XC40 ordered. Inscription Pro B4P

This topic contains 154 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  BionicRusty (Wayne) 2 days, 15 hours ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #118213 Reply

BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

Well I’ve gone and done it!

Spent some time at the dealers yesterday and after some thought and discussion with Mrs Bionic, we’ve only gone and done it.

Dealership – Chester Rybrook.
    One way system for Covid19 and it worked fine. One foot in, one door out.
    We weren’t offered a drink of any kind which I thought was a bit poor but we put it down to the virus. On previous visits to other dealers, the Dealer Principal made a point of speaking to us and showed an interest. Here he or she was not visible. Not overly important,  it was just something I noticed.
    The sales guy was really pleasant and sorted out a viewing of an R Design and an Inscription Pro and sorting insurance to test drive was fast.

Test Drive. Inscription Pro. D4 AWD.
    First port of call for me was how easy it was for me to get in the seat. I noticed that the door covers much of the sill and this will help with reducing having dirty clothes. The distance from the sill to the seat pad is slight larger than the BMW X1 I have now but not ridiculously so. So it got a ✅

In pictures, the seat pad looks quite long and I had a fear that it would not be suitable. However, I was very pleasantly surprised and the pad is under the limit for me. The seat itself is supportive, fairly easy for me to get in on the leather, very comfortable and after 20 minutes, I felt like I could drive further. In any car, about 30 mins is as much as I can take before a break is needed. This awarded it a ✅
    Another fear I had was that the infotainment screen would be too far away for me but again I was pleasantly surprised. So another ✅
    The cabin feels really airy and I was very impressed with the tech.

It wouldn’t be fair to comment on the D4 engine in AWD really as it’s not available to us but I have to say it was amazing and traction was awesome in the pouring rain. The car just hunkers down and goes. I know the FWD will be different but I no boy racer.  The ride was a real step up in comfort from my X1 and soaked up the bumps and pot holes. Compared to the Beemer, it was like being on air suspension. And the turning circle was amazing as well. A definite ✅ for the test drive.

Briefly, negatives for me, and these are purely personal:

– No paddle shifters in the Inscription Pro.
    – I’m disappointed the car isn’t full LED. The rear indicators brake lights and rear fogs are 1800’s bulbs. It spoils the look imo and aren’t as bright as LED. Given Volvo’s reputation for safety………..?!
    – I’d like to be able to use the central screen with a control knob. I have a real dislike of fingerprinted screens.
    – I truly wanted the AWD but the AP is just too much and even without the Pro pack.

The negatives are few though and I’m not going to end on one. I could go on and on about what I love about it but I’ll summarise by saying we liked it enough to place an order for a Glacier Silver with red oxide leather. The Glacier is amazing. In pics, sometimes it looks white, sometimes grey, sometimes blue. In the metal, it’s exactly the same. It just pops in different light and distance to the car, even in the rain! Another ✅

No discount offered so, at first, we thanked the sales guy and went to leave. He asked us to wait and went off ‘to talk to da management’ and came back and said he’d split the cost of the rear tints. You get a feel if that’s it and it felt like it was so we accepted. He did say a deposit was needed and when he said £1,000, I nearly laughed at him. BMW didn’t ask for anything on my X1, even with £2,500 of options. The XC40 has no options other than the tints! That said, I wasn’t bothered either way so paid up.
    – Delivery said to be late Sept.
    – Volvo do not have an order tracker.

I was absolutely shattered by the time we got home. Had a little snack and was tucked into bed with a banging head and incredibly sore. But happy.

I am now in the initiation steps of joining the ‘Naughty 40’s’.
    XC40’s that is. 😁

Job done. Last tick ✅

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

Viewing 25 replies - 76 through 100 (of 154 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #118965 Reply

BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

I agree. Although mpg is important to me, it’s not the be all & end all, although as you say, it is for some. It’s about going in with eyes open. I’ve always wanted a Volvo and always been aware that they’re not the best for economy but where my mileage is right now, it’s a perfect opportunity to own one. And what a car it is.

#119018 Reply

Chris

Honest John reckons the real MPG for a diesel XC40 and a Peugeot 3008 aren’t too different, and I currently drive an XC60…

One thing – does Apple CarPlay come included or is it extra? It may be worth my while haggling over getting that included.

#119021 Reply

Philjb
    Participant

In the scheme of things unless you are doing mega mileage you will hardly notice the change in mpg.

for me I just like the way modern turbo diesels drive with low down torque that’s the thing I’d find most noticeable if I changed.

Tiguan fan boy

#119023 Reply

BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

@chris, Apple CarPlay is a £300 option.

@philjb, well that’s the plan. I’m hoping I don’t notice really. And it’s a bit strange you say that about the modern diesels. I was thinking exactly that earlier. Gone are the days of huge lag and no power until 2.5k revs with a huge dollop of turbo power then nothing. 😂 The modern engines paired with 7 or 8 gears are always on it. And the low down torque makes the cars feel more powerful than an equivalent petrol engine. My wife’s petrol car feels slower than my current diesel car but it’s actually faster. Torque is a mysterious entity!
    But I know all this and I’m more than happy about it. It just means I’ll need to press the loud pedal a little more if needed. That said though, I’m not a quick driver. One or two notches above dawdler. I’m thinking I’ll really enjoy the B4 engine as it suits my driving style.

#119503 Reply

Macca
    Participant

So Wayne  am I right in thinking that you got a £175 discount from Rybrook Chester?

#119646 Reply

RaceCat

@BionicRusty Been a busy week, apologies. I haven’t received mine yet. Although I did receive a renewed pin letter this week, so thats lead me to believe handover might not be far off.

To chime in, exactly as others have said- good mpg is a bit like having a cheery on top of the cake, its nice to have but not the end all,be all.  Equally I’d say its down to driving preference. Leisurely driving will yield better results compared to going full meatloaf on the accelerator.

Although your mileage may vary😂(i’ll see myself out).

#119651 Reply

BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

@macca, Hi. I’m paying £160 for the tints. So pretty pleased with that and a full tank so £60 benefit there.
    I wasn’t feeling too good at the test drive so didn’t feel like I pushed as hard as I should have. I was actually willing to walk away as I really wanted to try a 3 Series for fit but I really liked it and on the day I thought why keep putting myself through this.
    I came out of there more than happy though. And the sales chap was really accommodating.
    Will you go and have a drive?

@RaceCat, I hope it was a good week  😁

Time to get excited now then. I’m excited for you. 😁

Spot on about the fuel chat. I’m pretty good at getting good mpg compared to stats so I’ll see this as a challenge. See if I can beat the mog quotes.

#119656 Reply

Macca
    Participant

Well the dealership that I had a deal negotiated with, and was just waiting on a test drive contacted me yesterday. I was advised that the dealer principal had pulled the plug on motability discounts, so that’s now gone.

I’m looking to see what deals are around locally, and take it from there Wayne.

#119735 Reply

Graham Smith

They asked you for a 1000.00 deposit; are you serious? Tantamount to being held prisoner. Tell them to shove it!!

#119743 Reply

Menorca Mike

Well said Graham totally agree

#119788 Reply

BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

@macca, that’s really dirty of that dealer. A deal’s a deal. To then renege on it is pretty despicable. I know that Volvo and especially on the XC40 are difficult to deal with wrt any deals. I have it in writing for mine on my paperwork.
    I hope you get sorted. Have to tried an X1? If anything does go wrong with this order I’d jump at another at the moment.

@Graham, I know. I believe Volvo have wanted £1,000 for a while now. Probably because they can with the XC40 as it’s so popular. In general I mean, not just with Motability. It does make me think so they have cash flow problems.
    I think I read somewhere that Motability washed their hands of this when it was questioned.
    BMW, on the other hand, laughed when I asked about paying a deposit for my X1. “You don’t pay a deposit for Motability cars”, I was told my my BMW salesman. And that had just south of £3k of options! I can understand some may not pay it to Volvo but I had the cash so it made no odds to me. My only worry is that if the order goes pear shaped, I’ll struggle to get it back. If that happens though, I’m more than willing to carry out a “And in other news” stunt. 😐

#119791 Reply

Macca
    Participant

Yeah it’s frustrating, but it is what it is, so gotta move on.

I’m waiting on a few dealerships getting back to me so we’ll what if anything is available.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by  Macca.
    #119793 Reply

Macca
    Participant

We’ve discounted the X1 already, just not suitable for us.

#119795 Reply

BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

That’s a shame. It’s a cracking car. I really pondered on getting another, especially as the updates cover exactly the things I wasn’t keen on. It’s as if they had my wish list. The ride is too hard for me though and that’s a major factor. I dread to think how the car looks as I weave around our local pot holes 🕳 They are terrible to be fair. Wheel breakers.
    Anyway, please keep us posted on how you get on. What’s on the short-list now? 👍👍

#119796 Reply

Macca
    Participant

Still only considering the XC40 to be honest, we’ve discounted so many cars along the way.

We’re not in any panic as we could keep the current car for another 14 months if need be.

Hopefully there will be a deal to be had though.

#119874 Reply

BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

Fingers crossed Macca 🤞

#119876 Reply

Macca
    Participant

Well, discussed with both Chester and Angelsey again today, still no competitive deal offered. So checking out a few other options. We’ll see.

#119885 Reply

BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

That’s a shame Macca. My sales guy was pretty adamant as well and was rolling off the ‘our car is a best seller right now so why would we offer a reduction?’ bumpf. And I know that’s right.
    To make you feel a little better and something else that’s just pee’d me off is that I have just had confirmed is that all new cars now only come with one key! They do come with a servicing key but that’s not much use unless you’re wearing overalls. However in the US, you get four! Two main keys, a ‘Sports key’ and the service key!

At this rate MY22 will only have two ‘free wheels’ with an option to buy more from the ‘packs list‘!

#119888 Reply

Macca
    Participant

If we don’t get to a stage where there’s a deal we’re wanting to run with, we are not shy of staying in the current car so it’s no big deal really.

#119890 Reply

Haley

That’s a real shame macca. When I ordered the xc40 and asked them if they wanted a deposit he said they never take a deposit for Motability he seamed shocked that places do so that’s not a Volvo thing it’s the individual dealership. Have you considered the mg hs ? There is a lot of love on the forum for it and sounds like a good all around car, you get a lot  for the money.

#119891 Reply

Macca
    Participant

The MG doesn’t appeal Haley. We both really like the Volvo, its ticks a lot of boxes as I’m tall and the boss is ‘vertically challenged’. Its one of the very few cars that seems to suit us both.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by  Macca.
    #119893 Reply

Haley

I know how you feel I fell in love with the xc40. Good luck with the negotiations 👍

#119900 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

So you only get one key, just asked how much for a new extra key,,,,,,,, £438,,,,,,,,,,, for a key!!!!!!!!

#119993 Reply

BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

@vinalspin, yeah, this info is coming from new owners posting on the XC40 forum mainly. A couple have queried it with Volvo and had it confirmed.
    It’s still two keys I guess, just only one with the driver setting functionality. One only ever sits in the ‘car box’ any way. 😁

Is that how much they are? Flippin’ expensive! 😮 I’ll be sure to add a GPS tracker fob to mine then. 😂

#119994 Reply

BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

@macca, with month end upon us, it might be worth trying dealers on your max range of travel. You never know, one may offer a deal to hit month end. 🤞

@Haley, wow I’m surprised at that. I was kind of led to believe the £1k deposit was a Volvo ‘thing’. I’m sure I’ve read it here in the past six months as well. Just goes to show some are more accommodating than others. 😁

Viewing 25 replies - 76 through 100 (of 154 total)
Reply To: XC40 ordered. Inscription Pro B4P

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: