Volkswagen Tiguan range gains two more petrol powertrains

• Creator
    Topic
  • #140473 Reply
    solent60
    Participant

Volkswagen has expanded the Tiguan’s engine range with two more petrol units, both of which use the same turbocharged 2.0-litre four-cylinder engine found in the Skoda Superb and Volkswagen Golf GTI. Both models are on sale now, with prices starting from £36,275.

The more powerful engine is the same unit found in the Volkswagen Golf GTI, although it’s been mated to a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic gearbox and four-wheel-drive system in the Tiguan. It generates 242bhp and 370Nm of torque, which Volkswagen says delivers a 0-62mph time of 6.0 seconds and a top speed of 142mph.

There’s a price to pay for the performance, though. Given the power on offer it’s no surprise that, with the exception of the Tiguan R, it’s the least efficient model in the SUV’s line-up. Claimed fuel economy stands at 32.1mpg with CO2 emissions of 200g/km.

The other 2.0 TSI engine option that has been added to the range offers 187bhp and 320Nm of torque, which gives this model a 0-62mph time 7.4 seconds and a top speed of 133mph.

This lower power output means it’s slightly more efficient, especially when paired with Volkswagen’s R-Line trim level, with VW claiming 34.1mpg and CO2 emissions of 189g/km.

The 187bhp Elegance model comes as standard with 19-inch alloy wheels, Matrix LED headlights, a panoramic sunroof and adaptive cruise control. Inside, there’s a pair of heated front seats, a customisable ambient lighting system, a 10.25-inch digital gauge cluster and an eight-inch touchscreen infotainment system.

The 242bhp unit is only available in Volkswagen’s range-topping R-Line specification, with prices starting from £39,560. Upgrades over Elegance trim include 20-inch alloy wheels, a slightly more aggressive body kit, a larger tailgate spoiler and sports suspension, which drops the SUV’s ride height by around 10mm.

Interior upgrades include sports seats, stainless steel pedals, R-Line-branded floor mats and black headlining. There’s also some extra driver assistance technology, such as Volkswagen’s semi-autonomous Travel Assist system. Buyers can also opt for the less powerful 2.0 TSI engine in R-Line specification, for £36,140.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #140479 Reply
    comfortablynumb
    Participant

Glos Guy’s head will explode at this news 🙂

#140488 Reply
    PraxxtorCruel
    Participant

I imagine the mpg will be pretty poor on the 190ps for city driving. The tiguan is a heavy car plus 4motion and dsg will make it thirsty. The 200ps TDI would’ve been perfect.

#140493 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

The 187bhp 2.0L should work very well in the Tiguan. Similarly the 242bhp one – although the latter is a bit pricey for me and will obviously never make it on scheme. Wonder whether the smaller 2.0L will make it? Moreover, if they put the 187bhp in the Golf it would fill a gaping hole in the model range and I’d have one in a moment!

#140511 Reply
    NewYork1
    Participant

I’ve also noticed you can now get the colour kings red. Its a slight premium over normal metalic. This might help those who thought the colour pallette a little dull.

Current car VW Touran SEL

#140518 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Glos Guy’s head will explode at this news 🙂

Well, not quite 😂. Still a dull car, but if the 190PS 2.0 TSi Elegance makes it onto the scheme it will be the only car on my shortlist that ticks every box (apart from the poor colour choice). Same kit as the 1.5 but with 40PS more power, better torque and the addition of 4WD in return for around 5mpg worse economy, which is a trade off I would make for all those extra benefits. When it was believed that this car was going to come on the scheme in Q4 it was provisionally listed at £2,499 AP which, IF it does materialise on the scheme and IF it is at that price it would be good value. However, two big ‘if’s’ there and Motability has a tendency to disappoint!

#140522 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Oh I say, didn’t spot the 4×4 bit. Makes it climb near top of list, even though I don’t like SUVs! Had a similar VAG engine/drive/gearbox setup in a Superb (engine was Diesel) and it was brilliant. Guess it’ll be better with the smoother petrol lump.

#140524 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

I should have said that the one big negative with the Tiguan is the lack of leather trim as standard (pretty poor for a car approaching £40k) and the ludicrous price of it as an option (over £1500]. We swallowed the cost of it with our current one as my wife was still driving and the electric driver seat with memory (which is packaged with it) was useful when we were both driving. However, my wife has had to stop driving now and we wouldn’t pay that just for the leather, especially as it isn’t great quality and only the facings are actual leather. The issue might be that my wife gets in by sitting on the side of the seat and swinging around, which is easier on leather.

#140537 Reply
    MickC

The new 190ps TSI engine is available in the T-Roc on the VW config,this could/should make its way onto the scheme,as the older version or version that was removed from the list of VW and Seat (Ateca).

#140543 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

The new 190ps TSI engine is available in the T-Roc on the VW config,this could/should make its way onto the scheme,as the older version or version that was removed from the list of VW and Seat (Ateca).

The Tiguan 2.0TSi is also on the VW Configurator now (it was yesterday).

#141123 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

New updated price list and specification guide published on the VW UK website today, which includes the new 2.0TSi 190PS 4WD versions. Obviously these have yet to appear on the Motability scheme but they would appear to be eligible.

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/files/live/sites/vwuk/files/pdf/Brochures/new-tiguan-brochure-pricelist-p11d.pdf

#141137 Reply
    John Morris

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Glos Guy. Has it got to be a Tiguan especially? The Ateca we are getting has full leather seats, heated in the front and the drivers is fully electric as well. And as you probably know the Ateca is very closely related to the Tiguan. Ours is only the FR Sport as well with auto for only 1099.The excellence lux has more standard kit as well.</p>

#141139 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Glos Guy. Has it got to be a Tiguan especially? The Ateca we are getting has full leather seats, heated in the front and the drivers is fully electric as well. And as you probably know the Ateca is very closely related to the Tiguan. Ours is only the FR Sport as well with auto for only 1099.The excellence lux has more standard kit as well.</p>

Hi John. I’m certainly not wedded to the Tiguan. I find them to be quite dull cars and, having had 4 of them over the years, I quite fancy a change! The reason that we keep getting them is because I compile a list of the features that I consider to be essential and preferable and then check all my shortlisted cars against them. If they haven’t got the features as standard, I then add the option prices to the AP to see how the prices compare.

The Tiguan Elegance has pretty much everything as standard except leather seats. Cars like the RAV4, CR-V and Tucson eliminate themselves as you cannot add options, so I can’t get the spec right. However, the other important area where the Tiguan scores is interior space, as it’s quite Tardis like. It certainly feels significantly more spacious than the XC40, Q3, X1 and Merc GLA. As my wife uses a wheelchair, that’s an important factor for us and anything with a smaller boot would be problematic for us. To be honest, I haven’t really consider the Ateca on the basis that Seat, like Skoda, is a budget brand in the VW stable and having had mostly premium cars like BMW’s over the years, even VW feels a step down! However, I will take the blinkers off and take a look (on paper at least, as that’s all we can do). The one car that seems to be stacking up quite well against the Tiguan is the new Kuga, but that would be a diesel which my wife is keen to move away from!

In all honesty, I can see us extending our current lease, at least initially. We specced our current Tiguan with leather and it’s the 190PS 4WD version, which you can no longer get on the scheme.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: Volkswagen Tiguan range gains two more petrol powertrains
Your information: