VW ID 4 on the scheme!

• Creator
    Topic
  • #156947 Reply
    TheSUVGuy

A nice addition to the scheme, feels like sky sports dead line day 😂

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #157300 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

I can think of a couple of members here alone that have recently seen their AP fall by ridiculous amounts shortly after purchase. The Kona EV guy and the ID3 example in this thread. It puts me off buying anything EV wise on the scheme for the first quarter. I can’t work out what the plan is with these initially inflated AP’s. Surely they know when negotiating pricing that it will be X amount next quarter, kinda feels like a tax on those needing the vehicle most.

I agree. I think you can add the Kia Soul to that list if I’m not mistaken? I think we all have to live with movements of a few hundred pounds, but when it’s thousands that’s heartbreaking, especially as the motivation for getting an EV for many people seems to be running costs, of which AP’s are an integral part. When I used to have company cars from another major fleet provider, I’m sure that the prices only changed once a year. I don’t ever recall people complaining about price changes, whereas it’s a constant issue for Motability customers.

#157301 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

Like many things in life we have to take a view on these things. If I paid 4500 I would know there is a reasonable chance of a large price drop as was the case with the Kona, if I had paid 999 then the probability of a significant drop in price would be much lower. If past history tells us anything it suggests, on the balance of probability, the ID4 AP´s will be lower next Q whilst the ID3 and Kona very similar to this Q. However, nothing is certain.

#157302 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

Like many things in life we have to take a view on these things. If I paid 4500 I would know there is a reasonable chance of a large price drop as was the case with the Kona, if I had paid 999 then the probability of a significant drop in price would be much lower. If past history tells us anything it suggests, on the balance of probability, the ID4 AP´s will be lower next Q whilst the ID3 and Kona very similar to this Q. However, nothing is certain.

Spot on, my Kona was £2650, but they did an offer of £2000 reduction, so I didn’t lose out too much, in the end though, if you want the car and are happy with the AP, then you’re happy.  Yes, it’s annoying when the price drops massively, but equally, it could, as many have found go the other way, oddly people are never unhappy then!  I did forecast on the other thread that the ID.4 will drop in AP next quarter, will be an interesting few years I think.

Previous Motability Cars
    2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
    2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
    2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
    2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
    2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury
    2021- Hyundai Kona Electric Premium SE

#157305 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Yes, it’s annoying when the price drops massively, but equally, it could, as many have found go the other way, oddly people are never unhappy then!.

Those who have already ordered may breath a sigh of relief when prices go up, but those who were considering the car, or couldn’t order before the price rise, will clearly be unhappy.

As an aside, one thing that really irritates me each quarter change is when some people post gloating that that they ordered before a price rise. I take the opposite view. I think it’s sad when cars suddenly become out of reach for customers who would have liked one. There are quite a few members of this forum who struggle to raise even modest AP’s and I really feel for them when this happens.

#157316 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

Out of interest, why’s the Mustang Mach E so unlikely to join the scheme?

Starting price is the issue, over 40k, if they sold one for 25k (perhaps without the batteries) then were others models in the range up to the 40k plus figure there would be a chance.

The low powered Mach E is £41k – the XC40 Insc. Pro is £43k. 3008 Hybrid 225 is £42k, the Hybrid4 300 is £45k.

I understand what you mean, but there’s no trim packages for the Mach E – it’s £41k for the top trim version (just with smaller engine/range).

As i said, i don’t actually care that much, even if it were eligible, i personally wouldn’t care whether or not it was on the scheme – i just find the argument against it superficial at best. I understand that it has a somewhat high base price, but that base price is lower than quite a few cars already on the scheme and is also the “top trim” version.

I just find it weird that “base price” is the issue when there’s more expensive vehicles on the scheme, considering the “base price” is also the “highest trim price”. In fact the Hybrid4 300 isn’t even highest trim, still £45k and on the scheme.

That said.. Don’t care. Was just curious, since i’ve seen multiple times people reacting to a Mach E being mentioned.

Current: SEAT Ateca Xcellence Lux 1.5 TSI DSG MY19
    On Order: VW Golf GTE PHEV DSG MY23

#157317 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

So you do understand, good . An expensive car can be on the Scheme as long as it does not necessarily look expensive. If it undoubtedly looks expensive, because it is expensive then it cannot be on the Scheme.

#157318 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Rene – Motability have a daft rule that any car that appears on the scheme must have a version that comes under their arbitrary price caps. I can’t remember exactly what they are now (and I think they’ve gone up a tiny bit since they were introduced) but they are quite low.

Let’s say that, for example, they are £29k for manual cars and £30.5k for autos (which, I think, is what they were when introduced). Because cars such as the Peugeot 3008 and Volvo XC40 have entry level cars that are under these price points, higher level (and higher cost) versions can appear on the scheme, even up to the mid £40k’s as you have spotted. If, however, the Mustang starts at £41k then it doesn’t qualify to join the scheme, as there is no entry level variant below the price cap. Daft, I know, but that’s the policy.

I fear that this policy is a legacy issue that has its roots in the Daily Mail issue, when that newspaper published an entirely false article stating that ‘Disabled customers were getting free luxury cars paid for by the tax payer’. Rather than stand up for disabled drivers and correct the rubbish that was published, Motability rolled over and applied restrictions that massively reduced choice. That’s a major factor in why we now have well under half the number of cars on the scheme that we used to have. It’s all about perception. Anyone seeing a Peugeot 3008 won’t think ‘that’s a Motability car and it costs £45k’. Unless they have an intimate knowledge of the car and detailed prices they will think it’s a circa £25k car. Whereas if a Mustang were to be on the scheme, some people might say ‘that’s a flash car for a Motability car. They start at over £40k’!

#157321 Reply
    file28
    Participant

The above will explain why we have a £37,000 car on the scheme because of the entry level costs of the Ateca

"the world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams-its heaven and hell "(RJD)
    Seat Ateca FR Black Edition 2.0tsi 190 dsg 4drive Nevada White

#157323 Reply
    Ian Rodgers

All these arbitrary applications of the rules are really frustrating. My wife’s car is due for renewal and would like the Hyundai Tucson. Unfortunately one of her criteria is that she wants a 360 camera which is only available on the Ultimate edition and is not available as an option. I cant understand why it can’t be available, as the power is the same as variations that are already on the scheme. And the cost is well below a lot of cars that are on the scheme.

#157324 Reply
    file28
    Participant

All these arbitrary applications of the rules are really frustrating. My wife’s car is due for renewal and would like the Hyundai Tucson. Unfortunately one of her criteria is that she wants a 360 camera which is only available on the Ultimate edition and is not available as an option. I cant understand why it can’t be available, as the power is the same as variations that are already on the scheme. And the cost is well below a lot of cars that are on the scheme.

The ultimate is on the scheme 

"the world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams-its heaven and hell "(RJD)
    Seat Ateca FR Black Edition 2.0tsi 190 dsg 4drive Nevada White

#157336 Reply
    Ianfca

File28 sorry I should have mentioned we need an automatic. The fact that the manual version is available makes it even more frustrating.

#157340 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

File28 sorry I should have mentioned we need an automatic. The fact that the manual version is available makes it even more frustrating.

Given that Motability is supposedly all about keeping disabled people mobile, many of whom need autos, I have always felt that any car that makes it on to the scheme as a manual should also be available in auto form. This is a good example of where the scheme fails to deliver on its objectives.

#157341 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

Rene – Motability have a daft rule that any car that appears on the scheme must have a version that comes under their arbitrary price caps. I can’t remember exactly what they are now (and I think they’ve gone up a tiny bit since they were introduced) but they are quite low. Let’s say that, for example, they are £29k for manual cars and £30.5k for autos (which, I think, is what they were when introduced). Because cars such as the Peugeot 3008 and Volvo XC40 have entry level cars that are under these price points, higher level (and higher cost) versions can appear on the scheme, even up to the mid £40k’s as you have spotted. If, however, the Mustang starts at £41k then it doesn’t qualify to join the scheme, as there is no entry level variant below the price cap. Daft, I know, but that’s the policy. I fear that this policy is a legacy issue that has its roots in the Daily Mail issue, when that newspaper published an entirely false article stating that ‘Disabled customers were getting free luxury cars paid for by the tax payer’. Rather than stand up for disabled drivers and correct the rubbish that was published, Motability rolled over and applied restrictions that massively reduced choice. That’s a major factor in why we now have well under half the number of cars on the scheme that we used to have. It’s all about perception. Anyone seeing a Peugeot 3008 won’t think ‘that’s a Motability car and it costs £45k’. Unless they have an intimate knowledge of the car and detailed prices they will think it’s a circa £25k car. Whereas if a Mustang were to be on the scheme, some people might say ‘that’s a flash car for a Motability car. They start at over £40k’!

Yeah, i remember that clustertruck, though at the time we weren’t customers on the scheme.

I mean.. yeah, that’s pretty daft. Again, not particularly a problem in this case since, well, it’s a Mach E that i very much don’t care about, but in general.. pretty stupid.

Glad there’s a “low price” (well..) version of the Enyaq, cough.

And, as an entirely unrelated note: screw the Daily Mail. Such a cancerous piece of media.

#157346 Reply
    joelfletch
    Participant

Volkswagen have finally released the Q3 brochure and there are 6 ID4 models. Huge APs!

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/idhub/content/dam/onehub_pkw/importers/gb/downloads/pricelists/motability-price-guide.pdf

• This reply was modified 12 months ago by joelfletch. Reason: Spelling
    #157349 Reply
    Logiejames
    Participant

screw the Daily Mail. Such a cancerous piece of media.

come on now, I know cancer is a HORRIBLE illness that needs to die in a fire, but to accuse it of being as bad as the novelty toilet paper that is the Mail is a bit unfair to it don’t you think? 😛

Keeping with the proper discussion, I find the whole what can and cannot be on the scheme kind of ridiculous to be honest. The Mach-E should be on the scheme for a pure practically point of view, its easy to get into, it’s boot will take a wheelchair, and with the seats down it’ll even take a full on recumbant trike and cos it has a reasonable large (especially without the divider) froot/frunk under the bonnet you’d still have space for other stuff.

After speaking to a Kia/Hyundai salesman yesterday he is doubtful the Ioniq 5 nor EV6 will ever come on for the exact same cost reasons. Which I’m hoping he is wrong on that one too.

With the ID4, I actually prefer the looks (externally at least) of it’s smaller sister the ID3. Though its not as practical from a space perspective. But both of them have suprisingly cheap feeling and costcutting interiors. The lack of seperate rear window buttons is just daft for example.

The problem with the ID4 as well is that only the most basic models are, currently, on the scheme and you’d have to spend a fortune to get the various packs to add things that make driving easier and less stressful. If the higher spec models come on it won’t be so bad as they have most of the bits and pieces as standard.

The Soul from Kia ticks pretty much every box bar 3,  (1) it has quite a small boot, (2) does not have memory seats and (3) doesn’t have front parking sensors. I realise thats a bit poncy from an outside perspective but with the memory seats it means my partner and I can easily swap who is driving without me then having to spend half my bloody day trying to remember and work out exactly how I had the seat and the front sensors just make me less worried I’m going to hit something when parking. Have I ever done so? No. Do I get overly anxious about it all the goddamn time? Damn right -_-….

I was also informed you can’t get the blue soul anymore and that Kia are basically running down existing stock. Saleman assumes they will then stop doing the first edition and go to more standard 2, 3 , 4 model naming and spec differentation like the other Kia cars.

The Kona is better in that regard, but I personally don’t like the design as much. I am aware that the Soul is proper marmite though haha.

Hopefully the Enyaq will come on, though I imagine it’ll have a similar spec issue to the ID4 with option packs and thus eye watering additonal costs.

I guess I’m just gonna wait things out a bit longer :/. I’m on year 1 of a 2 year extention of my Galaxy at the moment – great car, so very easy to get in and out of and cavenous boot, but I get crap mileage out of it as it’s a diesel and most of my journeys are very short ones (2-5mile round trips) :(.

Apologies to anyone who made it this far for my digital equivlant of verbal diarrhea X_X, but also thank you.

#157350 Reply
    Brydo

#157351 Reply
    Brydo

Huge APs but at least we have a choice.

#157353 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

Keeping with the proper discussion, I find the whole what can and cannot be on the scheme kind of ridiculous to be honest. The Mach-E should be on the scheme for a pure practically point of view, its easy to get into, it’s boot will take a wheelchair, and with the seats down it’ll even take a full on recumbant trike and cos it has a reasonable large (especially without the divider) froot/frunk under the bonnet you’d still have space for other stuff. After speaking to a Kia/Hyundai salesman yesterday he is doubtful the Ioniq 5 nor EV6 will ever come on for the exact same cost reasons. Which I’m hoping he is wrong on that one too. With the ID4, I actually prefer the looks (externally at least) of it’s smaller sister the ID3. Though its not as practical from a space perspective. But both of them have suprisingly cheap feeling and costcutting interiors. The lack of seperate rear window buttons is just daft for example. The problem with the ID4 as well is that only the most basic models are, currently, on the scheme and you’d have to spend a fortune to get the various packs to add things that make driving easier and less stressful. If the higher spec models come on it won’t be so bad as they have most of the bits and pieces as standard. The Soul from Kia ticks pretty much every box bar 3, (1) it has quite a small boot, (2) does not have memory seats and (3) doesn’t have front parking sensors. I realise thats a bit poncy from an outside perspective but with the memory seats it means my partner and I can easily swap who is driving without me then having to spend half my bloody day trying to remember and work out exactly how I had the seat and the front sensors just make me less worried I’m going to hit something when parking. Have I ever done so? No. Do I get overly anxious about it all the goddamn time? Damn right -_-…. I was also informed you can’t get the blue soul anymore and that Kia are basically running down existing stock. Saleman assumes they will then stop doing the first edition and go to more standard 2, 3 , 4 model naming and spec differentation like the other Kia cars. The Kona is better in that regard, but I personally don’t like the design as much. I am aware that the Soul is proper marmite though haha. Hopefully the Enyaq will come on, though I imagine it’ll have a similar spec issue to the ID4 with option packs and thus eye watering additonal costs. I guess I’m just gonna wait things out a bit longer :/. I’m on year 1 of a 2 year extention of my Galaxy at the moment – great car, so very easy to get in and out of and cavenous boot, but I get crap mileage out of it as it’s a diesel and most of my journeys are very short ones (2-5mile round trips) :(. Apologies to anyone who made it this far for my digital equivlant of verbal diarrhea X_X, but also thank you.

Both ID3 and ID4 feel rather cheap inside, i agree – as well as that absolutely stupendous solution to the rear windows, no idea what’s wrong with having four levers for the windows rather than two and a switch for front and rear. The Enyaq (also MEB platform) as well as the Q4 e-tron (same platform) don’t have that issue, and in case of the Enyaq (i haven’t seen the Q4 in person yet) the interior is much nicer, too.

Even with the now available higher spec ID4 (Family), it doesn’t feel like a 45 grand car.

#157355 Reply
    Allan

I agree with you the Ford Mustang Mach E should be on the scheme so should the AUDI Q3 sportback like the coupe version of it as most of the cars on the scheme aren’t even as practical as the ones everyone wants but they don’t seem to listen or care tbh so what can we do absolutely nothing

#157357 Reply
    Rowls1958

<p style=”text-align: center;”>Why would the Hyundai Ionic 5 not come on the scheme, it’s starting list price is £36,950. Decent spec for this base model as well…….</p>

#157358 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: center;”>Why would the Hyundai Ionic 5 not come on the scheme, it’s starting list price is £36,950. Decent spec for this base model as well…….</p>

Because it classifies as a different model to the other Ionic variants and therefore the starting price places it above the price caps (see my post at 7.31am for fuller explanation).

#157390 Reply
    Ian price

It would seem that motability make their own rules. Was there not a cap for AP? Where did that go with some of the APs we are seeing. Same with BHP limits. So why have a cap, when it is not being adhered to.

#157394 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

We’re seeing a warping of what’s available in terms of EVs here, if an EV model is also made with fossil engines then it is available, if it’s a pure EV then it is only on the scheme if the cheapest version is under the threshold. As manufacturers release EV only models (Ioniq 5, Tesla Model 3, etc.,) we will have to wait longer for the batteries to get cheaper than we would if there was a fossil version (Pug e2008 etc).

Motability is in effect protecting fossil manufacturers over EV manufacturers, wonder if they get a backhander in return from the likes of BP.

#157467 Reply
    Rowls1958

What actually is the price threshold for the base version of a car ?

#157470 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

i am sorry but there is no way i am paying 8k on top of my 60 0dd quid a week to get a car.

and nothing about the id 4 even comes close to making me even consider it.

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
Reply To: VW ID 4 on the scheme!
Your information: