Well this was unexpected but now drive one of the best bargains on Motability

• Creator
    Topic
  • #172952 Reply
    Windy
    Participant

I wasn’t expecting to be in this position as I drive a car well van that most people I am sure don’t want. But now it seems with a reduced ap of £2999 has to be one of the best deals on Motability’s current list, so I want to give you an honest opinion.

so it’s the Vauxhall Vivaro e life elite which costs retail £51000 once you add a metallic colour or at least did when we got it. Make no mistake it’s a van not a car but that said it’s 5.3 metres long and can carry 8 people on quality leather seats with still plenty of room for a large chair or scooter with hoist.
    it has electric side opening doors seat massaging and heated seats they are electric adjustable but not particularly multi. Although large it’s feels narrow and easy to manoeuvre parking assisted by cameras. It has what most would consider a short range of 143 miles but in our first 4500 miles we have yet to use a public charger and just put it on charge every day as a habit, this works for us and the lowest so far was returning home with just 4 miles but no issues and I always make sure I pass chargers just in case. It has to be said she is more of a practical beast than an eye catching piece of driveway candy but I have grown very fond already wondering what we would do without such a utilitarian piece of kit.

some of the features like the upgraded headlights with auto dip etc are brilliant others like the analogue clocks and tiny gear selector are just daft. It was definitely bought to market in a hurry. Now it’s not fast but acceleration can be fun from the lights and roundabouts leaving surprise on the trailing cars but it’s no sports car. It’s more of a travelling lounge day van. Nice to sit behind the extremely dark windows with a cup of coffee and watch the world go by.

like I said at the beginning it’s probably not for many but it’s a real bargain and there are not many of those around

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #172954 Reply
    struth
    Participant

its a lot of motor for the ap.

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
    Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

#172960 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

I’m delighted to hear that you are pleased with it Windy after the problems that you had with the last van. It’s also refreshing to read a balanced review with both good and bad points highlighted.

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by Glos Guy.
    #172964 Reply
    Windy
    Participant

Well Glos Guy it was nice to be vindicated as you do feel a bit of a berk when so much is wrong, I think there is an element of disbelief but this is how we expected it to be, quite interesting all the Traveller models have been removed

#172966 Reply
    Brydo

Windy I can’t agree with you ……. I think it looks great. Yes the range isn’t great but it’s like everything in life once you get used to it, it becomes the norm.

Hope you have many great journeys in that great looking van 👍👍

#172967 Reply
    Windy
    Participant

Brydo well I do think it looks good really I should have also mentioned that so far 4500 miles at an average of 2.4 miles per kWh means using Octopus go faster our total outlay for fuel has been £103 thus far the equivalent mileage in our previous wonderful Alhambra would have been £805 that’s a lot of beer tokens.

#172973 Reply
    Brydo

That’s a real bonus windy, I can’t get my head around why many many motability customers are sticking with ICE cars, financially it makes no sense.

#172979 Reply
    Windy
    Participant

Brydo motoring is a very personal thing that each of us are the best at. When I was auto auctioneer friends relatives etc would ask for your specific opinion in which car would be most suitable in price economy value etc. you would duly spend time seeking their perfect  vehicle with the full knowledge that whatever you said would be completely ignored. It became a running joke really. So I do fully understand the reluctance for change and even though we save roughly £250 per month not one person I know, is yet to be convinced by our change to electric. Everyone finds their own way in the end for their own reason, I am just so glad we are benefiting from the change, I still find the savings incredible. But maybe that’s the point they are so great without doing your own calculations would you or I truly believe it. Long may it last that’s what I say.

#172985 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Absolutely windy, it would be a sad place to live if we all thought the same way. So in the mean time enjoy saving all that lovely dosh lol.

Ive started a thread “how good does your car look” if you still have them could you post the previous photos of your van again? It would be great to see them and to show that we all have different, needs, preferences etc.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

#172990 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

I wasn’t expecting to be in this position as I drive a car well van that most people I am sure don’t want. But now it seems with a reduced ap of £2999 has to be one of the best deals on Motability’s current list, so I want to give you an honest opinion. so it’s the Vauxhall Vivaro e life elite which costs retail £51000 once you add a metallic colour or at least did when we got it. Make no mistake it’s a van not a car but that said it’s 5.3 metres long and can carry 8 people on quality leather seats with still plenty of room for a large chair or scooter with hoist. it has electric side opening doors seat massaging and heated seats they are electric adjustable but not particularly multi. Although large it’s feels narrow and easy to manoeuvre parking assisted by cameras. It has what most would consider a short range of 143 miles but in our first 4500 miles we have yet to use a public charger and just put it on charge every day as a habit, this works for us and the lowest so far was returning home with just 4 miles but no issues and I always make sure I pass chargers just in case. It has to be said she is more of a practical beast than an eye catching piece of driveway candy but I have grown very fond already wondering what we would do without such a utilitarian piece of kit. some of the features like the upgraded headlights with auto dip etc are brilliant others like the analogue clocks and tiny gear selector are just daft. It was definitely bought to market in a hurry. Now it’s not fast but acceleration can be fun from the lights and roundabouts leaving surprise on the trailing cars but it’s no sports car. It’s more of a travelling lounge day van. Nice to sit behind the extremely dark windows with a cup of coffee and watch the world go by. like I said at the beginning it’s probably not for many but it’s a real bargain and there are not many of those around

The Combi L version at £1099 looks an absolute steal although I am sure it lacks some of the extras the Elite has.

#172993 Reply
    Windy

Fwippers from what I understand on the blogs I haven’t seen the combi but it has no sides ie just a metal van that for me would be biggest issue the rest is like you say cosmetic but the difference in retail price between the two is crazy 15 k I think whereas the Peugeot version was only about 4 k difference between the two. I reckon Vauxhall wanted to keep it within government grants at the time of build although since that all changed.

#173002 Reply
    Psuader

Windy, great post and you are spot on with that value assessment. I have felt the same and am now in a position to order. (The base model is even more bang for buck at £1099 as mentioned aby fwippers.)

As you know the Alhambra is 100% designed to satisfy the driver looking for max practicality; it’s also a decent steer. A car that feels as good as an exec saloon from the driver’s viewpoint, (great driving position, comfortable on long journeys, high spec,) yet can do small house removals when needed.

So, Alhambra diesel to Vivaro electric: I’m fascinated how it compares- can you advise?

#173008 Reply
    Windy

Psuader Ahh no it does not compare many a compromise has to be made, however as the Galaxy is still available on Motability perhaps no compromise is necessary. For us this was not an option as as good as the Alhambra was we being rural we’re finding running it or any other ICE vehicle extremely difficult and as such were only using it for essential trips and provision runs basically we needed £30 worth of diesel per week just to keep it parked outside. To use as we have already used the Vivaro we would have needed another £80 per week. So that was our reasoning and for that we knew there would be an element of compromise. I am the driver not the disabled person and therefore it would be hard to beat the comfort of the Alhambra passenger seat I think it was 12 way adjustment, my wife however finds the seat comfortable and although minor adjustments only she likes the height and feels secure. I feel that maybe a little compromise on her part. The seats do have a massage facility I could not work out why it was often on only to realise the sub woofer is also under drivers seat. Depends on your favourite music but this can also offer a massage.

space wise it’s an Alhambra and a half we couldn’t get our wheelchair in rear of Alhambra whereas this is no issue at all however it does not have electric rear door that took some  getting used too as it’s a beast of a door. I would say personally that the Alhambra drove like a good well built car . This is and drives like a Van. If I had a choice next time between this and the Alhambra then it would be this after all by then I would have saved over £5000. If on the other hand it was an electric Alhambra then no  question, although a caveat would be once you have all this space it would be hard to give up hope this helps

#173009 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

Fwippers from what I understand on the blogs I haven’t seen the combi but it has no sides ie just a metal van that for me would be biggest issue the rest is like you say cosmetic but the difference in retail price between the two is crazy 15 k I think whereas the Peugeot version was only about 4 k difference between the two. I reckon Vauxhall wanted to keep it within government grants at the time of build although since that all changed.

Just had a quick look and the Elite is the one to go for, if cost is not an issue. Really practical. I think you have bagged your self a great deal . “hiciste el agosto” as they say in Spain.

#173016 Reply
    Psuader

Thanks Windy. Most helpful indeed.

Think I’ll order the other standout bargain instead: the BMW i3 and, for those odd occasions when space is needed, an old Japanese people carrier with the fuel savings!

#173029 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

That’s a real bonus windy, I can’t get my head around why many many motability customers are sticking with ICE cars, financially it makes no sense.

Maybe as there isn’t a decent electric car on the scheme yet.

#173077 Reply
    Sue

Brydo – Well, lack of charging facilities in my case!

#173078 Reply
    Mm5

If charge was 200 plus miles and M version not L I would get it.

#173367 Reply
    Ian

I can’t stop myself looking at these on YouTube! I really like the Elite version.

Do the 2nd row chairs come as standard rather than a bench?

Rumour is larger battery is on the horizon, which would be the deal maker for us.

BMW I3s to this! Hopefully still be available in June…

#173375 Reply
    Windy

Ian the second row is identical to the 3rd row in that it’s two and one full seats so you either have to remove one single or one pair.
    they are full comfortable seats plus if you remove either row then you can fold and slide the others full length if required.

you can factory order an option of receding seats with a table we would have loved this but didn’t benefit from a factory order and it has to be as floor rails are different

larger battery is available on van but not mpv yet in U.K. but has always been on offer with Opel where it’s marketed as New Zafira with 3 body lengths and two batteries

As yet range has not been an issue which is good as next time it won’t restrict choice and I think that the larger battery would offer a further 60 miles would be perfect although a caveat would be the bigger the battery the longer to charge therefore using the cheap electricity time so by that I would still aim to use my max 5 or 6 hours at night.

things I know now that did not consider

#173379 Reply
    Ian

Very good! The two issues I have with the I3s is its size and its range. When it comes to changing time I want to address both.
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>I really like the reclining seat option with table and was playing with the Vauxhall ordering system for a 7 seater XL which I was presuming was 2 + 2+ 3 seats?</p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>I’m getting quite good at electric motoring 38000miles in. Yes fully charging from very low on a 75kw battery will drop out of cheaper overnight rates but it’s rare I would need 75, 35 to 45 should do it.</p>
    Apart from range is there anything else you don’t like about it?

Love your comment about the subwoofer massage by the way!
    <p style=”text-align: left;”></p>

#173382 Reply
    Windy

Ian yes it’s a diesel van with the engine missing but I knew that and that’s probably why we don’t call it a Zafira yet, but it will get better and it’s huge, so you either hate it and don’t buy it or you compromise and quickly learn you wouldn’t want to live without it. I feel one of the lucky latter. I do like the head up display and sat nav that’s a definate must have on next car. I would like this again with 3 or 4 years worth of technology improvements I reckon it would be fantastic, we will see I guess.

#173385 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

?

#173398 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

?

What explanation is required. There isn’t a premium electric car on the scheme yet with decent range.

#173410 Reply
    Ian

Depends on your view of a decent range and what a premium car is??

I’m sure there are lots of EV drivers who are delighted with their vehicles and the money they are saving.

Still if range is the be all and end all then enjoy your visits to the petrol station and your big fuel bill’s.

#173440 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

Depends on your view of a decent range and what a premium car is?? I’m sure there are lots of EV drivers who are delighted with their vehicles and the money they are saving. Still if range is the be all and end all then enjoy your visits to the petrol station and your big fuel bill’s.

I actually make money as my company pay me mileage so the fuel bills are irrelevant. Anyway I’m averaging 45mpg in my BMW so I wouldn’t call them big anyway and I would much rather drive what I have then any of the EV’s on the scheme. As for range, I would require it to be at least 300 miles to be practical. As for what defines a premium car, the EV’s I would class as premium are not on the scheme and I don’t expect them to be any time soon.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 50 total)
Reply To: Reply #172960 in Well this was unexpected but now drive one of the best bargains on Motability
Your information: