Volvo XC40 PHEV mpg on petrol engine only.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #154993 Reply
    smasher

Sorry if this has been asked before but I’m looking for the mpg of the xc40 PHEV when the battery has been exhausted.

Viewing 5 replies - 51 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #155651 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

It does, Oscarmax.

#155654 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

It does, Oscarmax.

Thanks for that Wigwam, I was looking through the road test report last night the journalist just don’t have the slightest clue as regard how to drive and operate these PHEV.

Our Outlander PHEV if you press the charge mode at speed over 45mph it make absolutely no difference to onboard fuel consumption plus you have the benefit of a free battery charge.

However under 45mph it make a slight reduction in fuel consumption, but you are still adding a battery charge so it all evens out.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#155657 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

It does, Oscarmax.

Thanks for that Wigwam, I was looking through the road test report last night the journalist just don’t have the slightest clue as regard how to drive and operate these PHEV. Our Outlander PHEV if you press the charge mode at speed over 45mph it make absolutely no difference to onboard fuel consumption plus you have the benefit of a free battery charge. However under 45mph it make a slight reduction in fuel consumption, but you are still adding a battery charge so it all evens out.

Thats very interesting, because I have watched a number or reviews where they all say that the option to recharge the battery using the engine (a feature which, I believe, all PHEV’s have) is very inefficient and hits fuel economy. Haven’t watched any on the Outlander though. On the basis that nothing is free that does seem logical, as the engine that is working to charge the battery is consuming extra petrol doing so.

If you think about it, if charging the battery from the engine made no difference to fuel economy then surely all PHEV’s would be configured to do that as a matter of course, in addition to regenerative energy? That way you would never need to have the hassle of ever plugging them in to charge them (which also costs money). That would be a real winner for those who can’t charge their cars at home.

#155658 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

It does, Oscarmax.

Thanks for that Wigwam, I was looking through the road test report last night the journalist just don’t have the slightest clue as regard how to drive and operate these PHEV. Our Outlander PHEV if you press the charge mode at speed over 45mph it make absolutely no difference to onboard fuel consumption plus you have the benefit of a free battery charge. However under 45mph it make a slight reduction in fuel consumption, but you are still adding a battery charge so it all evens out.

Thats very interesting, because I have watched a number or reviews where they all say that the option to recharge the battery using the engine (a feature which, I believe, all PHEV’s have) is very inefficient and hits fuel economy. Haven’t watched any on the Outlander though. On the basis that nothing is free that does seem logical, as the engine that is working to charge the battery is consuming extra petrol doing so. If you think about it, if charging the battery from the engine made no difference to fuel economy then surely all PHEV’s would be configured to do that as a matter of course, in addition to regenerative energy? That way you would never need to have the hassle of ever plugging them in to charge them (which also costs money). That would be a real winner for those who can’t charge their cars at home.

I only have experience of the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, so really cannot comment on other PHEV models/manufactures.

In charge mode the Outlander uses any excess torque to charge the batteries, the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum is a excellent source of information, there is a huge difference between theory and reality backed up by experienced owners.

A PHEV is nowhere as efficient as a full EV it is a bit of a compromise, even with the ICE unit charging it will consume more energy faster than it can generate.

Now I have some experience under my belt I can tow a 1500kg caravan with careful management in charge mode for approximately 70 miles and achieve 32mpg, on a longer 178 mile run towing with careful management I can achieve 28.5mpg, our Ford Kuga 2.0 diesel powershift would achieve around 29/30mpg.

To date we have not carried out any long runs solo, when we travel to the daughter we have always had the opportunity to charged up both ways, we are carrying out a 80 mile run on Tuesday starting with a full charge so will let you now.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#155915 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

It does, Oscarmax.

Thats very interesting, because I have watched a number or reviews where they all say that the option to recharge the battery using the engine (a feature which, I believe, all PHEV’s have) is very inefficient and hits fuel economy. Haven’t watched any on the Outlander though. On the basis that nothing is free that does seem logical, as the engine that is working to charge the battery is consuming extra petrol doing so. If you think about it, if charging the battery from the engine made no difference to fuel economy then surely all PHEV’s would be configured to do that as a matter of course, in addition to regenerative energy? That way you would never need to have the hassle of ever plugging them in to charge them (which also costs money). That would be a real winner for those who can’t charge their cars at home.

I only have experience of the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, so really cannot comment on other PHEV models/manufactures. In charge mode the Outlander uses any excess torque to charge the batteries, the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum is a excellent source of information, there is a huge difference between theory and reality backed up by experienced owners. A PHEV is nowhere as efficient as a full EV it is a bit of a compromise, even with the ICE unit charging it will consume more energy faster than it can generate. Now I have some experience under my belt I can tow a 1500kg caravan with careful management in charge mode for approximately 70 miles and achieve 32mpg, on a longer 178 mile run towing with careful management I can achieve 28.5mpg, our Ford Kuga 2.0 diesel powershift would achieve around 29/30mpg. To date we have not carried out any long runs solo, when we travel to the daughter we have always had the opportunity to charged up both ways, we are carrying out a 80 mile run on Tuesday starting with a full charge so will let you now.

104 mile journey to Shropshire starting of with a full charge combination of A and B roads 67.6 mpg

Viewing 5 replies - 51 through 55 (of 55 total)
Reply To: Volvo XC40 PHEV mpg on petrol engine only.
Your information: