Well this was unexpected but now drive one of the best bargains on Motability

• This topic has 50 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 7 months ago by Gordon.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #172952 Reply
    Windy
    Participant

I wasn’t expecting to be in this position as I drive a car well van that most people I am sure don’t want. But now it seems with a reduced ap of £2999 has to be one of the best deals on Motability’s current list, so I want to give you an honest opinion.

so it’s the Vauxhall Vivaro e life elite which costs retail £51000 once you add a metallic colour or at least did when we got it. Make no mistake it’s a van not a car but that said it’s 5.3 metres long and can carry 8 people on quality leather seats with still plenty of room for a large chair or scooter with hoist.
    it has electric side opening doors seat massaging and heated seats they are electric adjustable but not particularly multi. Although large it’s feels narrow and easy to manoeuvre parking assisted by cameras. It has what most would consider a short range of 143 miles but in our first 4500 miles we have yet to use a public charger and just put it on charge every day as a habit, this works for us and the lowest so far was returning home with just 4 miles but no issues and I always make sure I pass chargers just in case. It has to be said she is more of a practical beast than an eye catching piece of driveway candy but I have grown very fond already wondering what we would do without such a utilitarian piece of kit.

some of the features like the upgraded headlights with auto dip etc are brilliant others like the analogue clocks and tiny gear selector are just daft. It was definitely bought to market in a hurry. Now it’s not fast but acceleration can be fun from the lights and roundabouts leaving surprise on the trailing cars but it’s no sports car. It’s more of a travelling lounge day van. Nice to sit behind the extremely dark windows with a cup of coffee and watch the world go by.

like I said at the beginning it’s probably not for many but it’s a real bargain and there are not many of those around

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #173452 Reply
    Ian

Interesting view point Elliot

You are happy to drive with expensive fuel because your employer pays your mileage?

Fuel bills aren’t big but your car must do at least 300 miles in any given day. So is it occasional big miles because overall fuel bill is low?

I think the scheme reflects the car market, my view is there are no premium vehicles on the scheme either ice or ev.

#173455 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

Yes Ian, I occasionally do long journey’s and saying a 300 mile range usually means a real world range of around 250 miles or less in winter. A round trip to my parents is around 200 miles which rules out a lot of the EV’s on the scheme.

#173456 Reply
    Ian

No worries Elliot I have a similar 200mile round trip to my parents which I do once a week in my BMW I3s.

A single 15min charge at Lancaster services gets me home an the charge overnight to top the battery up.

I do wish it would go a bit further on a charge but it costs me about £6 for 200 miles verses your £60….

#173458 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Typically on a fast charger an electric car will take on around 80-100 miles in 20 minutes some like the ionic5 much more. On a long journey I would be looking at a half hour break to recharge my own battery so like Ian I don’t see range being an issue.</p>

#173459 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

No worries Elliot I have a similar 200mile round trip to my parents which I do once a week in my BMW I3s. A single 15min charge at Lancaster services gets me home an the charge overnight to top the battery up. I do wish it would go a bit further on a charge but it costs me about £6 for 200 miles verses your £60….

I did like the i3 when I drove one Ian but it was just a little too small for me. Like I said however my car costs me nothing to run fuel wise. There’s no doubt my next car will be an EV, but I will probably have to go private to get what I want.

#173463 Reply
    Ian

Understand Elliot and actually I do wish the i3s did go a little further and was a little bigger but as you can probably tell I put up with it because of the wow factor to drive and the huge cost savings.

It’s my first ev but I am sure both range and cost will improve into the future.

Interestingly I think the better Evs will come from new brands rather than the current crop.

#173468 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

Understand Elliot and actually I do wish the i3s did go a little further and was a little bigger but as you can probably tell I put up with it because of the wow factor to drive and the huge cost savings. It’s my first ev but I am sure both range and cost will improve into the future. Interestingly I think the better Evs will come from new brands rather than the current crop.

I enjoyed driving the i3 Ian and if they did a larger version it would interest me. It’s a pity we can’t get cars like the Polestar2 on the scheme. I’d also be interested in the Kia EV6 but there’s a 7 month waiting list for one.

#173489 Reply
    Ian

Hopefully not long Elliot before Ioniq5, Ev6 etc made available.

I’ve got a hankering for the big Vivaro bus tho!

#173525 Reply
    Windy
    Participant

Ian I notice today that the Traveller has returned to scheme this only goes to make the Vivaro even more of a deal

#173530 Reply
    Ian

Thanks Windy going to have a look now.

#173549 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

Hopefully not long Elliot before Ioniq5, Ev6 etc made available. I’ve got a hankering for the big Vivaro bus tho!

My contact at Hyundai told me they are not expecting the Ionic5 to join any time soon. A pity.

#173550 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

I wasn’t expecting to be in this position as I drive a car well van that most people I am sure don’t want. But now it seems with a reduced ap of £2999 has to be one of the best deals on Motability’s current list, so I want to give you an honest opinion. so it’s the Vauxhall Vivaro e life elite which costs retail £51000 once you add a metallic colour or at least did when we got it. Make no mistake it’s a van not a car but that said it’s 5.3 metres long and can carry 8 people on quality leather seats with still plenty of room for a large chair or scooter with hoist. it has electric side opening doors seat massaging and heated seats they are electric adjustable but not particularly multi. Although large it’s feels narrow and easy to manoeuvre parking assisted by cameras. It has what most would consider a short range of 143 miles but in our first 4500 miles we have yet to use a public charger and just put it on charge every day as a habit, this works for us and the lowest so far was returning home with just 4 miles but no issues and I always make sure I pass chargers just in case. It has to be said she is more of a practical beast than an eye catching piece of driveway candy but I have grown very fond already wondering what we would do without such a utilitarian piece of kit. some of the features like the upgraded headlights with auto dip etc are brilliant others like the analogue clocks and tiny gear selector are just daft. It was definitely bought to market in a hurry. Now it’s not fast but acceleration can be fun from the lights and roundabouts leaving surprise on the trailing cars but it’s no sports car. It’s more of a travelling lounge day van. Nice to sit behind the extremely dark windows with a cup of coffee and watch the world go by. like I said at the beginning it’s probably not for many but it’s a real bargain and there are not many of those around

I could imagine sitting in the car with a home made coffee and sandwich watching the tide come in or go out, with the ability to take a nap!

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by fwippers. Reason: additional information
    #173553 Reply
    Ian

Love that! Sitting on the dock of the bay…..

I could take my coffee machine as the car has a 3pin plug!

Wonder if Motability would pay for 11kw charger or indeed because they have already installed a charger then they won’t install another.

#173560 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

It’s just a pity the such a big vehicle doesn’t have bigger batteries.

#173570 Reply
    steve

Would you know if a large monility scooter would fiit in the rear behind the 3rd row of seats please

#173571 Reply
    steve

would you know if a large mobility scooter  and hoist would fit in behinf the 3rd row of seats in the xl body

#173574 Reply
    Windy

Steve easily we can hoist our 6 wheel chair in and spin in right round it’s huge it wouldn’t in the standard but that extra half meter makes all the difference

#173578 Reply
    Windy

The one thing that is amusing me with this thread I have I believe owned 96 cars and 27 motorcycles my daughter reckons it’s 99 but the thing is from the weird to the wonderful it took until 2022 when the obsession became not about the V12 or the V6, the stereo or the abs the electric roof or even the colour. No today it all seems to hinge on How big is your fuel tank. I find this completely odd as I know we live in an age when everyone wants to be somewhere else now. But really having to stop a few extra minutes for power or fuel as my V12 xjrs did about 17 to the gallon and Harley V rod about 90 to a tank thing is no driving pleasure was lost. Range anxiety is a 1972 Vauxhall Victor with a broken fuel gauge when you only had a £1 for Petrol. The anxiety was where would you run out? Not if.

#173580 Reply
    Windy
    Participant

Ian I have used the 3 pin plug for charging wheelchair batteries and I have a battery Henry hoover so quite handy I wanted to put a plug in air freshener to counteract 4 stinky dogs but you would need an extension or double plug as they are an odd shape for where it is

#173601 Reply
    Ian

Windy good post! Its maybe about experiencing all different things about cars I guess. Before I got my Ev I couldnt help thinking there doesn’t seem to be too much different about cars, they do the same thing in a similar way . Yes there are premium brands and I’ve had them but actually is there much difference between them?

I haven’t had a big people carrier that has a much room as a space ship before……..think I’ve fulfilled my motorbike ambition with a rather splendid zzr1400 tho..

#173604 Reply
    Windy

I think the difference is far less now, many premium brands are really mainstream now else they wouldn’t survive. I believe this will change when we see more new to the market manufacturers that the ev market will open doors for. That was a beast of a bike you had I did have a Kawasaki Meanstreak which I think was 1300 but not a s viscous as yours

The van is so big I left the hoover in it and didn’t notice swore blind it wasn’t me.

#173609 Reply
    Ian

Agree mainstream comment and that new blood will create a new world that needs embracing!

Still have zzr tucked up in bed for winter tho.

Lost the Hoover:-)

#174413 Reply
    Matthew

Thank you for this very good summary/review. I had no idea a good 8 seater option was back on the scheme after considering and ruling out the Hyundai i800 back in 2019.  So interested am I in this vivaro I have phoned motability this morning to discuss ending my current lease early and ordering this as it’s almost perfect for my families needs. As someone else said it’s a lot of vehicle for 3k AP.  They have agreed so now it’s decision time.

The huge downside is I am being quoted 6 to 8 months bud time, and if I add on the usual delay to that leadtime then I worry that I’m still going to be into 2023 by the time i get it!  The only other problem is the lack of colour options, I know this is trivial but my current Tiguan allspace is “habanero orange” and I have somewhat got used to the funky colour 😂 and apparently (?) For.some reason the nice red that is on the spec pages isn’t available to order and it only comes in silvers,Grey’s black, white or brown, none of which appeal to me at all.  Silly I know.

#174424 Reply
    Windy
    Participant

Matthew

glad it shows you another option we did in fact order the red but delay after delay and we took a cancellation in the grey don’t regret at all as we got our electric bill today and to run the house and car is £88 per month whereas prior our diesel bill was £220 per month so colour and yes we had an orange car too had to be compromised but like I say no regrets not with the huge savings.

I also was tempted by the i800 but had to rule it out purely on the bad mpg at that time it was a great deal but it was old tech on the engine and real mpg put it in low to mid 20,s living rural it would have been unaffordable

#174445 Reply
    Gordon

Matthew

The colour of a vehicle is really important to me. I have a great car but sadly the only colour option left was silver. It’s very personal. If it meets all your requirements and at a good AP then you will probably have to bite the bullet and choose one of those colours that is the least offensive to you. I’m a fan of bright, vibrant or unusual colours and would therefore be in the same dilemma.

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
Reply To: Reply #173077 in Well this was unexpected but now drive one of the best bargains on Motability
Your information: