    Participant

Vw Touran dsg sport Tdi

No problems  Recal for new fuel injectors and looms.

Vw Tiguan SEL tdi  dsg 4 motion

No problems Recal for infotainment software update and sunroof mood light Insulation to wiring block.

Tiguan fan boy

#116270 Reply

Adrian

<p style=”text-align: left;”>The dealer did replace the under tray on Motability’s dime. The dealer claimed it was not a quality issue and the only possible cause was ambitious off roading!</p>
     One other thing – the hands free tailgate is a nightmare! You can shuffle your feet by an inch when arranging the contents of the boot and the lid will give you a nasty knock on the head but with both hands full I can do flipping Riverdance under the bumper and it won’t open!

Viewing 22 replies - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
Reply To: what about listing the problems/defects you've had with your car.

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: