Toyota Corolla advice needed ?

• Creator
    Topic
  • #129787 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

My Toyota dealer told me the Corolla was too low for me to get in and a test drive would be a waste of time ? I had a test drive in the higher CHR and loved it but I saw a lovely brand new silver Toyota Corolla icon yesterday in carpark and didn’t look lower than my VW Golf ?  Is the hatch back a low car to get in to I know Elliot on here had one any advice most welcome thankyou

BBC Breakfast expert, VW Golf driver.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #129790 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

Hi Mike, I struggle to get in and out of low cars but never had any difficulty with the Corolla. The only problem I had was a numb bum from the poor seats but it was the basic model and I presume the better spec’d ones have better seats. Test drive one as I’m sure you will be impressed. I preferred it over the CH-R which I’ve also driven. Personally I would go with the 2.0l version but that’s really down to personal taste. My biggest gripe was the awful CVT gearbox.

#129792 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Elliot Thankyou for the reply I can get in and out my golf easy and to me the Corolla looks no lower in height ? When I go back to order in January I will have test drive

#129793 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

I’m sure the drivers seat can be raised anyway like in my Golf ?

#129794 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

Yes it can Mike. The problem with the seat was it was just too hard for long journeys, anything more than 50 miles was just too uncomfortable.

#129812 Reply
    alan1302
    Participant

Sounds like you need a better dealer – if you can get in and out of car only you will know by trying it.

#129827 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

I will indeed Alan

#129839 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

What an arse, how does he know what you are and are not capable of, very close to discrimination, if that had been said to me I would have told him where he could stick his biased opinion and gone elsewhere after complaining to dealer principal.

#129852 Reply
    rox
    Participant

My civic is lower than my golf was and the only real issue is when i park kerbside, so i make sure my door is always roadside if i can.

Proper rude though of the dealer, although i dunno maybe you told him something that made himythink there would be an issue. why not try them all? you tested the yaris and the ch-r already. Deffo though i would get the design trim over the icon. Did look at excel back last year but was just to small compared to the golf for us.. So never bothered test driving it. It was before covid and you could sit in one and the rear space and door access ain’t practical for us.. seen a few on my travels now though, do like the looks.

#129853 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Yes the Yaris was too noisy the Chr I loved but the Corolla looks so fab imho so will have a test drive when the dealer opens !

#129855 Reply
    rox
    Participant

The other thing was the differences between the 2.ol and 1.8l. The 2.ol has the battery in the boot and Hybrid vehicle battery: Capacity Ah (hr) 3.6 for 1.8l, Hybrid vehicle battery: Capacity Ah (hr) 6.5 for the 2.0l.

The fuel comsumpion of the 2.ol is only slightly lower but also the electic can run at higher speeds than the 1.8l is a very intresting one.. Same top speeds but 2.0l is 3 seconds faster to 0-62 (mph) at 7.9 secs..

but it’s the difference in the ev mode in the 2 engines i think it’s one to look at in more detail..

#129856 Reply
    solent60
    Participant

Yes the Yaris was too noisy the Chr I loved but the Corolla looks so fab imho so will have a test drive when the dealer opens !

lol. How long have I been telling you about the stunning looking Corolla Mike – especially in 2.0 GR Sport guise?!?!

#129858 Reply
    rox
    Participant

only problem with the 2.ol is the boot.

although you do get the false floor and the battery is underneath. should of raised it up and took a pic.

#129859 Reply
    rox
    Participant

found a pic

#129874 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

I love the icon tec in silver love the matching alloys 

#129875 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

£649 1.8 hybrid or CHR design £995 with keyless etc

#129876 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

Have you seen the bi-tone GR sport model Mike.

#129878 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Looks fab Elliot

#129891 Reply
    Mike11

I’m afraid to ask the notability man for a test drive of the Corolla what shall I say ? I’ve had a 2 hour test drive in the Yaris and chr

#129907 Reply
    rox
    Participant

Tell him you thought about it and you still want to test drive the corrolla.

I get you like the wheels but the icon trim is the lowest trim level and sometimes it’s also about what’s inside the car not what’s on the outside.

So that’s another thing i’d want to see the difference in the trims and especially the seats. What trims did you have the test drives in, As pretty much every test drive i ever done for all my cars on the scheme was not the exact trim i was getting.. Although i did get to sit in and look at a comparable trim and check them over before i made a final decsion. I did have to go to a different toyota dealer to see the 2.ol.

Ultimately it’s down to you mike, all we can do is suggest stuff that may help one make an informed choice and it’s never easy.

#129908 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

I would definitely not recommend the Icon trim.

#129910 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Rox I had a 2 hour test drive in the CHR 1.8 hybrid Design which is currently £995 with park assist keyless folding mirrors etc etc I really did love it was so quiet and very economical I will see what prices are January 1st I have 5 Toyota dealers not far from where I live

#129911 Reply
    rox
    Participant

Plus mike I don’t think the icon tech has the Heated, Power-adjustable & Manually retractable door mirrors

#129912 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

I cannot move my fingers so keyless is so handy for me

#129918 Reply
    rox
    Participant

Not 100% sure but looks like on the corrolla keyless entry is only the excel trim..

#129921 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

I think it is Rox

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
Reply To: Toyota Corolla advice needed ?
Your information: