Tv and Firestick Question

• Creator
    Topic
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

I suppose this is a question for you @kezo.

Still enjoying the Hisense TV you recommended so thank you.

Yesterday evening my youngest wanted to watch the England under 21’s play, which was being streamed on Youtube. I put the match on via the Firestick 4K max attached to the TV, the picture did not seem to be great so I put it on through the Hisense youtube app to see if it was the stream and low and behold the picture quality was 10 times that of the Firestick.  I suppose my question is two fold: have I set up my fire stick incorrectly and everything I watch will be of a lower quality or is this just the youtube app and is there anything I can do to fix the problem?

Yours in curiosity,

WMC

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Jojoe
      Participant

I have the opposite when using the Firestick. Amazon, YouTube and Netflix are far superior on the Firestick Max compared to the equivalent apps on  the Sky Q box. Could you try a different HDMI socket on the TV, they are not all HDMI 2 on some TV’s? Also, try playing with the video resolution and colour depth settings on the Firestick.

wmcforum
        Which Mobility Car

Cheers Jojoe. I am tinkering now. Having looked back into the under 21 match it was streamed on YouTube in HD 1080 and the difference watching through the TV native app may be that it was upscaled.  As may be quite obvious, I know nothing.

kezo
          Participant

Yes YouTube HD will be upscaled by the TV, to near 4k but so should a Firestick.

Do you have a 4k Firestick?

wmcforum
            Which Mobility Car

Do you have a 4k Firestick?

Not only 4k, but 4k Max!

wmcforum
              Which Mobility Car

Tv is 55A7GQTUK

Firestick is in hdmi number 2

kezo
                Participant

Just re-read and noticed you had 4k Firestick sorry,

First things to try:

Try a different HDMI port (not the eArc port)

On the Firestickset  – 4k resolution to Automatic – Match frame rate to Enabled – HDR to Adaptive.

How is content normally when using the Firestick?

kezo
                  Participant

Are you using an external power source to power the stick and have a good reliable Wifi connection.

wmcforum
                    Which Mobility Car

Yes. Power supply to Firestick is the plug supplied. Good WiFi. Changed the above as requested and now using hdmi number 1. One question? Colour depth. 8, 10 or 12?

The Firestick has always been okay, never really wow but it takes a lot these days for a wow. Functional is happiness.

kezo
                      Participant

LED TV’s including yours have 8 bit + FRC coulour depth = artificial 10bit

Firestick set 8 bit with the view of trying 10 bit later.

Jojoe
                        Participant

Yes. Power supply to Firestick is the plug supplied.

I power my Firestick Max from the USB port on the TV, simply plug the Firestick USB cable into the socket, saves running a long cable behind the TV. But don’t try it till you’ve sorted your image quality issues out.

There’s defo a big difference in image quality between Sky and the new Firestick.

kezo
                          Participant

Yes. Power supply to Firestick is the plug supplied.

I power my Firestick Max from the USB port on the TV, simply plug the Firestick USB cable into the socket, saves running a long cable behind the TV. But don’t try it till you’ve sorted your image quality issues out. There’s defo a big difference in image quality between Sky and the new Firestick.

Make sure your TV has at least the same rated output as the Firestick needs 5v 1000mA (1 Amp) or could burn out your TV’s USB board.

Tere are speciality USB to Micro USB cables that enhances power transmission fro a TV such as the Fire cable plus or generic.

kezo
                            Participant

@wmcforum did it work?

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.