Under 25's

This topic contains 5 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Stewart 1 week, 2 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #68375 Reply

Stewart

Just thought the current situation for Motability customers under 25 deserved it’s own thread.

My son who is under 25 will be renewing soon. Unfortunately the cars he had set his heart on are no longer available to him as for whatever reason Thatcham have increased the insurance groups quite substantially. I contacted Motability regarding this, their reply was –

“To ensure the Motability Scheme is affordable for all our Customers, the cars available are reviewed every three months and there are currently no plans to change the terms and conditions regarding the ABI Insurance Group and brakehorse power (BHP) for young drivers.”

He doesn’t have a problem with BHP, but being restricted to group 16 means that cars like what he has at the moment are out of his reach such as a 1.0 litre Audi A3 114 BHP or Mercedes A Class.

The big problem is, every time a new model comes out the insurance group goes up due to price increases, technology etc.

He’s a big lad at 6’4″ and not every car is suitable. It’s not always about the car being large, it’s more about being able to push the drivers seat far enough back.

Surely something needs to be looked at.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #68380 Reply

TheSUVGuy

Being an u25 driver myself I’ve tried and tried and tried again to get them to look at their rules, cars are changing as you’ve said and it’s only going to get more limited as new models come out, we’ve seen this with the Peugeot 3008/5008 and the A class. They gave me the same response as they did to you.

#68486 Reply

Stewart

Now we have the idiots at Thatcham upping the 114 bhp Audi A1 to group 20!

#70342 Reply

Stewart

Well today we went around the dealers with our 19 year old whose Motability car is due to be replaced in May. He currently drives a VW Golf GT Edition 1.6 diesel which is a lovely car and fully loaded.

As this model is no longer available and he now wants an automatic his choice is very limited, he’s also 6’4″ and some cars just don’t have the legroom. First we went to a VW dealer and discovered that no suitable cars were available as he did like the T-Roc. Next door is an Audi dealership and he loved the new A1 which surprised us that as a small car it did accommodate him with front leg room. Surprise surprise, despite being a 1.0L with 114 BHP it is group 20 so again he can’t have it. Our next port of call was the local Seat dealership. He sat in the Ateca but it’s not really a young person’s car and the people at the garage couldn’t be bothered to speak with us. We left and travelled to the BMW dealer that we use. They always have time for us but the seats in the 1 series don’t go back far enough, so that was a no. Finally we went to the Ford dealers and he looked at the Focus ST Line X which he likes but not as much as the A1. The Ford costs more and has 120 BHP so why the difference.

It’s quite sad really that after visiting so many dealerships he is down to a choice of one car. Someone seriously needs to take a look at these insurance groups.

#70355 Reply

DBtruth

Has your son had a look at the Audi Q2? If he likes the t-roc he might like it as they look pretty similar.

#70392 Reply

Stewart

Yes he has but wasn’t keen on it which did surprise me. He said it looked like a crushed 4×4.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Under 25's

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: