Volvo XC40 PHEV mpg on petrol engine only.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #154993 Reply
    smasher

Sorry if this has been asked before but I’m looking for the mpg of the xc40 PHEV when the battery has been exhausted.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #155002 Reply
    Fadge
    Participant

I picked my xc40 t5 phev last Friday, I’ve been using it mainly on petrol  and charging the battery via petrol too and I’m averaging 36.7 at the moment which I think is pretty reasonable considering its only done about 500 miles and will probably go up a little when it has more miles.

#155006 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

I’m looking forward to finding out when we get ours. Reviews seem to suggest anywhere between 35 and 55, so not terribly helpful.

#155022 Reply
    Vinnie
    Participant

Not a t5 but t3, managed to get 50 mpg on a 200 mile trip, averaging 39 mpg and have finally managed to get over 1000 miles done, very pleased with the car.

#155031 Reply
    Richardw

I had one on a 36hr test drive . We live in a very hilly, rural area and I got 29mpg. I’m sure things are better if you live somewhere flatter but worth bearing in mind if you don’t.

#155055 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

I picked my xc40 t5 phev last Friday, I’ve been using it mainly on petrol and charging the battery via petrol too and I’m averaging 36.7 at the moment which I think is pretty reasonable considering its only done about 500 miles and will probably go up a little when it has more miles.

That is very similar to our Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#155061 Reply
    Farid Miah

We pick up our T5 plug-in hybrid in about a months time, so very interested in this also.

90% of our driving is around town, so i am hoping to use as very little petrol as possible. But reading FB forum’s and other sites, people have suggested it is quite easy to achieve 50MPG if you learn how to use the hybrid system correctly. So purely town driving should be done in electric only, but driving on A roads you should switch to the petrol only as electric becomes very inefficient.

I am very pee’d off with the dealer though who originally told us that we would qualify for the free wall charger promo that Volvo UK were running, only for us to find out a couple of weeks after placing the order that Motability customers do not qualify for the free charger, its only for retail customers! Now I will have to pay for an outside socket!

#155070 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

I’ve watched and read so many reviews of the T5 Recharge that I can’t remember which one it was to provide the link, but I do recall a review suggesting 37mpg in petrol mode. What I do know is that with any PHEV, charging the battery via the petrol engine is very inefficient. You need to plug it in and rely on regenerative braking to realise any cost savings over a petrol car.

Fadge – how long did yours take from order to delivery (assuming that it was a factory order)?  Some on here are being told 8 weeks lead times and I was curious to know if that matches your experience?

EDIT – sorry Fadge. Just noticed that you stated on another thread that your dealer managed to get a built one in a fortnight for you and is now advising 2-3 months lead times.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by Glos Guy.
    #155073 Reply
    smasher

Can you let the car decide which to use, say on the motorway is there an option that switches between electric and petrol?

#155074 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Hybrid mode leaves the car to decide what to use. You can choose tell it to save the charge in the battery and just use petrol if you might want to just use battery at the other end of the journey using Pure mode.  Either way it will put charge back in the battery from regen braking.

#155075 Reply
    Fadge
    Participant

The reason I’ve been using mostly petrol is because I’ve been waiting to have power outlet fit.

You can get reasonably good mpg on journeys.

#155076 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

That looks very promising Fadge. Can’t you run the charging lead through a window?

#155078 Reply
    Fadge
    Participant

Unfortunately not, you get a 7m cable but my drive is at the end of the garden which is over 10m, I have a wooden gazebo which I’ve now had a socket fit too so i can charge now.

#155080 Reply
    Farid Miah

Yes, apparently its best to switch between petrol and electric yourself to conserve the charge e.g. if you are going on the motorway and will be doing a few miles of city driving at the end.

Fadge, have you charged your car via a 3 pin socket yet? I have heard varying times for a full charge, from 3 hrs-8 hrs!

#155087 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

I’d be interested to know too. Volvo do seem rather vague, although I know in very high or low temperatures some of the charging current is diverted to cooling or heating the battery.

#155088 Reply
    Fadge
    Participant

I’m going to do the first charge later, I’ll get back to you tomorrow.

#155095 Reply
    smasher

Thanks Fadge.

#155111 Reply
    Fadge
    Participant

Morning, I charged the xc40 from the 4 miles I had left to full which said 24 miles in 3hrs 5min, so i would probably say a max of 4 hours for empty to full would seem about right, I’m pretty happy with that thought it would take longer.

#155115 Reply
    Farid Miah

Thats good to hear, thanks for the feedback.

#155120 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Morning, I charged the xc40 from the 4 miles I had left to full which said 24 miles in 3hrs 5min, so i would probably say a max of 4 hours for empty to full would seem about right, I’m pretty happy with that thought it would take longer.

That sounds excellent to me. It will be interesting to know how accurate the 24 mile range is, although I guess you’d have to run it in pure electric mode to find out. Of course, doing that means driving an 82bhp car with 160nm torque which I guess is fine in traffic but may be inadequate on clear roads.

#155124 Reply
    Fadge
    Participant

That sounds excellent to me. It will be interesting to know how accurate the 24 mile range is, although I guess you’d have to run it in pure electric mode to find out. Of course, doing that means driving an 82bhp car with 160nm torque which I guess is fine in traffic but may be inadequate on clear roads.

I’ve ran it in pure electric today and can say that it is absolutely fine in traffic, more than quick enough in round town, in hybrid mode on a dual carriage way it stayed in electric till about 40 and then as I put my foot down the engine kicked till I let off a little and then it stayed in electric at 70 no problems, I’m more than happy with the car so far.

#155125 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

I found on my test drives, if I accelerated reasonably gently up a slip road (even one on a slight incline) I could join 60mph traffic without the engine starting. Maintaining that speed started to drain the battery quite quickly of course.  Driving with a light foot, it’s surprising how much 82hp can do. At town traffic speeds, performance on battery only isn’t going to get you racing around, but as Fadge says it was more than quick enough.

#155130 Reply
    Richardw

This seems to be leading back round to the recent topic on how electric vehicles affect peoples style of driving. Judging by some of these comments that is obviously going to be the case.

#155133 Reply
    smasher

Fadge could you give us a bit of a running commentary on your mileage over the next few days. It would be really interesting to see the results of actual mpg in the various driving modes.

#155136 Reply
    Fadge
    Participant

@smasher ye no problem, I’ll be doing a few short journeys in the next week, so will keep you posted.

#155154 Reply
    smasher

@Fadge cheers.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 54 total)
Reply To: Volvo XC40 PHEV mpg on petrol engine only.
Your information: