Volvo xc40

• Creator
    Topic
    Ellyr5
    Participant

Hi, not new to the forum but cannot recall username or password so have registered again! The forum is as always forever helpful.

Ive just signed up for a Volvo xc40 petrol automatic soft hybrid in Pearl white after a great test drive and excellent service from ‘Ben’ at Crawley showroom. Was a little tempted by the pale blue but it seemed a little too flat for me and I always love white! Felt very informed, valued and happy with our choice. May date given but I’m not banking on that but was assured to contact him anytime for updates. Seamless application accompanied by coffees.
      Currently have a Peugeot 3008 and will be happy to wave it goodbye but my other half not as much so! 🤣

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 76 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      christheheathen
      Participant

We have one on order quoted march but I think they just give you a date out of the ether lol.

The volvo dealers are decent the issue seems to be head office as they have all the power now since its been changed to the agency model so getting updates is quite hard as the dealers can’t access the info and the info they are given is usually not very accurate. My dealer cannot even see a build date for my car and can’t actually order one.

Ellyr5
        Participant

Oh yikes Chris that doesn’t sound so good! I hope you get it sooner than later! Me too! I’m not in a rush though so happy to see what happens for a while and hope for the best! Watch this space! Good luck! Great car choice by the way! 👍🏼

Participant

I notice as of this morning that Volvo have removed the expected delivery timescale from the configurator. It did say expected delivery “3-6 months” now showing nothing. 😬😞

christheheathen
            Participant

Yeah I was reading the xc40 forum last night regarding Bristol port delays apparently its full and they are moving them out very very slowly and stopped sending anymore from Belgium.

Participant

Yeah I was reading the xc40 forum last night regarding Bristol port delays apparently its full and they are moving them out very very slowly and stopped sending anymore from Belgium.

Hmm, the “3-6 months” timescale has returned now but who knows how long it’ll be?

Yes, I had a good read through that thread last night and some of the posters seem to have gathered some really good information together there.

I passed the car holding parks at Portbury docks the other day as I was going along the M5 and I don’t think I’ve ever seen them that full in all my years of driving past. Seems crazy that it’s just a matter of not being able to get hold of enough car transporters to take them to dealers though. 🤔

christheheathen
                Participant

Yeah I was down there last week for work and it was rammed more so than normal. Hopefully the problem is resolved soon so they can get the backlog m9ved along

jOhn
                  Participant

I ordered a XC40 last week and a friend of mine a couple of weeks before that (both Edinburgh).

Volvo person last week said they I was his 6th Motability order that week.  The guy immediately before me was also Motability.

From what he said, it seems they are popular.

warpig
                    Participant

I’ve had one for 3 years, lovely to drive. The only time it’s been back to the dealership is for servicing. Mines a B4 Auto. The only downside is the average mileage over 19,000 miles is 28.5mpg

72 dudes
                      Participant

I’ve had one for 3 years, lovely to drive. The only time it’s been back to the dealership is for servicing. Mines a B4 Auto. The only downside is the average mileage over 19,000 miles is 28.5mpg

Ouch.

Our T4 Inscription is 4 years old and our average has been just under 33mpg calculated brim to brim. Lots of short journeys though.

So much for the mild hybrid technology on yours!

Otherwise we’ve loved it.

Participant

Oh dear, not good at all. My previous experiences with petrol engine Volvo’s has been similar. Last one was a T3 V40 and it was chronic, in the 20’s, until after about 3,000 miles & then I regularly returned 36+ mpg and up to 40+ on a run if driven like a vicar. 😬

That said, when I took out a B3 XC40 back in December for a couple of hours I averaged 38.5 mpg according to the trip computer and I was slinging it about on the country lanes. It was mixed driving including town, B roads & motorways and ( for a Volvo!) I thought not too bad especially as the car only had 1,500 miles on it. I’ve always found they do loosen up a bit after approx 3,000 miles or so. Would much rather have the good old 2.0 D4 euro 6 engine though as I can easily get 60+ mpg on a run without even trying.

EmBee
                          Participant

I’ve just ordered a B3Plus Dark to replace a much loved R Line Tech Tiguan we have had for 5 years this month.  Have been prevaricating as really did not want to spend £3K AP to try and get as close to the R Line Tech spec as possible. With the addition of spare wheel and blacked out windows, the XC40 will cost me £2K, minus the New Car allowance of £750, so £1200 for a lot of car – and comfortable lumbar support which is the most important thing for me. It feels dark inside  compared to the Tiguan with the wide windows and pano roof, but first world problems.

I am nervous of the MPG I will get as I am used to the 40-50 I get in the diesel Tiguan, but I barely managed 25 in a hired Qashqai recently, so I am hoping for nearer 30 than 20.

If you are in the M4 corridor/Thames Valley area I recommend the service from Adrian at Waylands Newbury – very straightforward,  pragmatic guy, happy to deal with me/ offered immediate appointments and test drives,  despite being the lowest form of customer, a  Motability customer,  and clear instructions on what to bring to put the order through.  Ive been told 3-4 months, as long as it is on the 24 plate I am happy and I get to enjoy the spec on my Tiguan for a few more months !

In stark contrast to dismissive manner  from sales team I encountered in Waylands Swindon, which I do not recommend.

1961keightley
                            Participant

Our xc40 t4 r design is 4 1/2 years old has been a great car with only softwear updates being problematic but that was solved 2nd service

Participant

Sounds good. I think your mpg expectations are probably realistic too. I’m coming from a diesel also & can’t say I’m relishing the probable mpg over my usual 60+ mpg on a run.

i think 3-4 months is highly optimistic sadly. Check out the “Bristol Port” thread on the XC40 forums for info on that. Customers have been waiting many months so far – I’ve already waited almost 2 months since ordering & zero updates on any progress, not even a build date as of yet. I’ve not had any good experiences of a Waylands group dealer over the years so it’s good to hear there is possibly one in the group that treats customers properly. 😊

Ellyr5
                                Participant

Embee, it’s good to know you had a good experience like mine too, I couldn’t fault ours at all, I felt equal to every other valued customer and nothing was too much trouble for Ben our advisor. I loved my test drive and the lumbar support, heated deterring wheel and the seat extensions are great for me.

Sunflower12
                                  Participant

Good morning, just wondered if anyone on here can provide any assistance/insight relating to my order placed on 020124, for a Volvo XC40. Today, I emailed the dealership for an update on whether I had been allocated a build slot-and to cut a long story short, the dealership has written that Motability orders are treated differently to private sales whereby private sales would be given a build date almost immediately yet the dealership is sitting on 30 orders-all yet to be given a build slot-and, to boot, the dealership has said they are unable to provide information as such is held internally at Volvo-but that everything should be alright and they will chase to keep an eye, periodically. I’ve been a Motability customer for 36 years and to my knowledge, have never had this happen to me before.

Any advice greatly received, thank you.

jOhn
                                    Participant

Did the dealership actually put that in writing @sunflower12?  That could breach the Equality Act 2010.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by jOhn.
                                      Participant

I honestly don’t have a clue whether what your dealer said is true or not.

However …

Regularly reading up on the “Bristol Port” thread on the UK Volvo XC40 forum I can totally believe it. There are people on there that ordered cars back in August/September 2023 that still have not received any proper (true!) updates on their orders. They have researched and found more accurate updates than Volvo UK or their dealer network have been able to provide.

I placed my order about a month before you did and I’ve had zero communication from my dealer so far, I doubt they have any information to be honest. Since Volvo UK changed over to an agency model a while back this seems to be the case. USELESS!!

Many on the XC40 forum have cancelled their order and have gone elsewhere. I test drove an Alfa Romeo Tonale today with a view of doing the same, sadly the seats were far too firm for myself. I could have taken delivery within 8 weeks otherwise.

Phoned my dealer this afternoon, no reply as yet. Fed up!!

Sunflower12
                                        Participant

Yes, @jOhn it’s written within an email-I am going to investigate further today. The “Bristol Port” thread is insightful, although rather alarming. I have looked at alternative vehicles, but cannot find anything that better suits my needs, that is Petrol and with a sensible AP for the same specification of the XC40.

jOhn
                                          Participant

Yes, @jOhn it’s written within an email-I am going to investigate further today. The “Bristol Port” thread is insightful, although rather alarming. I have looked at alternative vehicles, but cannot find anything that better suits my needs, that is Petrol and with a sensible AP for the same specification of the XC40.

@sunflower12
                                            – Do you mind if I tweet an anonymised screenshot of your post to the Head of Press at Volvo.  I am 99% certain it breaches the Equality Act 2010 as it is discrimination arising from disability. Volvo have now switched to the ‘agency’ model so it is Volvo who seem to be responsible.  Emailed someone for confirmation that my thinking is correct.  We shouldn’t be treated as scum by dealerships because there is a negotiated price for our vehicles – it’s the same for fleet vehicles and there is no downside for fleets.

Every single person who is a Motability customer is a disabled person or a appointee for a disabled person.

Agree the Bristol thread is alarming, I also advised someone in my patient group to look at the XC40 which they ordered at a delaership yesterday and was told delivery would be in June.

I ordered a couple of weeks ago as was told between 3 and 6 months but probably would arrive in 4.  I just accepted it would be six months and if it comes quicker, that’s fine.

Sunflower12
                                            Participant

@jOhn I don’t want you to do that, so don’t give my permission. I am currently dealing with it myself and think it better to come from me directly. But thank you for offering.

jOhn
                                              Participant

@jOhn I don’t want you to do that, so don’t give my permission. I am currently dealing with it myself and think it better to come from me directly. But thank you for offering.

No problem @Sunflower12.

Participant

Anybody, whose ordered a car, had any recent updates from their dealer on delivery time yet?

Ordered mine first week of December and dealer called about 3 weeks ago to say that car should be here by June .. hopefully!! .. and it will definitely be a MY24 car and NOT a MY25 version unless I were to cancel and reorder and then expect delivery by September at the earliest! Naturally I kept my order as it was.

I see that over on the XC40 forums some members are finally getting vehicles they ordered back in August and September last year but others who ordered around that time are still waiting. Volvo not looking good on the keeping customers informed front really, abysmal in fact. ☹️

Sunflower12
                                                  Participant

I ordered my XC40 mild hybrid early January 2024, advised via email yesterday, still on track for early/mid April 2024.

Participant

I ordered my XC40 mild hybrid early January 2024, advised via email yesterday, still on track for early/mid April 2024.

Good to know, hopefully your dealer is correct. 😊👍

Sunflower12
                                                      Participant

Let’s wait and see…..

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 76 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.