UK cars will have to be ‘retrofitted’ with new ‘mandatory’ speed limiter

• This topic has 34 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by kezo.
Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Harrysback
    Participant

About time.

Please let it be so.

Adrian
      Participant

Isn’t this just the bings and bongs when you exceed the limit, which can be disabled and absolutely won’t be retrofitted?

"Come on BYD Seal!"
        Oscarmax
        Participant

UK cars will have to be ‘retrofitted’ with new ‘mandatory’ speed limiter before July A driving law change which could see European Union speed limiters installed in cars will crack down on the number of accidents and speeding fines, it is hoped. https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/uk-cars-retrofitted-new-mandatory-29123879

I am 100% in favour, these safety features are already fitted to our current Suzuki Across including the mandatory black box, I would imagine the mandatory software is already embedded with the vehicle ECU. Mobility if they so wish could opt to switch the data on

If you disable these safety feature they will be recorded and stored in the black box, at service time the dealership/manufacture will be able to access the data and pass their finding on to both Mobility and their insures

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Oscarmax.
          kezo
          Participant

Cars built after 2022 have these speed limiters turned off by default, requiring the driver to turn them on. From July this year the speed limiters will be turned on by default and if the driver wishes to turn it off, they will have to do so each time they start the car (similar to lane keep assist)

As @Adrian suggests it refers to the annoying “Bing Bong” when you go over the speed limit.

We all know the speedo is designed by default to over read the actual speed you are doing!

Oscarmax
            Participant

Kezo there is however a slight problem considering my Suzuki is built by Toyota, my speed sensor, sign recognition and microwave front distance sensor are pretty hit and miss, they cannot in anyway be relied on. I have been on some dual carriageway and vehicle still showing 30mph, the road sign are obscured by overhanging branches, plus this microwave front collision sensor (if engaged) in my humble opinion is dangerous sometimes it works but the majority time it does not.

Rich44
              Participant

Don’t see the point when it’s set by the driver. For example the MG HS I’m driving has an overspeed setting controlled by the driver.

If it was going to be legally enforced road traffic sign speed likitets that’s one thing but it seems what they’re going on about is pointless

Oscarmax
                Participant

Rich44 can you imagine my vehicle could be travelling down a fast 60mph dual carriageway at 30mph due the  speed limiter, I am all for it if the sensors worked correctly and the road signs were not obstructed.

Participant

Well I keep at speed level anyway car does that by reading road speed limits, so maybe it will keep speeds down ,for those screaming past all the time ,,but motorways should be 80

Adrian
                    Participant

As long as it comes with a minimum speed as well then I’m all for it 👍🏻🙄

"Come on BYD Seal!"
                      kezo
                      Participant

Kezo there is however a slight problem considering my Suzuki is built by Toyota, my speed sensor, sign recognition and microwave front distance sensor are pretty hit and miss, they cannot in anyway be relied on. I have been on some dual carriageway and vehicle still showing 30mph, the road sign are obscured by overhanging branches, plus this microwave front collision sensor (if engaged) in my humble opinion is dangerous sometimes it works but the majority time it does not.

It requires gps and speed sign recognition and will be “intelligent” however, guess most car speed sign recognition are hit and miss at times.

https://road-safety-charter.ec.europa.eu/resources-knowledge/media-and-press/intelligent-speed-assistance-isa-set-become-mandatory-across

Participant

My Kuga was terrible on M6 when nearside behind barriers had road works with as 10mph site limit and a 50mph ;limit in outer lanes. It would keep seeing the 10mph signs and try to default to it. Instantly turned it off after it trying to slow down rapidly.

Cars On Motability
                          2009 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso
                          2012 Vauxhall Antara
                          2013 Skoda Superb Estate
                          2016 Seat Alhambra
                          2020 Seat Tarraco
                          2021 Ford Kuga
                          2024 Nissan X-Trail

DumfriesDik
                          Participant

On the local A75 we have two speed limit signs. National speed limit and a reminder 40mph for lorries.

And guess what? Yup, my travel assist picks up the 40 sign and slams on the breaks, annoying it is.

Retro fitting will not happen, it’s not viable to do so.

VW ID3 Max is my DD

Rico
                            Participant

sign reading tech in cars is not in a good place to do this yet, and some dont even read it by road signs and rather maps, which is well and good until road works are in place, or you go down the a2 to dover a 70 road and every junction has a 30 sign that the car picks up as speed for a mile or too, there will be cars jack rabbiting on 70 roads like crazy lol.

Participant

My mercedes cla 180 sb is very good in that field,that part  works well , I read and are told kia sportage gts hev is also exellent ,the voice recognition was ify ,now they have sorted that ,but got to use correct phrases such as ,SEAT WARMERS ON /OFF. not heated seats .

Participant

Having driven several cars in test drives over the past few months that have this useless tech running automatically I wouldn’t touch a car like that with a barge pole unless it can be switched off.

These ridiculous “driver aids” will make the roads a far more dangerous place especially with our dangerous roads with deep potholes everywhere and poor road surfaces in general. Having your car slowed down for you because you were going 34 in a 30 with another car in your tailgate certainly ain’t going to improve road safety. Having the steering wheel jerked out of your hands as you try to avoid a 4 inch deep crater on the road is not going to improve road safety.

The “people” behind all this nonsense don’t want us driving full stop hence all these stupid diktats in the deceitful name of safety. They want to make driving as miserable an experience as possible so that people just give up trying to cross barrier after barrier.

Ele
                                  Participant

I used new ‘mandatory’ speed limiter on the road and became public enemy number one
                                    Speed limiters will be fitted into new cars in the UK from July and the technology will have the power to warn and even prevent drivers from speeding

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/black-country/used-new-mandatory-speed-limiter-29109788

kezo
                                    Participant

The press can’t help but put their own spin on things “it will prevent you going any faster or it will slow you down” which is total BS!

Infact the European Road Safety Charter specifically states:

“The ISA system is required to work with the driver and not to restrict his/her possibility to act in any moment during driving. The driver is always in control and can easily override the ISA system.

The ISA regulation provides four options for systems feedback to the driver, from which car manufacturers will be free to choose from:

Cascaded acoustic warning
                                      Cascaded vibrating warning
                                      Haptic feedback through the acceleration pedal
                                      Speed control function

The first two feedback options do not directly intervene but only provide warnings (first optic and if no response from the driver, a delayed acoustic/vibrating warning), which have to be as short as possible in duration to avoid potential annoyance of the driver.

The other “possible” feedback relies on the pedal restoring force – it will push the driver’s foot gently back to make the driver aware and help to slow down. The driver can ignore this feedback and override the system by pushing slightly harder on the acceleration pedal. Even in the case of speed control function, where the car speed will be automatically gently reduced, the system can be smoothly overridden by the driver by pressing the accelerator pedal a little bit deeper.”

At no point will it overide or restrict the drivers inyentions. However it will serve to  make the the driver more nervious with the additional Bing Bongs! The system will also be on by default requiring the driver to turn it off rather than on.

I can’t find anything on the DfT website, regarding whether they are actually going ahead with it from July.

Adrian
                                      Participant

It’s generic copy and paste “journalism” to be filed in the bin

"Come on BYD Seal!"
                                        Ele
                                        Participant

Brits given one week warning ahead of new speed limit law that will ‘change how we drive

https://www.ladbible.com/news/uk-news/new-speed-limit-law-cars-964882-20240624

kezo
                                          Participant

Brits given one week warning ahead of new speed limit law that will ‘change how we drive https://www.ladbible.com/news/uk-news/new-speed-limit-law-cars-964882-20240624

When it comes to methods in which your car will prohibit you from speeding, the speed limiters can work in one of three ways: advisory, supportive or intervening.

An advisory ISA will present drivers with a warning symbol if they exceed the speed limit.
                                            A supportive system will increase upward pressure on the accelerator pedal, making it harder to increase your speed.
                                            The most extensive of the three is a mandatory speed assist, which will reduce engine power if you are speeding, allowing for a gradual reduction in speed.

The third one is the only one that intervenes on my MY2025  Tucson, if that function is turned on. The first two, seem to just flash the speed sign recognition and beep’s a couple of times. I have managed to get mine to stay off once set to off. ‘Can’t remember which but, there are other makes with a physical button that turns it off untill the driver decides to turn it on.

Rich44
                                            Participant

In the past I’ve found that adaptive cruise control and the intelligent speed limiter are not compatible so just turning the ACC on disabled the speed limiter I’m sure that won’t be the case going forward but with cars getting silly powerful these features are actually quite useful. Not having to worry about whether you’re accidentally speeding is actually quite relaxing and frees up concentration for other tasks like avoiding morons lol

Adrian
                                              Participant

It’s generic copy and paste “journalism” to be filed in the bin

"Come on BYD Seal!"
                                                ChrisK
                                                Participant
                                                  AKX
                                                  Participant

This is a joke, we should be able to decide how we drive our own vehicles that we purchase, forcing a speed limiter is ridiculous, not everyone is a bad driver and we should be allowed to have fun off road.

wmcforum
                                                    Which Mobility Car

Good news:

‘Despite this sweeping change across the EU, Great Britain has decided not to implement the regulation.’

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.