Toyota Corolla Touring Sports

• Creator
    Topic
  • #141876 Reply
    Adrian

We’ve just been given this as a courtesy car after a nasty incident in our Kuga

M1 southbound, the fuel line broke, squirting 50 litres of diesel into the engine bay in about a minute. One minute we had a full tank, the next we were coasting to a dead stop with huge clouds of smoke coming out from under the bonnet. I dread to think of what might have happened had it been petrol. If you were held up by the recovery of a smoky Kuga last week, sorry 😞

Anyway, we were given a 1.8 Corolla estate, in Icon Tech trim, until the Kuga is repaired and decontaminated as most of the diesel is still in the car, effectively jetwashed into every nook and cranny

I wasn’t really expecting great things as I’m not a big fan of hybrids in general, I’d heard horror stories about their economy on the motorway, and I strongly believe that CVT gearboxes only belong on dustbin lorries and buses

So after 1000 miles in this “thing” you’d expect we can’t wait to get rid of it, right?

Spoiler alert: we don’t want the Kuga back!

So, a few points in order. The styling. I’ve always liked the styling of the latest Corolla in estate form. Sure it’s bland, but then so are the stars of TOWIE and look how much adulation they get. I do think it’s a looker in its own right, and I think the only reason it doesn’t get more attention is because people think they are only bought by Uber drivers. But I like it, so there

The seats are a bit too thinly padded and took quite a long while before I found comfort in them, but once I hit the sweet spot, I could drive it all day

The performance of the 1.8 is a bit woeful but you don’t buy cars like this if you’re a boy racer, and there is 2.0 available with a big performance – and price- increase. But thanks to the electric motor, throttle response is instantaneous. Not like non-turbo petrol instantaneous, but literally, quantum lengths of a fraction of a second instantaneous. It leaps away from the lights for the first couple of seconds, even if the petrol unit doesn’t kick in. On the motorway there is enough oomph – just – to make overtaking easy, but it’s never going to win any prizes

I’m this guise, Icon Tech – the second cheapest model in the Motability line up – has radar cruise control which is magic – I’ve never had a car with this before and I now consider it a deal  breaker – reversing camera and front and back parking sensors. I think it comes with park assist too but I never use it anyway. It also came with CarPlay and Android Auto. Not sure how many of these were included in the standard model, if any

I thought given the weight of the batteries that it would either wallow or be too firm, but Toyota have hit a sweet balance. It’s not going to win any prizes for handling but it handles a helluva lot better than our Kuga, and strangely, given the Corolla vs Kuga ride height, it rides so much better too. A lot more comfy, and deals with potholes much better

My biggest bugbear with Japanese autos is their fondness for CVT gearboxes but on this car it’s absolutely no issue. Because the car is so quiet anyway, and there is a noise reducing windscreen, there are times when I can tell the petrol engine is running only by glancing at the rev counter to be sure. It probably  helps that because the engine is switched off for significant periods of time that I’ve just learned to detach the “rubber band” feeling from the engine note

So, the big one – fuel economy. Would taking a 1.8 hybrid in the motorway for long stretches really just be like driving a 1.8 petrol with an extra couple of passengers that you couldn’t eject?

No. My economy, after a handful of long motorway runs and also rat run commutes, is 63 mpg. The official figure is in the high 50’s. I’m beating the official figures and I haven’t even started trying yet! Any Corolla owners here that can confirm this? Or am I getting a false reading?

Anyway, I don’t want to carry on singing it’s praises too highly – Toyota might read this and  decide to increase their prices in Q2, when we’re due to order

But seriously, this is a fantastic car, solid build quality, good looking, fast enough for most, economical, smooooooooth and just really easy to drive

It has won over a hardened hybrid sceptic

Viewing 19 replies - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #148414 Reply
    John

I think the only difference with the GR is the body and interior styling.  Everything else is the same as all the other 2.0.  It lacks a couple of bits the Excel has. Like the power boot lid and as far as I can tell the smart key.   But how old the data from Toyota is I cant say.   I was told that the car is due at the dealers on 24th May. Which is great.  I will follow up with this, when I have driven it for a few miles.   I used to own a 3.5 ltr SLK but my needs have changed.  Plus. its pretty pointless owning a high performance car.  Other than the posing lol.   You cant use its potential legally. Or run the risk of a fine or worse.  My current 1.6 turbo Tucson in sport mode is enough to make you think twice about driving like a loony.   I am 77 now so I am no longer a boy pacer 🙂

#148450 Reply
    Richard

Aircon uses 8-10% extra fuel when the compressor is running which is not 100% of the time you have the aircon on, this is overall less than the cost of opening a window which more often than not is the alternative. Even in colder times aircon helps esp with keeping windows demised with lower humidity which is why advice is to leave it on auto.

Also not using aircon for extended periods means the pag oil isn’t circulated which can lead to premature pump wear and potentially leaves any moisture in the pipes to sit in one spot & start rotting the system from the inside out.

In short best way to keep overall lower running costs is to regularly use the aircon.

#154185 Reply
    John

Wthan the ell I feel rather let down by Toyota.  Car was supposed to be with the dealer on Monday 24th May.  Then it was going to be today 28th or tomorrow.   Now I find out that it wont be until the end of June at the earliest.  All due to Toyota upgrading and changing the model number.  No pricing as yet set.  The problem is.  As its a change of model number. Motability may require a higher advance. Or they may withdraw the model if the pricing pushes it over their ceiling.   I have had to accept one in a different colour than the Scarlet Flare I wanted. The dealer has one in stock. In Ash Grey.  So I have settled for this one.   With a hoist fitted the advance payment is just under £3000.  I did not want to be landed with a higher advance payment.  It has taken the shine off the deal to some extent, especially when the only upgrade is to fit the smart entry system.  Seems to me its a crafty way Toyota can up the price.  Serve them right if Motability drop the higher spec models.

#154186 Reply
    John

Excuse the first few words.  My PC has a habit of moving the cursor while I am typing  It should read  “Well I feel”.

#154894 Reply
    FiestaRed

Can any of you Corolla Sports Touring owners tell me if your cars have USB ports please?

As I’ve been told I can have an early cancellation, I’m seriously thinking of swopping my Astra Sports Tourer for the Corolla. The Astra no longer has a CD unit so all my music is now stored on a USB stick.

#154974 Reply
    joss

Can any of you Corolla Sports Touring owners tell me if your cars have USB ports please? As I’ve been told I can have an early cancellation, I’m seriously thinking of swopping my Astra Sports Tourer for the Corolla. The Astra no longer has a CD unit so all my music is now stored on a USB stick.

You could have a read of this thread on the Toyota forums re USB if that helps

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#155072 Reply
    FiestaRed

Thanks for the help Joss. There seems to be two USB ports but one is for charging only.

#155089 Reply
    joss

You’re welcome FR, that is what I read. Basically the same as my BMW X2. One is located in cubby hole just behind the iDrive and the second is located at the rear of the centre arm rest for rear passengers. I use that one for phone charging, while the first one i use for my USB drive for music.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#155128 Reply
    Marc
    Participant

Can any of you Corolla Sports Touring owners tell me if your cars have USB ports please? As I’ve been told I can have an early cancellation, I’m seriously thinking of swopping my Astra Sports Tourer for the Corolla. The Astra no longer has a CD unit so all my music is now stored on a USB stick.

I have a Corolla 1800 GR Sport estate, there are two usb ports, one on the lower dash board between the glove box and the centre console and one underneath the arm rest inside the storage box, there is also a 12v power outlet there. Be aware only the dashboard one has data to play music on the cars head unit, the on under the armrest is power only for charging.

If you put a standard size usb stick into the dashboard port it will stick out into the front passengers knee room and will likely get damaged, have a look for a sandisk cruzer fit usb which will be a better option. That said the Toyota media player is not the best, on my old SEAT Leon music was on an SD card with the album covers displayed on the head unit, then swipe left or right to click on a album of your choice to play that album. With the Toyota it just displays folders a bit like browsing the usb stick on a windows computer and can’t really be used while driving, you can use voice commands though.

Other options for music are bluetooth connection or if you have music on a phone then apple car play or android auto.

I know I’ve said the media system is not the best but I’m very pleased with the rest of the car, if you are interested in the corolla estate then have a look at the Suzuki Swace, it’s on the scheme with the top spec SZ5 1.8 Estate £1,499 AP PIP against top spec Corolla Excel 1.8 Estate £2,295 AP PIP, the Swace is literally a Corolla with a Suzuki badge on. I think some of the specs are different but you can download the price lists and specs from the websites to compare the specs. I think the Suzuki’s only come as estates and 1.8 hybrid engines.

#155131 Reply
    Marc
    Participant

Spot the difference

Toyota Corolla.

#155132 Reply
    Marc
    Participant

Suzuki Swace

#155135 Reply
    FiestaRed

Thanks for the help Marc and thank you for the info on the Suzuki Swace, one I’ve never heard of before.

#155137 Reply
    Marc
    Participant

Thanks for the help Marc and thank you for the info on the Suzuki Swace, one I’ve never heard of before.

No problem, it looks like the Suzuki could be the best option AP wise, but you’ll need to check the specs, the Suzuki is actually made by Toyota in Derbyshire at the same plant as the Corolla the only difference as far as I’m aware is the front bumper, and spec wise where Suzuki must have told Toyota how to spec the car.

#155191 Reply
    FiestaRed
    Participant

After having had my test drive this morning and returning home really pleased with the car, I go on the Toyota website only to discover it was a 2.0 litre engined car they sent me out in not the 1.8 litre one I had requested.

There were paddle shifters at the back of the steering wheel so I checked what they were for but learned they were only fitted to 2.0 litre models.

Feeling a bit peed off right now.

#155193 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Getting a bit confused between this thread and the Driving and Auto’ one. However, you say, above, you are going for the 1.8 Icon model which seems to have an AP of £245; the 2.0L Icon is only £595. Thought I’d mention it because the 2.0L is buried down in the 1.8L bit and you might have missed it.

#155194 Reply
    FiestaRed

@Tharg It’s the GR Sport Sports Tourer I wanted and there is quite a bit of difference between the 1.8 and 2.0 litre on the AP.

#155195 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Getting a bit confused between this thread and the Driving and Auto’ one. However, you say, above, you are going for the 1.8 Icon model which seems to have an AP of £245; the 2.0L Icon is only £595. Thought I’d mention it because the 2.0L is buried down in the 1.8L bit and you might have missed it.

I think he wants the sport version ?

BBC Breakfast expert, Toyota CHR driver.

#155198 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Sorry, folks. Misread the original post. Too hot. Brain not working rite! 🥵

#155199 Reply
    Marc
    Participant

The GR Sport sports tourer is a good choice, the heads up display is very good, it’s a must have for me moving forward.

Viewing 19 replies - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
Reply To: Toyota Corolla Touring Sports
Your information: