VW issues

This topic contains 46 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Philjb 1 month ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #72698 Reply

Chris

Ok this is very long winded so I apologise in advance!!!

So we decided after many months of debate that we would order a Tiguan allspace. I called my local dealer and was told the exact car we were looking for ( 2.0 TDI match dsg 4 motion in black ) was on its way to dealership along with 2 blue and 2 silver, the dealer said to secure the car as ours we had to pay a £100 deposit to which I said ” no problem ” and was at the dealership an hour or so later and payed the full AP for it. Now when we turned up we were met by the dealer, not the one I spoke to but a young lad, no older than 20 I would say! After the formalities we walked away with a order form of the car we would be getting and so on.

Fast forward just over 2 weeks we received no confirmation by email, phone etc so I called up to see if everything was coming along to which they said ” yes ” and that was that. Now today I receive a phone call from the dealer to ask for my son’s d.o.b and national insurance number, I told them and he said he would email me the build number! So I said ” build number, why do I need that “? To which he said so I could track it being built! Now straight away I said ” why do I need to track it if it’s already built and on its way “? Instantly he said ” it hasn’t been ordered yet and it would be ready by the end of June ” or in roughly 20 weeks which is more august by my math, but anyway I asked what happened to which he gave me no answer.

So I called the original dealer I spoke too and asked what happened to the car I ordered to which he said ” it has been sold “, he apologized and said a black one with extras is on its way to another dealer and he is going to see if he could get that one for us, if not we could have a blue one by possibly the end of may ( our current car is up on the 25th may ) or wait for the black one until August or whenever.

My question is? Where exactly do I stand on this? This will be only our second car on the scheme so I’m not sure on what I can do, do I just have to swallow this and wait? The one the dealer is trying to get us has the heated seat option of £300 which I’d be unhappy about but would still pay.

If anyone has made it to the end of this small book I thank you for any advice you can offer lol.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #72699 Reply

Trev

I would be livid Chris!

You had paid a deposit to secure the car as requested, but they sell it on anyway.

May i ask what stage the motability application checker shows?

https://www.motability.co.uk/cars-scooters-and-powerchairs/application-checker/

Also, does the order form that you received state the specific car you ordered?

I'm running the Virgin London Marathon 2019 in support of MIND The Mental Health Charity

#72700 Reply

Chris

Hi Trev

The application is on accepted ( I never knew you could check to be honest ) and yes I have the order form with the confirmation of the car we ordered. I am fuming to be fair but I wasn’t sure if it was justified.

#72701 Reply

Trev

Not justified at all Chris,

You had formed a contract on behalf of motability with the dealer, to which they have broken terms on.

The order with motability would have to be changed if you accept a different car now, as they would have had to input the original vehicle details to motability on the order system. By it showing accepted it looks like they are holding out expecting you to wait for an identical build one.

My advice, is to call motability and explain the situation to them. It won’t change the outcome for you, but if you make a formal complaint to motability, they can financially penalise the dealership for breaking terms of the contract.

What they have done cannot be reversed. So you must now look at the options you have –

1. Take the black one with options if offered – although i would negotiate the extras for free or heavily discounted due to their actions. £300 is not a lot to them – and this sum + more is commonly offered as cashback deals at various VW dealerships. Did you get offered a cashback deal btw?
    2. Take the blue one – again ask for compensation in the form of cashback and/or extras.
    3. Wait for a new build
    4. Cancel, get your money back and go elsewhere as you have lost confidence in their practices, in that what’s stopping them from doing the same to you again.

I would highly recommend you place a formal complaint with motability though, as by paying a deposit you entered in to a contract with the dealer, on behalf of motability, and the dealer has broken that contract.

I'm running the Virgin London Marathon 2019 in support of MIND The Mental Health Charity

#72702 Reply

Chris

Thanks for the advice trev.

The original dealer I spoke to has said he will call me tomorrow about the possible one with the optional extras. We did get £500 off the AP but the fact they’ve put it through knowing the car was not available has really got my back up! It’s a lot of car for £995 but the lies or shielding the truth is out of order, I wonder what would of happened if I hadn’t of questioned it. I will be lodging a complaint though that’s for sure, thanks for the advice trev

#72704 Reply

JS (justsaying)

Hi Chris

i really can’t say anymore than Trev has brilliantly put, As I agree and the key thing is don’t settle for options you never agreed to, you don’t have to settle for that dealerships options, you don’t have to except it’s just the way it is. You are signing for a 3 year contract and paying a lot of money for that privilege for a private company to profit, you are intitled to order the manufacturer/make/colour/spec etc to have the vehicle that suits your needs and personal choice that is available. Don’t settle for being dismissed or pressured, I would guess it’s coming up to the end of the financial year and the dealership is trying it on to boost end of year sales, my advice is if you want the vehichle you ordered then stick with it but ask for compensation for the delay, or if the one they are offering you your happy with then pay no extra an push for even more discount, say £100 for the inconvenience, if they don’t go for it then simple say you will cancel and reorder elsewhere you have the advantage they want the sale, personally I would tell the dealership that other VW dealers are offering £600 off so you intend to cancel, unless they match it irrelevant of extras which your not willing to pay for. but let Motability know your intentions (or let them deal with it) so should the prices go up Q2 then they should honour the Q1 price should you decide to stick to your original choice.. good luck.

#72705 Reply

solent60
    Participant

I do wonder why so many Motability customers even bother with VW? Yet another tale of woe from a car  manufacturer who obviously put Motability customers second. It’s obvious that the customer above & the original poster of this thread, Chris, hasn’t got his car because VW have sold it elsewhere for a higher price. And now – if he’s lucky – he will (eventually) receive said car in August. That’s August!!! VW know full well that Motability customers will wait, given that Motability themselves will not press the dealers to speed things up, for a car of their choice when ‘Joe Public’ would never entertain a wait of month after month because it’s “only” a Volkswagen after all & Mr Joe Public would likely bugger off to another brand altogether!

How many posts have there been on this forum about VW and their shoddy treatment of Motability customers? I’ve lost count – that’s how many! Sure, I know the occasional order goes smoothly – but it seems to me that when it comes to VW and Motability, you’re always going to be treated as a second class citizen.

Chris – do yourself a big favour and tell VW to stick it where the sun don’t shine. There are dealers out there that will treat you so much better – not least (from my own experiences) Mazda, Toyota & my personal favourite dealer Citroen.

#72707 Reply

JS (justsaying)

Each to thier own!

the Forum is full of kind souls that take the time to advise and give invaluable experience and opinions (to which we all have our own) and although VW have had thier fair share of “pulling the wool”  it’s unfair to pigeon hole the manufacturer for what is clearly a dealership getting in the sale before the new financial year. It’s not just VW, alot of dealerships sell a Motability order to Joe Public to make the sale in the hope the Motability customer will wait as still got a vehichle on lease and the dealership will happily take the delay fine it gets because the extra sale and hitting targets are more important and worth more. I’m glad you’ve had good experiences with other manufacturers, as have many with VW. Trev has given great advice/options and info let’s not undermine that or change the flow of the Thread by making it a vendetta against VW and stick to helping and advising the Poster sensible.

#72710 Reply

Trev

Great add JS.

Chris,

May i just add that VW dealers have a number of ‘slots’ per period in which they can place an order with the factory. If all their ‘slots’ have been used, then they won’t be able to place another order with the factory until that period has ended.

If you were to decide on going ahead with a factory order, please ensure to ask the question to the dealer if they have the availability to place the factory order straight away, or will there be a wait?

Lastly, to ensure you are covering all options, look to see if there are other VW dealers that you are prepared to travel too, and see what stock availability they have. You can even explain your situation, so they may match the cashback offer you have and deliver you better customer service to ‘steal’ an order from a competitor.

Good Luck Chris, and please keep us updated.

#72716 Reply

ChrisK
    Participant

I can say I was had over by my KIA dealer as much as my VW dealer so out of the pan and into the fire.

As said by JS, it’s unfair to blame it on manufacturers and although the dealers should represent their marque to them its sales that count and unfortunately for Motability customers were at their mercy.

In the housing market they call “gazumping” but while Motability have the power to do something as does private and fleet buyers, we disabled folk sat at that dealers desk have none what so ever.

#72726 Reply

solent60
    Participant

ChrisK

It’s not “unfair to blame it on manufacturers themselves” as far as VW are concerned when I don’t remember any other mass car producer deliberately misleading the public with their emission figures. It seems to me both VW and their dealers need to take a good, long hard look at themselves when it comes to the people who matter most – buyers.

#72727 Reply

Chris

Well I’m gutted!!!

Had to cancel the order today because not one of the sales reps could get their story’s together, one said a 190bhp diesel was on its way and was willing to give us that at no extra charge! I was over the moon and all he needed was to check when it would be at the dealership by. I called today to be told yes I can have that one 2.0 TDI 190 dsg with heated seats bit they wanted £900 extra for it, when I said no they said they would even get one in and re spray it black for me but id still have to wait til the end of June/early July for it too which I said no.

In summary I ordered and reserved a car, payed and signed the paperwork only to be told 2 weeks later that they’d sold our car and that it was either wait until July or later or pay extra for another.

Livid is an understatement

#72728 Reply

HammerHead
    Participant

name and shame mate. report the dealer and sales persons to motability.

#72730 Reply

Chris

I did mate, motability basically apologised and said if I need any assistance from them to call. I’m waiting to speak to the VW sales manager because I need him to cancel the order or I can’t order anything else, and if I end up going to the dealership I’ll be looking at a stint behind bars. Delays I can take but outright lying to get orders and money out of people is something I just can not swallow.

#72734 Reply

Trev

Sorry here to this Chris,

Fortunately you are on the ball, otherwise it could be months down the road and you could be in the same situation you are now.

You have every right to be livid, there is no excuse to break contract by selling your car.

If the sales manager hasn’t cancelled the order by this time tomorrow i would get back in touch with motability as they can force the cancel their end through the system, but ensure you get your deposit back.

Once you get the order cancelled and deposit refunded you can move forward and forget about this dealership.

There are some fantastic ones out there, believe me, I had to cancel an order from a Skoda dealer last year and the next dealer i dealt with was in a different class altogether, honest and true to word, nothing was too much bother. I hope you find a similar dealer soon.

Good luck Chris

#72736 Reply

Mike 700
    Participant

Sorry to hear of your problems with a VW dealer, and that perhaps you will no longer get the car that you wanted.

My experience with Peter Cooper VW in Hedge End was completely opposite to yours, in that I was able to have a choice of three or four pre ordered cars with just a couple of weeks wait for delivery, with no holding deposit, and a £500 discount off the AP plus a discount off the options ordered .

Their service was first class, and I would recommend them every time, and also, the Tiguan is an excellent car, and fully recommended, and I have been used to driving fully equipped XC Volvo’s for the past 14-15 years!

Hope it all works out for you!

#72739 Reply

Trev

Love posts like that Mike, especially when i can relate to the area – got our cats from the Blue Cross down that way and spent many hours in the retail parks down there, avoiding the weekends for the traffic though lol

#72743 Reply

Robert

If only everything in life was as reliable as a VW dealer.

#72746 Reply

Chris

I just can’t understand their logic in all of this! And to top it all off the dealer offered to get a spec in I want regardless of colour and……. Wait for it…………

Respray the car black which in my estimation would cost 2-3 grand, they could give me the 190 model and save money but no no no!!!!!

It’s quite comical really. Anyhow the sales manager is meant to be calling me tomorrow ( which won’t happen ) to confirm my cancellation, or what will actually happen is I will phone myself and be fed a load of empty promises and promises of riches of which I could only dream of.

#72747 Reply

fwipperie
    Participant

A nice McDonald’s near Peter Cooper in Hedge End. Good to let others know of  A VW dealer able to supply cars from “stock” in a few weeks. If I had known may have tried a Tiguan out.

#72750 Reply

Chris

Hi Mike

Was it an allspace or standard Tiguan you ordered? Only reason I ask is my dealer told me that there is not a single allspace in the country available right now

#72751 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

I just can’t understand their logic in all of this! And to top it all off the dealer offered to get a spec in I want regardless of colour and……. Wait for it………… Respray the car black which in my estimation would cost 2-3 grand, they could give me the 190 model and save money but no no no!!!!! It’s quite comical really. Anyhow the sales manager is meant to be calling me tomorrow ( which won’t happen ) to confirm my cancellation, or what will actually happen is I will phone myself and be fed a load of empty promises and promises of riches of which I could only dream of.

Respraying the car in a different colour would seriously affect the car residual value, I cannot see Mobility Operations agreeing with that.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#72755 Reply

Chris

Of course they wouldn’t agree to it, and neither did I as that’s a ludicrous statement for the young sales rep to make. Boy am I going to have some fun telling his gaffer about all the stories I’ve been told

#72759 Reply

Jason Lee

A dealership offered to respray the car a different colour? That’s a new one on me and is utter, utter bullsh1t!

#72761 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

Just make sure that all your money goes back into your account tomorrow, no reason that it can’t be sent instantly via faster payment straight away, don’t let them fob you off with stories about nobody in admin right now etc!

#72773 Reply

HammerHead
    Participant

Was it an allspace or standard Tiguan you ordered? Only reason I ask is my dealer told me that there is not a single allspace in the country available right now

Well that sheds light on why the Tiguan Allspace Match has disappeared off the VW website configurator tool!

VW must be the shadiest Manufacturer around at the moment chopping and changing and whatnot and I suspect the dealerships are basically shrugging their shoulders in a ‘what the hell can I do about it’ attitude.

Which to be fair, they are at the mercy of their masters but still no excuse for dishonesty.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
Reply To: VW issues

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: