VW Golf 8 R-Line Delay?

• Creator
    Topic
  • #138446 Reply
    RedPanda
    Participant

Hi guys,

First time poster, long term Motability customer.

Ordered my shiny new Golf 8 1.5 eTSI R-Line back in December ’20 and I got a call today from my dealer to say there’s now a delay in production of car meaning I’ve got an unconfirmed build date sometime in April.

I was originally due to change-over on 1st March so rather frustrated I now potentially have to wait until May to get the car. What’s more frustrating is that, nothing is confirmed so this may be later, earlier or as expected – the clarity here is dysfunctional.

I never had this issue with my last three Ford vehicles or my latest Kia. I contacted VW customer service who advised that the dealer should have quoted a 19-week timeframe as opposed to ensuring me the car would be ready for my usual hand-over date.

I just wanted to know if anyone has had a similar experience? Could this be an overestimation? I read a post back in 2019 with a similar position to me but nothing as of recent.

Thanks!

Ford Mondeo Titanium X - Ford Focus Zetec - Ford Fiesta Titanium X - KIA ProCeed GT Line S - VW Golf 8 R-Line

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #138448 Reply
    joss

Hi there RedPanda, welcome to out forums.

If you browse the forum you will find similar post to yours. We are living in strange times where everything is in a flux. There is not a lot we can do barring biting the bullet and waiting it out.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#138449 Reply
    Markw
    Participant

I was quoted 12 weeks for my Ateca,  which was revised to 18, it actually took 3 days longer than that but VAG customer service gave me 250 quid for the extra delay

Currently driving Seat Ateca 2.0 FR Sport TDI 190 DSG 4drive

#138455 Reply
    Newbie1892

Hi,

so this is my experience of ordering a Volkswagen but the sharan model, I ordered beginning of August 2020, got told by dealer that it would be a 18 week wait, actually it is a lot longer I’m on week 26 car has just been built and on way to Emden before coming to uk, so looking like late feb early March I might get it.

my experience of vw is the dealer has not been good enough, I have never ever been updated from them it has always been vw customer live chat who have told me about what’s happening, also there was a thread by brydo who did a write up about semi conductors shortage, this held up my car by about four weeks and it’s currently taking them 2 full weeks to build cars rather than 17-24 hours in normal times.

I hope this helps.

#138465 Reply
    Mike Cooper

Are there no stock vehicles at all in the country for this model? It’s a very decent ap at the moment so must be popular on Motability right now. I can’t order until June but am definitely interested in the r-line and not that fussed about colour/extras so will be hoping to get an in stock vehicle if wait times are still dodgy.Got my present Mini Countryman 2.0 Diesel that way and collected it 16 days after placing order!

#138479 Reply
    comfortablynumb
    Participant

Are there no stock vehicles at all in the country for this model? It’s a very decent ap at the moment so must be popular on Motability right now. I can’t order until June but am definitely interested in the r-line and not that fussed about colour/extras so will be hoping to get an in stock vehicle if wait times are still dodgy.Got my present Mini Countryman 2.0 Diesel that way and collected it 16 days after placing order!

I’m with you there bud. I got my Focus from stock within 10 days and the Kuga replacement from stock is on it’s way within couple of weeks. If that isn’t suitable then, as part of my back up plan, I have also been in touch with VW dealer this morning and they have 5 different colours of Tiguan Elegance plus 3 colours of Tiguan R-Line available within 2-3 weeks. Spoilt for choice I am. I prefer to choose a car at the trim level I want, at the AP that I can afford and wouldn’t dream of paying for extras.

I could never put up with all this waiting for a factory order at the best of time never mind during this pandemic.

#138555 Reply
    RedPanda
    Participant

Ah maybe that’s why my other cars weren’t delayed then – I’ve always had stock trim. This time I thought I’d opt for the nicer alloys due to the increased GCB payout but maybe I’ve shot myself in the foot as a result?

Still, I wouldn’t have thought alloy changes would have had a massive delay/wait time as the VW CService confirmed.

This is the first time I’ve had an issue with delays on cars.

Ford Mondeo Titanium X - Ford Focus Zetec - Ford Fiesta Titanium X - KIA ProCeed GT Line S - VW Golf 8 R-Line

#138556 Reply
    RedPanda
    Participant

Hi there RedPanda, welcome to out forums. If you browse the forum you will find similar post to yours. We are living in strange times where everything is in a flux. There is not a lot we can do barring biting the bullet and waiting it out.

Ah, my apologies on that!

I did search but couldn’t find anything, as I say I could only find a post from 2019.

#138559 Reply
    Zak

Hi Red Panda, I also placed an order for a VW 8 R-Line in moonstone grey with a few extra’s such as winter pack and upgraded bergamo alloys. The date I was given by Johnson’s VW is mid/end March however my order was placed first week January 2021. After reading your post I am slightly worried that my order also will be delayed but I have not yet heard anything from the dealer.
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>Originally I did try to find a pre-built car that had not been registered but found this slightly difficult due to the colour I wanted. After ringing many dealerships I found that most vehicles in stock had a huge list of extra’s that took the AP well over £2,000+, some even totalling £4500.</p>
    I might start the search again for a pre-built model.

#138561 Reply
    Sulei

Afternoon All,

I think this is happening at every dealership to be honest. I ordered a CLA in December 2020 and was quoted 12 weeks to begin with then it went to the end of July and yesterday I was told it could be longer then that, So I cancelled straight away (Tbh I’ve always got stock cars from motability so I was going to cancel anyway as I didn’t feel paying 4k AP was worth it for a car I won’t see a return on anyway I’m going on a bit here lol)

Back to thread. I really liked the look of the Golf R Line with Bergamo alloys so I called yesterday to order (AP off £400 only plus the added extras which is still relatively not that much expensive) and was told there is no stock anywhere in UK and will be a 5 t0 6 months wait possibly longer.

Out of curiosity I decided to ring Audi and BMW, again all wait times are much longer than 4 months. I guess that’s just they way things are now sadly.

#138578 Reply
    Zak

Hi Sulei,

The £400AP price for the R-Line spec in my opinion is great, after adding the Bergamo alloys £450 and winter pack £270 i managed to get a £200 dealer contribution which was fantastic! Leadtimes currently seem to be becoming a norm, i must admit i’m not too fused waiting until March/April ish for delivery if anything it gives us the chance to see what the AP’s look like 1st April.

Will you now continue with your order with VW? If so what rough month delivery have they given you?

#138605 Reply
    RedPanda
    Participant

Hi Red Panda, I also placed an order for a VW 8 R-Line in moonstone grey with a few extra’s such as winter pack and upgraded bergamo alloys. The date I was given by Johnson’s VW is mid/end March however my order was placed first week January 2021. After reading your post I am slightly worried that my order also will be delayed but I have not yet heard anything from the dealer. <p style=”text-align: left;”>Originally I did try to find a pre-built car that had not been registered but found this slightly difficult due to the colour I wanted. After ringing many dealerships I found that most vehicles in stock had a huge list of extra’s that took the AP well over £2,000+, some even totalling £4500.</p> I might start the search again for a pre-built model.

I think this just applies to the eTSI model although the semi-conductor shortage etc I’ve been reading about may apply to all models. The VW customer service rep advised that the dealer should have given me a 19-week wait time as opposed to saying I’ll be able to get the car for my usual 3-month hand-over. I opted for the DSG 1.5 eTSI petrol spec as opposed to the manual 1.5 petrol.

If you don’t hear from your dealer, def chase this up with them and find out as to whether you need to extend.

Hi Sulei, The £400AP price for the R-Line spec in my opinion is great, after adding the Bergamo alloys £450 and winter pack £270 i managed to get a £200 dealer contribution which was fantastic! Leadtimes currently seem to be becoming a norm, i must admit i’m not too fused waiting until March/April ish for delivery if anything it gives us the chance to see what the AP’s look like 1st April. Will you now continue with your order with VW? If so what rough month delivery have they given you?

Sadly I never get any sort of dealer contribution, how do you usually go about said discount?

#138608 Reply
    Zak

@RedPanda I think the discount I received was due to the fact I went through Johnson’s VW, I tried to get the same £200 discount with VW Direct but they basically laughed it off. There were willing to pass on the order instead of matching the £200 discount. In the end I placed the order with Johnson’s… i will give them a call tomorrow for an update reference the delivery date.

#138645 Reply
    RedPanda
    Participant

@RedPanda I think the discount I received was due to the fact I went through Johnson’s VW, I tried to get the same £200 discount with VW Direct but they basically laughed it off. There were willing to pass on the order instead of matching the £200 discount. In the end I placed the order with Johnson’s… i will give them a call tomorrow for an update reference the delivery date.

I had a similar experience with Kia Bolton although this was over the car I have now and not a discoint/

I enquired months previous to choosing about the car and they assured me there was stock. Fast forward to the time of ordering and I was then told no stock was available. Confused by this, they were able to find stock… down south.

Kia wanted me to pay a £300 transport fee to get the car to me – I argued with them, tried to haggle and even enquired via a Chapelhouse dealer who mentioned they wouldn’t charge any fee. Kia just wasn’t budging and weren’t any help or sympathetic in the slightest.

Went straight to Chapelhouse who gave me a hassle-free experience.

#141493 Reply
    Daniel

How’s it going, I’ve ordered the rline in moonstone grey also but only a few days ago on 27.02.2021

I was told 10 weeks as estimated time start of may, after looking on here I got myself abit worried because I wouldn’t be willing to wait as long as some of you have been told you’re now going to be. So I have email my dealer and asked if the lead time is in fact true and also contacted vw uk and asked what the lead time was and they told me that if the dealer has said 10 weeks I would go with that as they can’t see any issues with the rline currently.

maybe I got lucky or I’m being fed what I want to hear so I don’t cancel? Who knows only time will tell lol

#141495 Reply
    Markw
    Participant

The best thing to do is look online in the VW forums,  that will give you a much clearer idea on actual build and delivery times,  in my opinion 10 weeks is very optimistic,  I chose an Ateca over a Tiguan because the latter’s deliveries were taking 26 weeks.

Currently driving Seat Ateca 2.0 FR Sport TDI 190 DSG 4drive

#141499 Reply
    John Morris

My ateca was ordered on 29/12 for a factory build and I am picking up on sat. 10 weeks start to finish. The VAG group build their cars all over the place and that is more the problem. Some factories have a shortage of semi conductors and the 2.0tsi engine is an issue. Other factories have no issues at all.

#141500 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

This is the pitfall of ‘Just In Time’ systems manufacturers uses these days.
    If it isn’t micro chips it will be something else and when I was ordering my Golf Tsi back in 2014 there was talk of delays due to shortages of DSG boxes and when I ordered a Seat Leon in 2011 the talk then was shortages of infotainment units and by the time I order my next car in July they will have all the micro chips they need but it will be something else.

That said all my cars have been delivered on time or no more than two weeks late, that was until my last order in 2018 when WLTP put the delivery of a VW Touran at 9 months with no guarantee that date was final.

I read the other day the only manufacturer that’s not being impacted by chip shortages is Hyundai who seen what was coming and put a big order in last October but one thing I do give credit to the manufacturers for is at least there not using the Covid excuse.😊

#141507 Reply
    Daniel

Update: Rang the dealer today and said was worried about being told 10 weeks when read it was a lot longer and they guy checked and said it’s 18weeks and he’s not sure why I was told 10 weeks he could only imagine they gave me the prediction pre COVID times so I’ll take it as the dealer just wanted me to order it on the spot lol

told him 18 weeks was almost double the time was quoted so abit ridiculous but understand with everything going on etc so he’s having a ring about to see if he can’t get one that’s already been made from somewhere else in the uk I might just have to compromise on colour. So hoping I get a phone call back soon!

walked past another dealers today and saw they had the same gold in the rline but was an estate and it looks amazing. Tempted to wait if all else fails just such a wait haha

#141528 Reply
    Zak

Hi Daniel, I have also placed an order for the Mk8 Golf 1.5 eTSI DSG model in moonstone grey. I placed the order 6th January and was initially told collection early March. After two weeks I received a call to say the car had been delayed and would instead be built in May and collection would be July/August. I kept my order while looking for existing stock but that was not successful, I searched nearly every branded dealer that offered this vehicle throughout the entire UK and after days of research found just two models available however with £4000+ added extra’s. Thankfully around a week or two ago I received another call from my dealer advising the vehicle had moved forward and is now currently being built with a collection date in April.

Out of interest did you add any optional extra’s?

#141530 Reply
    Adam
    Participant

Did anyone watch  Richard Hammond’s big: World’s Biggest Car Factory

Were Richard explores Volkswagen’s giant car plant in Wolfsburg, Germany

The largest car-making manufacturing plant in the world—70 million square feet large—resides in Wolfsburg, Germany, pounding out 3,800 Volkswagen vehicles per day Amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlSxy_5GGh0&list=PLpp6pYY-9DKj0EVhKoJGmlTo6K7-ZPrkc

#141531 Reply
    Daniel

Evening Zak,

that’s good new glad you got yours currently being built! I’m going to leave mine in but it’s my first time ordering a car through mobility so not even sure how it works if I cancel can I just make a new application and it will get accepted? I’ve been looking at the Audi A3 35 s line as my local dealer has some in stock but they are £1400 ap so not sure I want to put that much down and have my heart set on the golf now I think.

As for extras I just got the lane assist and electric folding mirrors bundle which was £550 but got them to give me a discount today for £200 off that price because of the longer wait.  Apart from that no other extras

Did you get any extras? Was tempted to get the led strip on front and door handles as it’s only £90 but decided probably not worth it haha

#141532 Reply
    Harry

I ordered the Leon FR Sport (Basically a better driving golf :p) start of December… Was told would be ready for start of March 2 weeks ago been told its been delayed and has no build date.

Seems VW severly messed up their conductor chip stock as spoke to Mini/BMW and they have plenty with no delays at current.

#141533 Reply
    Daniel

Yeah I did look at the Leon fr sport it is a nice car but I was quoted 20weeks on that so decided against it!

nice car though! Comes with a lot of extras as standard compared to the golf. But definitely prefer the golf! The r-line just looks amazing in the moonstone in my opinion anyway (probably because I’m in my 20s lol)

But yes they did say they was having problems with some chip and the etsi but apparently that’s been sorted that’s what vw told me anyways! Fingers crossed and now watching that thing on the factory with Richard Hammond! Great watch cheers for that

#141534 Reply
    Kevin

Computer chip shortage at all manufacturers,most are making less cars at the moment,so delivery times are increasing,all the makers are fighting to get hold of the chips needed to make a car,one short and all stops

#141538 Reply
    Zak

@daniel I added the 18’’ Bergamo alloys and also the winter pack. I must admit I also was 50/50 about the light pack but when I added this to the configuration online it could only be added if you also selected the LED headlights, due to this I didn’t end up adding the light strip. Glad to hear you also got a £200 dealer contribution, I managed to get mine as I ordered through Johnson’s VW.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 66 total)
Reply To: VW Golf 8 R-Line Delay?
Your information: