VW Golf 8 R-Line Delay?

• Creator
    Topic
  • #138446 Reply
    RedPanda
    Participant

Hi guys,

First time poster, long term Motability customer.

Ordered my shiny new Golf 8 1.5 eTSI R-Line back in December ’20 and I got a call today from my dealer to say there’s now a delay in production of car meaning I’ve got an unconfirmed build date sometime in April.

I was originally due to change-over on 1st March so rather frustrated I now potentially have to wait until May to get the car. What’s more frustrating is that, nothing is confirmed so this may be later, earlier or as expected – the clarity here is dysfunctional.

I never had this issue with my last three Ford vehicles or my latest Kia. I contacted VW customer service who advised that the dealer should have quoted a 19-week timeframe as opposed to ensuring me the car would be ready for my usual hand-over date.

I just wanted to know if anyone has had a similar experience? Could this be an overestimation? I read a post back in 2019 with a similar position to me but nothing as of recent.

Thanks!

Ford Mondeo Titanium X - Ford Focus Zetec - Ford Fiesta Titanium X - KIA ProCeed GT Line S - VW Golf 8 R-Line

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 156 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #141539 Reply
    Harry

Hey Daniel yeah i agree the R-Line with the upgraded alloys looks way better. Im fighting with myself just now on whether to cancel the Leon or not and go with it. Only thing stopping me is the 2k it would cost to get it the same specs as the FR Sport. Got 4 weeks to decide as see prices going up next month as the Golf n Leon are so cheap right now.

#141542 Reply
    Markw
    Participant

The Golf is a quality car with excellent engine and DSG,  and its reasonable AP too,  Downside is the options list is pretty much standard on every vehicle at the same price,  900 quid for LED lights,  come on lol

Currently driving Seat Ateca 2.0 FR Sport TDI 190 DSG 4drive

#141548 Reply
    RedPanda
    Participant

How’s it going, I’ve ordered the rline in moonstone grey also but only a few days ago on 27.02.2021 I was told 10 weeks as estimated time start of may, after looking on here I got myself abit worried because I wouldn’t be willing to wait as long as some of you have been told you’re now going to be. So I have email my dealer and asked if the lead time is in fact true and also contacted vw uk and asked what the lead time was and they told me that if the dealer has said 10 weeks I would go with that as they can’t see any issues with the rline currently. maybe I got lucky or I’m being fed what I want to hear so I don’t cancel? Who knows only time will tell lol

Hi Daniel,

I actually followed up on this thread with another thread when Q1 2021 pricing came into effect – the AP dropped to £400 from £999!

Long story short, the dealer spoke with Germany who offered to drop my existing order to the new £400 or offer me an “upgrade” to a new order I could get next month (March) as it was already scheduled to be built – same car, alloys (Bergamo), colour and spec just with the rear-view camera and heated seats for £25 less than what I was paying before the AP drop.

Ford Mondeo Titanium X - Ford Focus Zetec - Ford Fiesta Titanium X - KIA ProCeed GT Line S - VW Golf 8 R-Line

#141550 Reply
    RedPanda
    Participant

The Golf is a quality car with excellent engine and DSG, and its reasonable AP too, Downside is the options list is pretty much standard on every vehicle at the same price, 900 quid for LED lights, come on lol

The worst bit is though, the spec down from the R-Line comes with the LED pack as standard, you’d think their sportiest looking spec would get a decent set of headlights to show off the look – if they can offer it on the “techier” spec then why not their better looking spec?

I paid £900 AP on my Kia ProC’eed GT Line S and that came with a tonne of extras like a sunroof, heated seats and steering wheel and even Xenon headlights with auto adjustment!

#141563 Reply
    Daniel

Nice! I’ve just spoke to my dealer and added the 18” and the adaptive cruise control. wasn’t too sure if I wanted the wheels but couldn’t help myself after reading you also went for them 😂

probably should stop adding stuff now as will just delay it more!

update us with some pics when you finally get your car mate!!

he also assured me 18 weeks is definetly the worse case and realistically looking at 12-14 so hopefully that’s the case! Free car matts and full tank was thrown in to to sweeten the deal after a lot of hard balling with him, definitely worth trying get as much as you can haha

#141564 Reply
    Daniel

@redpanda

wow that’s a great deal I’ll have a look at the new thread!

also I’m pretty sure the rline does come with led headlights? Just not the

led upgrade as on my order form it says ;

LED headlights incorporating turn signals

And also ;

LED daytime running lights

#141566 Reply
    RedPanda
    Participant

@redpanda wow that’s a great deal I’ll have a look at the new thread! also I’m pretty sure the rline does come with led headlights? Just not the led upgrade as on my order form it says ; LED headlights incorporating turn signals And also ; LED daytime running lights

Oh my bad, maybe I’ve misinterpreted it but you’re right, the standard equipment list does state:

“LED headlamps, turn signal with light bulb, LED Reading lights,front x2”

Hold my hands up haha!

#141567 Reply
    RedPanda
    Participant

Nice! I’ve just spoke to my dealer and added the 18” and the adaptive cruise control. wasn’t too sure if I wanted the wheels but couldn’t help myself after reading you also went for them 😂 probably should stop adding stuff now as will just delay it more! update us with some pics when you finally get your car mate!! he also assured me 18 weeks is definetly the worse case and realistically looking at 12-14 so hopefully that’s the case! Free car matts and full tank was thrown in to to sweeten the deal after a lot of hard balling with him, definitely worth trying get as much as you can haha

Personally, on the R-Line, the 18″ upgrade is a must but they’re rather pricey imo for the money – I did love the look with them so thought, why not?

I was going to ask my dealer about Car Mats but I think considering he went the extra mile for me, I don’t think I’m going to get these thrown in lmao! I’ll ask him and find out though, good shout on that!

Although, I’m a little confused – according to the standard feature list Adaptive Cruise Control comes as standard – how come you needed to add this on?

#141568 Reply
    Daniel

Worth an ask!

Ahh does it? I didn’t realise it did tbh! So probably a blunder to add it but comes with lane assist and the emergency assist which will be handy when the other half takes it out 😂

it’s only £160 so decided was worth it but didn’t realise it had acc already but annoyed at myself now haha

#141569 Reply
    RedPanda
    Participant

Worth an ask! Ahh does it? I didn’t realise it did tbh! So probably a blunder to add it but comes with lane assist and the emergency assist which will be handy when the other half takes it out 😂 it’s only £160 so decided was worth it but didn’t realise it had acc already but annoyed at myself now haha

To be honest, if you wanted the lane assist you may need to pay the extra. I know that VW will reduce the price slightly, if I’m right, if you have one of the extras in the pack which is nice.

It’s still bizarre to me they throw in a heated steering wheel but not seats. With my new order, i get the Winter Pack so i get the additional heated screen wash sprayers too.

#141595 Reply
    Monkeytennis
    Participant

Strange how VAG group dealers in particular always talk up production issues to motobility customers in particular but never mention how sales demand has dropped upto 40% and worse since 1959, has there production also gone back to 1959 capability?

I trying to get anything built and always feel either they are lying about having reasonable slots and lead times or saving them for more valuable customers. Stock cars are always way over specced and really high AP

#141613 Reply
    Daniel

Just checked the standard features and does have lane assist too fml lol

so essentially paid £160 traffic jam assist 😩 should of checked that first lmao that will teach me and don’t want to amend it now just resigned the order form

yeah I was tempted to add the winter pack but think the steering wheel is enough for me probably regret that too tho when it comes back into winter lol

#142994 Reply
    Zak

Hi All, just received an email from Johnson’s VW to advised my ordered vehicle has been delayed… again. It was advised that it had received a build week 9… this has now been pushed back to week 18!! Extremely disappointed if I’m honest, has anyone else who has ordered the Golf 8 experienced delays or had there build dates pushed back?

#143000 Reply
    Chris
    Participant

Yup

We ordered a allspace 2 years back and was quoted 9 weeks for it.

They received it in 5 and sold it and tried to offer me a normal tiguan instead. Seems they are still up to their usual VW games.

#143016 Reply
    Allan fisher

do you think the the golf 8 r line Will still be around the same price for the 1.5 DSG after April thanks

#143152 Reply
    LDC7080

What are the rules now for when you can order your next vehicle.  the motability website still shows the what to do 3 months before tosh  but my experience now seems to suggest that manufacturers need 16-20 lead time for a new vehicle.

#143155 Reply
    Phaedra
    Participant

I think it’s still 3 months but there’s nothing to stop you asking earlier if you find something you like 🙂

And of course if it’s delayed you still keep your existing car until it arrives.

There's room for all God's creatures, right next to the mash and gravy 🙂

#143158 Reply
    Kevin

Still the same order 3 months before end of contract, make sure you get current vehicles M.O.T done inside the 2 months to go ( this is when the good condition is also checked),so any issues can be corrected, that means any work needed on car ( if not your fault ) can be done inside the 3 year warranty,so no cost to Motability, these cars can be registered a couple of weeks before collection,so time in month 2 crucial as it gives that time under warranty for repairs if needed, if car not ready in time on change date,you just keep your current car till it arrives the AP will remain the same,that is what matters

#143265 Reply
    Harry

I thought it was the dealer you hand back to reports on the condition of the car?

#143268 Reply
    Kevin

The dealer checks around body work,just in case any damage done after M.O.T visit, and notes the miles at handover,that’s all they do , a bit late to check properly after you have driven off the forecourt

#143272 Reply
    Kevin

Just to finish off Harry

It would appear that once the mot and good condition are done at the same time,as soon as they know the new car has arrived for you they have a special website where dealers can buy or bid to purchase for stock, so can be sold by the time you go to dealer for handover and is picked up by the other dealer in the next day or so,so good condition is needed,i always make sure my car is nice and clean before MOT cant do any harm.

#143527 Reply
    Sulei

Saw this thread a few days ago and just had a feeling…..

Got the call today. Golf has been delayed and they cannot give me a build slot what so ever. The dealer said it could be 3 months of 6 even longer.

He gave me the option to cancel or offered me a VW Tiguan R Line in night shade blue which is already at the dealers. Which I was going to view tomorrow but I will sleep on it. Not sure what to do now.

Might wait till Q2 which is not that far away.

#143565 Reply
    Zak

Hi Sulei, What is the AP on the Tiguan? Are the dealers willing to give a special AP to cover the fact the ordered vehicle is taking so long? I am currently in the same situation… order placed January 2021… current collection date is scheduled June 2021.

#143592 Reply
    Sulei

(reply to Zak

Hi Sulei, What is the AP on the Tiguan? Are the dealers willing to give a special AP to cover the fact the ordered vehicle is taking so long? I am currently in the same situation… order placed January 2021… current collection date is scheduled June 2021.)

Hi Zak, I remember our last conversation before on this thread as we both were eager to get it sooner 😛. I was very disappointed to get the call but i had a feeling I would as well after you mentioned that you did.

The AP was 2,499 on the Tiguan although a bit on the high side the car was lovely in the interior but there was just something about the Night shade blue I did not like and just couldn’t part with that kind of money for a car I may get used to lol. The Dealer said if I ordered a Tiguan in the colour I like it could take another 3 to 4 months even longer 😔

As my dealer couldn’t give me a build slot I explained to him that I will wait until Q2 next week and see what other cars are on offer then make my decision.

Just out of curiosity did you have a back up car if things didn’t/don’t go to plan with the golf?

#143594 Reply
    Zak

Hi Sulei, i agree it is definitely disappointing. My back up car was the Seat Ateca 1.5 FR Sport however I just got off the phone around 30mins ago with a local Seat dealer… they said a new order from factory is looking at a Q4 delivery if I want the 1.5 engine maybe sooner if I didn’t mind taking a diesel which is crazy! Because of that I’m most likely going to stay with the Golf 8 as I think regardless I am going to have to wait a while for any new order vehicle however I’m definitely going to take a look next week at the new prices to see if anything new has been added. My current Seat Leon has been extended for another 6 months so hopefully I can collect a new car before then. Keep me updated with how you get on.

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 156 total)
Reply To: VW Golf 8 R-Line Delay?
Your information: