VW Golf 8 R-Line Delay?

• Creator
    Topic
  • #138446 Reply
    RedPanda
    Participant

Hi guys,

First time poster, long term Motability customer.

Ordered my shiny new Golf 8 1.5 eTSI R-Line back in December ’20 and I got a call today from my dealer to say there’s now a delay in production of car meaning I’ve got an unconfirmed build date sometime in April.

I was originally due to change-over on 1st March so rather frustrated I now potentially have to wait until May to get the car. What’s more frustrating is that, nothing is confirmed so this may be later, earlier or as expected – the clarity here is dysfunctional.

I never had this issue with my last three Ford vehicles or my latest Kia. I contacted VW customer service who advised that the dealer should have quoted a 19-week timeframe as opposed to ensuring me the car would be ready for my usual hand-over date.

I just wanted to know if anyone has had a similar experience? Could this be an overestimation? I read a post back in 2019 with a similar position to me but nothing as of recent.

Thanks!

Ford Mondeo Titanium X - Ford Focus Zetec - Ford Fiesta Titanium X - KIA ProCeed GT Line S - VW Golf 8 R-Line

Viewing 25 replies - 226 through 250 (of 266 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #169470 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

@joss

It is indeed me, all god Rene.

😉 😛

Current: SEAT Ateca Xcellence Lux 1.5 TSI DSG MY19
    On Order: VW Golf GTE PHEV DSG MY22

#169491 Reply
    Sarah

Rene you are so knowledgeable! Haha

Gemma I’m in the same boat as you, ordered early march, and probably looking like march before il see it, super disheartening but we will just have to wait I suppose

#169541 Reply
    John Lawton

Good Afternoon to you all.

Just another update from my dealer about the order I placed back on January (Golf 8 R Line ETSI 1.5)!! NO UPDATE!! It’s not funny anymore, car will be due another MOT soon…!

I can’t believe no-one is being compensated for this.

#169545 Reply
    Rene

Oof.

Here’s me hoping that a GTE gets built quicker than an R-Line, i’d like to drive it next year somewhere before september. 🙁

#169558 Reply
    joss

The latest news on the delays for Motability is …__ radio silence

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#169577 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

#169626 Reply
    Ta152

John,

Shockingly dissapointed for you, did your salesperson give you any explanation? VW are still building cars so I wonder just who are getting those build. Does anyone know if certain specs are getting build quicker than others not just VW but other manufacturers also?

#169731 Reply
    John Lawton

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Ta152,</p>
    It’s been nothing more than a ‘ShitShow’ with regards to my order!! VW representative has given up the will to live. I feel a bit sorry for him as he is awaiting 70 R-Lines on the Motability Scheme. I still don’t understand that car manufacturers hadn’t got a bulk supply of these Semi-Conductor chips?! The thing that annoys me the most is that none of us are being compensated?!!

#169735 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

I don’t know about the Golf but having a VW Tiguan on order I know the delivery dates given from my dealer is an honest date from their point of view.

I’ve been given 6 to 7 months and know non Motability customers are being given the same time scales and those dates seem to right though there are some exceptions that I would put down to added extra’s where those extra’s involve extra chips.

I’ve seen a statement from VW last week that there expecting the chip problem to easy early in the new year but they have a lot of back orders to clear so delivery time will not get back to anything normal until the last few months on 2022.

Don’t know what the problem is with John’s order, something is a miss there but just wonder what non Motability customers are saying for their deliveries in the Golf user forums but we can’t blame the dealer too much unless were being gazumped and that’s a great worry if we are.

#169737 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

Just did a quick check on a Golk Mk8 user site and they seem to think currently the waiting time is 40 + weeks.

#169741 Reply
    Ree

I ordered back in June 2021 build week was moved 3 times ( Aug , Sept , late November) I was then told build week 12 2022 and now I’ve just been told there is no build week at all at the current moment…. It’s becoming a joke now

#169743 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Ta152,</p> It’s been nothing more than a ‘ShitShow’ with regards to my order!! VW representative has given up the will to live. I feel a bit sorry for him as he is awaiting 70 R-Lines on the Motability Scheme. I still don’t understand that car manufacturers hadn’t got a bulk supply of these Semi-Conductor chips?! The thing that annoys me the most is that none of us are being compensated?!!

Do you have a bulk order of floor mops at home? Same situation. You usually buy it when you need it, so do car manufacturers that don’t have a fixed output. A normal factory produces “as much stuff” as it can, so it makes sense to stock the parts for it.

A car factory doesn’t, they build to order. And like most “build to order” stuff, they buy whatever they need when they need it, and it has worked decades that way. You can’t just “bulk order chips”, you can’t just throw them in a container and let them sit there until you need them – they have a shelf life and particular storage requirements, all adding to the bill. I absolutely understand why they work the way they work, and why every car manufacturer does it that way.

It obviously sucks for us now, but why would you require “compensation”? Do you get compensated when your bus is late? Delays can happen, and depending on when you ordered, you knew beforehand. At the latest when your salesman called you to let you know that you won’t get your car in time. You could’ve cancelled and taken something else.

Make no mistake, i absolutely understand that it sucks for you (and we’re sitting in the same boat with the GTE), but throwing a tantrum doesn’t really do anything – if you want to blame something, Covid is your answer.

#169745 Reply
    John Lawton

Rene,
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>Consider myself told!!</p>

#169770 Reply
    Cooperman

<p style=”text-align: right;”>No fix for golf 8 mmi,sos problems until Jan at the earliest, audi fix possible in December  so don’t hold your breath</p>

#169776 Reply
    Ta152

I don’t think it is unreasonable to think that a car maker wouldn’t have a sensible amount of parts in stock, a vital part as can be clearly seen now to allow them to operate their core business, making cars.

Lets be clear, when anyone orders a car the order is not recieved at the factory that day and is build the following day. Production schedules are planned months in advance. they will know more or less what raw materials are required months in advance.

I eat one meal a day, but my cupboards and freezer are loaded with food to keep me supplied, does anyone else stock up on essentials or perhaps its just me? Compensation can be sought for delayed flights and rail travel

#169780 Reply
    Andy

@Ta152.
    so sorry for the late reply! In answer to your question regarding the salesman going over the cockpit, well, in short- he didn’t. He explained as the covid rules were still in place, he wasn’t allowed to sit in with me and go through anything, but was willing to answer any questions I had, all in all my handover was 15 mins tops! But, like most of you on here, my car was ordered back in January so I had plenty of time for research on the ‘cockpit’, I probably knew how to operate it better than him! I found this YouTube video particularly helpful.

I am keeping everything crossed for you all to receive good news very soon.

#169782 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

Rene, <p style=”text-align: left;”>Consider myself told!!</p>

Wasn’t meant to be rude, btw. Just the way i type.

I don’t think it is unreasonable to think that a car maker wouldn’t have a sensible amount of parts in stock, a vital part as can be clearly seen now to allow them to operate their core business, making cars.

Even if they had stock, how long do you think that’d last? Do they have a warehouse somewhere with hundreds of trillions of chips, worth billions and billions of pound somewhere, with a part that has a shelf life and requires air/environmental conditioning?

Lets be clear, when anyone orders a car the order is not recieved at the factory that day and is build the following day. Production schedules are planned months in advance. they will know more or less what raw materials are required months in advance.

Correct. And they buy chips for that contingent that is planned in that very production schedule you mention. You realise the fact that these delivery problems didn’t start until this year – when did covid start to interrupt our lives?

There you go. It didn’t immediately go down the drain. It went down the drain once the supply for factories dried up.

Not to mention that even if they did have a stockpile, do you stockpile chips for 20 years in advance?

Car manufacturers work with JIT systems, some of them for over 50 years now (Toyota for example started in 1970). The system, much like many, many others, doesn’t hold up to worldwide pandemics it turned out. It’s hardly something i personally would expect car manufacturers to account for, when even our directly related health systems crumbled way before them.

I eat one meal a day, but my cupboards and freezer are loaded with food to keep me supplied, does anyone else stock up on essentials or perhaps its just me? Compensation can be sought for delayed flights and rail travel

Not quite correct. This is only applicable for flights in the UK and EU (it’s an EU law), only after more than three hours of delay, and doesn’t cover anything for leaving on time but arriving late.

For trains, Delay Repay is an opt-in scheme, not some regulated thing. There’s no such thing as a “right to compensation” or something.

Btw, our freezer is empty apart from some ice cream. We cook fresh, and in fact “just in time” too. We get the ingredients delivered, they go in the fridge and then on the hob. Now try and stock food in your freezer for all the fridges of your family members worldwide, with items that “go off” within 2 years, and require you to monitor and adjust temperature and humidity, and if just a little bit goes wrong, they require re-baking. Something that car manufacturers can’t actually do in the first place.

Again. I understand that it’s frustrating, we’d rather have our car in 2-3 months too, i basically watch a Golf GTE video every evening (sad as it is) – but i also understand that what you’re asking for is quite literally impossible with their current infrastructure. And i wouldn’t want to pay extra on cars so manufacturers can waste products because “in the next worldwide pandemic i’d need to wait for me new car again”. It does absolutely suck, no argument here, but in the end, you can always walk away from that particular car and go with a korean one, which usually have shorter lead times (due to korean car manufacturers getting priority by samsung etc).

#169783 Reply
    Ta152

There you go. It didn’t immediately go down the drain. It went down the drain once the supply for factories dried up.

That’ll be the supply that they cancelled then and then thought because we are a global brand we’ll get them when we need them. Like a responsible manufacturer the chip companies sold their stock elsewhere and car makers got sent to the back of the queue, some are having to pay upfront before they’re delivered.

I worked in Lean and system thinking for a good few years and am well aware how JIT works.

Right to compensation, your phrase not mine, but agree that compensation can be sought for delayed/cancelled travel

#169784 Reply
    Ta152

Andy,

Like yourself I’ve been learning from youtube, How are you enjoying your 8? Is it everything you thought it would be?

#169802 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

That’ll be the supply that they cancelled then and then thought because we are a global brand we’ll get them when we need them. Like a responsible manufacturer the chip companies sold their stock elsewhere and car makers got sent to the back of the queue, some are having to pay upfront before they’re delivered.

They’re also not a priority, if you worked in JIT you should know that. It’s also not “like a responsible manufacturer”, again, they need to sell the chips or they’ll waste them.

I worked in Lean and system thinking for a good few years and am well aware how JIT works.

If you did, and had anything even remotely to do with actual setups, then your criticism is even less understandable – you also don’t seem to have ever worked in/with economics. Yes, car manufacturers cancelled orders. The choice was either to take chips and throw them away, or cancel them because they knew that the global pandemic will reduce A: demand, B: output.

Are you suggesting that car manufacturers were supposed to employ people with clairvoyance, suggesting the timeframe it’ll take to develop the vaccines/get out of global lockdowns?

Ignoring of course that even the prioritised manufacturers for chips can’t get them (entertainment industry), to the point where GPU manufacturers can’t roll out graphic cards, new “consoles” get delayed (steam deck), the PS5 production got scaled back even heavier (one year on the market and retailers get 1000 consoles per restock every few weeks, all of which sell out within minutes). 

#169807 Reply
    Ta152

Car manufacterers cancelled orders, they took that choice to not to buy from their supplier. What deal Sony had in place with their supplier has Nothing to do with VW.  As the all knowing expert in JIT you’ll be well aware that JIT is only as good as your supply network and from yoour economic background you’ll be able to pinpoint the cost to VW and others of closing down production and then having to restart it versus having extra supplies which they will use anyway

Shelf life? How often have you taken your current car in for replacement chips because they are a few weeks/months/year old and haven’t been kept in control conditions like at the factory?

Did Tesco/Asda and a whole load of others employ clairvoiants then to keep shelfs filled and stocking coming in in the pandemic? Like in keeping the business functioning and open to trade

Again with your economic hat on you think that by finding new customers for your product instead of wasting them and costing you money isn’t responible, like to see you argue that with shareholders of said companies, given that their responsability is to safe guard shareholders money.

You can try to dress it up as much as you like but the simple fact being the car makers shot themselves in the foot by cancelling supplies that are required to produce their products. You can list a trillion companies that use chips but that has no bearing on what price, amounts and delivery that VW signed a contract for.

#169808 Reply
    John Lawton

Ta152,
    If you could see me now, I’m stood up clapping you!!

#169813 Reply
    Andy

@Ta152

oh it most certainly is, it’s an absolute dream to drive, so comfy, yet feels solid, we love it. Came with 210 miles worth of fuel in tank too😁

#169819 Reply
    John Lawton

Andy,

To say I’m not jealous is a understatement!! Lol. Hope there is light at the end of the tunnel for ALL of us.

#169825 Reply
    Andy

John

like I said in a previous post my call came totally out of the blue, was not expecting it this year. Our salesman has had 2 cars delivered of 14 motability cars so far.

I really hope you and everyone on here get theirs very soon.

Viewing 25 replies - 226 through 250 (of 266 total)
Reply To: VW Golf 8 R-Line Delay?
Your information: