Under 25's being squeezed out

This topic contains 83 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Fergal 23 hours, 47 minutes ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #55240 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

The criteria for under 25’s is the vehicle (excluding some vans) must be insurance group 16 of less and brake horse power of 120 or less.

It’s been brought to our attention that new cars are having their insurance group raised, with the increase in safety equipment, autonomous braking etc and security we are at a little loss as to how these are calculated, we understand that Thatcham https://www.thatcham.org/ grade the cars from 1-50 but how can an old A Class Merc 180d SE be group 13 and the new car insurance group 20 and the old Ford Focus 1.5 diesel be two points lower than the new one?

In fairness to Motability the new Focus 1.5 diesel Zetec is 17 with Thatcham but they have reduced it to 16 so under 25’s can get it which is obviously a good thing.

Viewing 8 replies - 76 through 83 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #86435 Reply
    Lurk

Jean, which car was this?

Were you able to convince motability to insure the car even if RSA agreed?

Looks like motability can increase the insurance group and bhp limits afterall.

#86476 Reply
    Wazza
    Participant

Funny that. I was talking to motability few days ago and they told me RSA set the rules.

#87182 Reply
    Jean

Soooo, I didn’t actually get round to contacting Motability but my initial contact was through the RSA Twitter private messaging feature that I got this response. I have read about this in the past as well and Motability blaming RSA and vice versa. Hopefully, someone has a chat with both RSA and Motability and see where we all stand.

#87686 Reply
    Chris

Well, this is a revelation. I thought it was always RSA that had an issue with the Under 25’s but it is basically Motability’s choice. Anyone got in touch with them yet?

#87720 Reply
    Fergal

Well I’m 23 and have been on the motability scheme since 17 and I’m due to change my car again in November and I have been driving golfs since I started and I’m on my second golf at the minute

But I’ve looked now and I’m not fit to get a golf this time again as the all the automatic golfs are 148hp and I need automatic as I drive with hand controls but the manual golfs come under 148hp so under 25 can drive manual but manual is no good to me and I’ve been speaking to motability and the only option they giving me is to extend my lease

so at the minute I’m either going to extend my lease or I might just return my golf in November and go and buy myself a used car and then I can get whatever I want it’s probably madness as I’ll have to pay full price for the adaptions and the prices they charge are ridiculous but anyway there’s a few cars I’d like but you never have them on motability

but it I personally think motability should increase hp to 150 and insurance group to 20 and look at driving history as you’ve good drivers and terrible drivers it doesn’t matter what age they

us under 25’s aren’t looking for powerful cars we just looking motability to increase the hp limit and insurance group

well at the minute there is 2000 cars on the scheme and once you put in under 25 it drops to 690 so the rate it’s going soon won’t be any under 25’s on the scheme

#87721 Reply
    Wazza
    Participant

Fergal.. must you stick with golf? Have a look at Suzuki Vitara auto which is £299 or if you want to stick with vw group then look at seat ateca. Through these are suv type cars but there are other normal cars that will fill your needs.

Buying used you got the hassle of high insurance, maintenance etc.

#87742 Reply
    Wazza
    Participant

Fergal… Focus st line,. Merc b class and Audi q2 is available for under 25s…..

#87767 Reply
    Fergal

I’d like to stick with what I know as the golf has suited me the best for getting in and out and the seats too and any of the high vehicles no good for me as I wouldn’t be fit to get into them with my disability

but it funny to think I’ve less  choice now than when I started driving at 17

i say I’ll just end up extending my lease to be honest

Viewing 8 replies - 76 through 83 (of 83 total)
Reply To: Under 25's being squeezed out

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: