Trading in your own car.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  rox 1 month ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #114646 Reply

ghjd19y9
    Participant
    1. I’m new to the scheme as my son just had his PIP decision. I’ve contacted my local VW dealer and decided on  a Tiguan. The dealership said they’d take my 61 plate Golf as part ex against the advance payment but they’d just be putting it in a local auction. So rather than getting a normal low book price it’s totally down to who wants my car on the day. I could easily end up with less than a £1000. Has anyone else had this type of treatment?
Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #114651 Reply

BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

Welcome. 😁

The short answer is yes. But I think your dealer meant they will give you bottom book as the trade in price and then sell on.

I don’t think they meant they’d auction it on your behalf. I have never heard of that. I PX’d my car in on my X1 and was given a low but fair price by the dealer. They then sent it to  auction.

Either way, I suggest double checking with the dealer.

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#114655 Reply

ghjd19y9
    Participant

I’d never heard of it either but that is exactly what I’ve been told. My Golf isn’t worth a fortune it’s true but it’s one that parks itself and returns over 50mpg. The low book is £2250 and I thought it would easily cover the £1750 advance. I was told it’s better to go to We buy any car..what sort of service is that?

#114660 Reply

BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

Then that’s truly rubbish service. What part of ‘Part Exchange’ don’t they understand? The kids abbreviation would be CBA. Can’t Be Arsed!

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#114676 Reply

Philjb
    Participant

It is likely due to them just opening up again and they don’t want used cars stored until auctions open again?

Try another dealer we px’d our touran with Vw and it paid our AP and we got the balance paid immediately.
    They even included the £600 discount available at the time.

Tiguan fan boy

#114688 Reply

rox
    Participant

sounds like abit of waffle, Truth is you trading a car in for one you leasing via mb and i reckon you’d get more if you sell it privately as it’s 9 years old and they won’t sell it on their lot..

so them sending it to auction sounds about right.. how much will wbac give you (not that i’d use them) offered £40 years ago for a car i sold for £450 myself.. but might give an idea of the lowest price..

I never heard of them selling it then aftercgiving you money sound like they don’t want to say they don’t want it.. unless you give it to them and they can deffo make there money back easy..

#114739 Reply

Ian M

I had this very thing with Ford.
    First Motability car and identified the Kuga as perfect for our needs. Existing car was a Volvo S40 and didn’t want the hassle of selling privately so wanted to trade it in.

Fords in Kendall, Cumbria said exactly as previously mentioned. Wouldn’t give a trade in price but said they would put it through auction and what ever they got we would receive back. Didn’t accept this offer as it seemed very uncertain.

Phoned Ford garage in Liverpool where we have family and told over the phone  the trade in price, deducted the AP from that and gave us a cheque back for the balance. Guess which garage got our business.

#114741 Reply

Ghjd19y9
    1. Yes I’m thinking about going to England to ask the VW dealerships there if they’ll give a better deal. I did a We buy any car valuation and it wasn’t too bad but the hassle of doing that rather than handing over the keys when I pick up my new car is obvious. In these days of very uncertain job security I’d have thought our guaranteed payments would carry more weight?
    #114742 Reply

ChrisK
    Participant

I had the same trying to trade in my nearly 4 year old Golf and in the end went to WBAC.

What I get the impression of is it’s a chore for the dealer so they really don’t want to know but because Motability say you can use your own car towards the AP on a Motability car but they begrudge buying your car.

Whereas in the OP case the car is of the same franchises, with mine, although the car not being very old at the time, it was a different manufactures car and at first thought that’s why they didn’t really want to know after asking time and time again for a price but now see its simply because they can’t be bothered, much like we get sometimes when enquiring about cars.

Just as a side note, in today’s news there’s talk of massive lay-offs in cars sales personal so wonder if we might get more attentive service now.

One last note about WBAC, they bough my car for about, I would say, £500 or £600 below what I could have got elsewhere but I required a quick sale and the car itself required a service and at least one new tyre so was happy to let a few hundred go as being disabled its a chore to sort that stuff out myself.

#114780 Reply

rox
    Participant
    1. Yes I’m thinking about going to England to ask the VW dealerships there if they’ll give a better deal. I did a We buy any car valuation and it wasn’t too bad but the hassle of doing that rather than handing over the keys when I pick up my new car is obvious. In these days of very uncertain job security I’d have thought our guaranteed payments would carry more weight?

When i got my 1st car on the scheme, I left my car at home and got a taxi to the dealers after getting a train and staying the night at my then girlfriend’s house (who now my wife) Then after i had taken my private plate off, I then sold it.

Just about to get that plate on my new one which hopefully i’ll picking up on monday..at 11am

Most dealers you’ll have to actually visit them twice once on ordering then for collection but if you saving enough to make it worth it.. Then all is good if not then closer it is the better.

Best deal before lockdown was £600 from JCT hull on a tig but no offers about yet only £500 from one bmw dealer in scunthorpe. Sure more deals will come soon..

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: Trading in your own car.

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: