Volvo XC40 PHEV mpg on petrol engine only.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #154993 Reply
    smasher

Sorry if this has been asked before but I’m looking for the mpg of the xc40 PHEV when the battery has been exhausted.

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #155473 Reply
    Fadge
    Participant

Evening, not really done to many journeys so far this week, but this is a local one of just over 3 miles.

I did the journey going completely in hybrid electric with the exception of twice when the engine kicked in as I accelerated, the return journey was still in hybrid using electric but charging the engine at the same time.

#155474 Reply
    smasher

@Fadge that’s great thanks.

The return journey you where “charging the engine at the same time” what does that mean?

#155476 Reply
    Fadge
    Participant

@smasher Leaving the car in hybrid mode it runs mostly in electric but you also have buttons  in the menu to either hold the current charge for later or charge the battery using the engine which is what I did on the return journey.

#155481 Reply
    Fadge
    Participant

This is my 7 day average

#155492 Reply
    smasher

@Fadge, looks very promising.

Can you run on electric all the time, or most of the time, if travelling short journeys. A lot of our car use is school run and local shops, all under 10 miles return.

#155497 Reply
    Fadge
    Participant

Yep you can run in pure electric mode as long as you have charge in the battery, that was the main reason we got one, mostly short journeys under 10 miles, I expect my mpg to go up as I’m now using more electric.

#155517 Reply
    smasher

So let me get this:-

You can drive in pure electric and the engine will cut in if needed.

On a longer journey its best to drive in Hybrid Mode where the car decides when/if the electric or engine should be used.

This is all looking good Fadge.

Can you tell me how much fuel is costing you on a weekly/monthly basis?

Is the Inscription or the R-Design the best option?

#155612 Reply
    smasher

Contacted my local Volvo dealer today, December delivery on the XC40 Inscription Pro PHEV.

#155613 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Contacted my local Volvo dealer today, December delivery on the XC40 Inscription Pro PHEV.

I was told exactly the same by my local Volvo dealer a few weeks ago, yet other forum members at other dealerships are being told 2 months. Difficult to know who to believe.

#155615 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

My dealer said 8 weeks on top of normal delivery time but that was 2 weeks ago. I suppose orders are stacking up.

#155632 Reply
    Gary

Got my fortnightly call and was told to still expect last couple weeks of September (14th to 28th window)

#155633 Reply
    Crusty

Hi, first time posting here, so hello everyone.

Just wanted to add that I ordered an Inscription Pro Phev with extras on the 8/6/21 from Johnsons Volvo of Gloucester and I have been given a delivery date of mid Sept.

#155635 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Hi, first time posting here, so hello everyone. Just wanted to add that I ordered an Inscription Pro Phev with extras on the 8/6/21 from Johnsons Volvo of Gloucester and I have been given a delivery date of mid Sept.

Hi Crusty and a very warm welcome to the forum. Thank you for posting this. The XC40 was our second choice car after the BMW X1 that we have ordered, but Volvo Bristol were absolutely dire, cancelling our test drive the day before as they are closing in the summer and couldn’t be bothered. The new dealership has yet to open. If our X1 order gets substantially delayed, or more options are deleted due to the chip shortage (we’ve already lost the Harman/Kardon Surround Sound system due to this) then we will revisit the XC40 and will go to Johnson’s in Gloucester. As a Motability customer, did you find that they were helpful and were you able to get a decent test drive of a few hours?

#155637 Reply
    Crusty

Hi Glos Guy, thanks for the welcome.

I was given a hour to test drive but took closer to a hour and a half. I couldn’t have all the options I wanted due to the chip shortage, but I could of had the Harmen Karden system but decided £550 was to much for a system that is subject to much debate on its merits on Volvo forums and the standard stereo sounded perfectly ok to me, it has 250w output and sounded punchy. I specified close to £3000 on extras including the 360 degree camera which Volvo are currently doing as a stand alone for £600, normally this is £550 extra on top of the drivers aid package which is not available due to chip shortage. (hope that all makes some sort of sense?) The sales people seem to be allergic to the telephone, I have had to chase up on several occasions where they have not come back to me. Been waiting a week now to be informed if Volvo will unlock my order to add the wireless charging option.

#155638 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Crusty – if we had gone for the Volvo I wouldn’t have added Harman/Kardon either, as the standard Volvo system is a much better output than the standard one that BMW fits. I regretted not getting it in my last BMW but have no choice now sadly. I am really looking forward to getting back to a BMW as their engines, transmissions, driving characteristics and technology suit me down to the ground, but I haven’t ruled out the XC40 if BMW make any further changes to spec or lead time, so your info is useful.

#155639 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Glos Guy, I know it’s perception but I think the standard sound in the X1 is very much better than in the XC40.  The bass speakers are under the seats and give a much better spread of sound than what’s behind the dashboard in the XC40.  Also the XC40 has very small speakers only in the top of the rear doors, making the sound in the back very weak.

To my ears there’s a lot of digital tinkering with the XC40 sound to improve it whereas the X1 sound is more natural.

#155640 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Glos Guy, I know it’s perception but I think the standard sound in the X1 is very much better than in the XC40. The bass speakers are under the seats and give a much better spread of sound than what’s behind the dashboard in the XC40. Also the XC40 has very small speakers only in the top of the rear doors, making the sound in the back very weak. To my ears there’s a lot of digital tinkering with the XC40 sound to improve it whereas the X1 sound is more natural.

Thanks Wigwam. That’s made me feel better. Have to say that it sounded fine on the two X1’s that we test drove but I’d already decided that I was having the Harman/Kardon so didn’t really focus on it. The standard sound system on my 5 Series was the only thing that I didn’t like on the car. No choice now anyway, so it will have to do. Dealer emailed me yesterday to say we were still on for end July delivery but I remain sceptical!

#155641 Reply
    Crusty

The XC40 standard speaker setup has eight speakers. Two in each rear door, one on each front door, centre dashboard and air woofer.

#155642 Reply
    Paul

Does xc40 have keyless entry?cant see it on spec list.

#155643 Reply
    Crusty

Only if you specify the £450 Versatility Pack.

#155645 Reply
    smasher

which wall charger is the best?

#155646 Reply
    smasher

Do you need a smart meter?

#155647 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Smasher, For an XC40 hybrid an ordinary 13A plug is fine. The car will charge to full in about 4 hours using the included cable. The maximum charge rate is 3.6kw so even a 7kw supermarket charge won’t speed things up faster than 3 hours.  Anything else is overkill.

#155648 Reply
    James

We paid and upgraded the system on our XC40 order, I didn’t want too but the standard system in my opinion was really bad and the £550 upgraded system is far from perfect

#155650 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

Does the XC40 ICE unit PHEV have a charge mode function enabling the battery to charged when driving like the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 55 total)
Reply To: Volvo XC40 PHEV mpg on petrol engine only.
Your information: