Waitrose Christmas Delivery slots are open!

• Creator
    Topic
  • #165360 Reply
    Georgie

Just sayin’!

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #165921 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Sorry, missed this earlier. And, yup, noticed this myself on Waitrose and, I think, Tesco. Will have to book one I suppose – do not want to risk going into supermarket at Xmas: may be there when Frosty the Bleedin’ Snowman comes over the PA and I would start killing again!

#165924 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Well, I tried! Best available slot pre-xmas week was five days before The Big Day and at a time I hate. Suspect they will be all gone by end of week. Lost for words, except, “STUPID”!

#166067 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

And it gets worse… Latest available date was 21 December. Many of the Waitrose special xmas products are “not available until 22 Dec”. Pah! What’s more, quite a few of the “ordinary” xmas items are already sold out. Ridiculous.

#166100 Reply
    Georgie

As it’s only me and ‘im, we’ve decided to just get a few bits every week and re-order what we don’t get until we either get it eventually of we don’t get it at all.  What we don’t get we don’t get, but as long as we get a few ‘special’ things we’ll be okay.  We don’t really go ‘all out’ at Christmas anyway – after 3 or 4 days of biscuits, crisps and sweeties we start feeling a bit ‘saturated’.

Would be nice if we could get a turkey, though.

#166114 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Same as here, Georgie. Our local butcher will supply all the protein staples. The rest can be got from Sainsburys or Asda. Only “special things” are fresh fruit delivered as close to xmas as poss for freshness and a couple of extra special things like Waitrose proper xmas log – the fresh-cream and dark chocolate one, not the plastic, tasteless thing. Probably miss out on this because of Waitrose nonsense booking policy. Not actually worried about xmas deliveries; just irked that in order to get some things you have to work over two months in advance. Silly.

#167025 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Booking for ASDA xmas delivery slots made available 7.18am; xmas eve fully booked by 8.15am. Get in quick if you want a delivery in pre-xmas week.

#167027 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

there are advantages to being on your own, the xmas scramble just passes me by lol.

i will get a special steak and a few odds and ends from my butcher. devilled kidneys for breakfast and a turkey leg for lunch. works out quite cheap as he has them left over from creating the turkey crowns everyone wants.

as for the rest i wont lose any sleep over it.

#167028 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Devilled kidneys for breakfast? Well, Mitch you certainly know how to live! Sounds brilliant, mate. I normally just do kidneys lightly fried in butter but have now got to try your version. Thankfully, most people do not understand what a delicacy kidneys can be and that’s fine by me. Means they stay relatively cheap and do not sell out too quickly.

#167032 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

i have to say ive always been an offal fan. as a kid my dad would hand over some of his weekly beer allowance (he worked for a brewery) to the local butcher in exchange for an assortment of heart,kidneys,liver etc a real mixed grill lol.

as you say usually as cheap as anything but delicious, calves liver with colcannon mash and thick gravy a particular fave.

xmas starts devilled kidneys and scrambled eggs with oj and coffee spiked with your favourite addative, spiced rum in my case tia maria for my sister. crusty bread for the juices.

#167033 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Oh gods, you’ve got me slavering now. Will have to pop down to butcher and get some kidneys for lunch (he keeps them for me). Liver and bacon with mash is a staple here, will do it with colcannon next time. While it ain’t offal, another overlooked dish is oxtail. Cooked very slowly the day before eating, left to cool, spoon the excess fat off the top then liquidise the cooking liquor for the best gravy ever. Just so much taste. Dead messy but that part of the fun!

#167136 Reply
    Georgie

Eugh.  I can’t stand offal.  Back when I lived with my best friend we used to feed the cats diced sheep lungs (pre-BSE) a couple of times a week.  We’d get it fresh from the Butcher’s because the shop had an abattoir out the back/the abattoir had its own Butcher’s Shop.  Whatever.  When you have c.8 cats and a tight budget, living comparatively close to an abattoir comes in handy!

We used to get fresh rabbit from there, too.  Rabbit and chestnut mushroom casserole is the biz!  Much nicer than chicken.

DH had Kangaroo tail casserole once when he was in Oz and he said it was really nice – a richer flavour than Oxtail.  Tail takes a long time to to cook, though, which is not surprising since it’s pretty much one big muscle.

Kangaroo has the best tenderloin, too, apparently.  Just in case anyone’s heading over and fancies sampling the cuisine.  🙂

#167144 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

my dad used to get rabbits and hare from the same butcher as the offal as he had a game licence, loved my dads stew but unfortunately i never got him to show me how he made it, have never managed to get it to taste the same. so if you have a family favourite recipe make sure it gets passed on write it down.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: Waitrose Christmas Delivery slots are open!
Your information: