Towing a Caravan with a Motability car

• Creator
    Topic
  • #29577 Reply
    blueclouduk
    Participant

I have towed caravans and trailers with my last three Motabilty cars.

The RAC even offered a “towing-top-up” for Motability customers wanting to extend breakdown coverage when a caravan or trailer is attached.

In March this year, I called and arranged a towing-top-up.  At the time, I didn’t know for certain that I was driving abroad so I paid the £40 extra and left it.

Earlier this week, I called again to extend the coverage for mainland Europe.  However, I was told that the towing-top-up extension has been removed from the cover offered to Motability customers.  I was not able to pay another £20-30 to extend the coverage.

The option was removed at the end of March.

There are not any plans to reintroduce the towing-top-ups.

I called Motability and they informed me that any extra breakdown cover would need to be a private arrangement.  In other words, “Tough luck matey, we’re not doing owt about it.”

I have spent the last few days trying to find decent cover for taking the caravan abroad.  The best price I found was via, [drum roll please] the RAC!  However, it has meant that I had to buy full European breakdown cover for the car and caravan.  No one offers pure caravan cover.  The other downside is that this only covers mainland Europe.  When my existing UK towing-top-up expires next March, I will have to buy another package just to tow around Blighty.

Please be reassured that I’m not having a rant [maybe a little dummy spit] as it is my choice to tow a caravan.  However, I do feel that someone at the RAC and/or Motability has just found another way to screw more money from conscientious drivers.

Viewing 22 replies - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #29581 Reply
    Ish
    Participant

Rant away, we don’t mind here. Unfortunately I know nothing about towing a caravan or what cover is involved.

#29585 Reply
    Joe London

Could it be that they are paving the way for all electric vehicles on the scheme, can EVs tow a caravan?

I think a Mitsubishi Outlander Phev, could…

#29588 Reply
    Andy
    Participant

That’s a great shame, I got the towing top up in mid March, so was obviously very lucky! Looks like next March I will have to go back to Green Flag, which is a lot more expensive 🙁
    Can’t help feeling that things are going to get more and more expensive for us, and am certainly not sure there will be a suitable tow car available next time we change.

#29696 Reply
    HoneyMonster
    Participant

It seems to depend on getting through to correct department at RAC which is not ideal. As i got the full RAC arrival package organised, Also a prerequisite was being a member of the camping and caravan club. The contact number i used is 0330 1590382 ask for caravan upgrade to motability cover, cost for me was £56 per year for full UK and European cover and this gave me the RAC Arrival Cover for the year.

#29953 Reply
    Frank Smith

I tried the above number and spoke to a very nice girl named Millie.  Every question I asked she had to refer to someone else.  I’m not  a member of the Camping and Caravan Club but she said she could give me free membership in order to cover the ‘van whilst towing in France.  As above, I would have to take out UK cover, triplicating what I already  have (i.e. Motability RAC and AA via my bank account). After a long wait Millie came up with a quote of £174.  I mentioned that HoneyMonster was quoted £56 (I didn’t mention him by name!).  She then said that she had entered the wrong code and came back with a quote of £174.  I pointed out that this was the same as the previous quote.  She said, ‘Oh.’  I said, ‘No way’.  In the end I went for Green Flag, one off trip for £74.  They seem to offer good cover for the money.

#31372 Reply
    HoneyMonster
    Participant

I phoned them yesterday to see if any clarity on this subject. The response i got was they are currently reviewing the situation. I know this is no good for any people requiring the cover just now. But at least it is not a complete no it is not returning. As i am a member of both clubs if it is not available next year, I would be taking out camping club Mayday cover for £72 for UK as no foreign trip planned next year.

#35025 Reply
    Lew JACK

I received a letter from RAC today (10/11/17) advising that my Caravan Upgrade Breakdown Cover will not be available to me at renewal date (16/01/18). The letter went on to advise that the rest of my breakdown cover (RAC Motability Assist) will not be affected by this change. I am a member of The Caravan & Motorhome Club.

In order that I ensure appropriate, adequate breakdown cover for me & my wife to tow our caravan and to give us total peace of mind, I feel that I have little choice but to use Arrival. Motability does not permit breakdown assistance or recovery of my vehicle by any company other than RAC. As I am not a member, RAC will provide FREE membership of The C & C Club for the first year. It makes a bitter & expensive pill a little easier to swallow.

#35038 Reply
    Andy
    Participant

Lew JACK I got the same letter yesterday, my cover runs out in March. I was going to go back to greenflag as I am a member of the caravan club (or CMC as it is now known) but maybe I should give RAC a call first to clarify things and see if they will also give me the free membership of the C & C.
    It’s annoying, as Arrival is so much more expensive than greenflag, and a whole lot more expensive than the top up insurance we previously had!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Andy.
    #35040 Reply
    Lew JACK

Noted Andy. I spoke to Green Flag this morning & was quoted £103 for car & caravan breakdown – they don’t cover a caravan on its own. However, the advisor made it clear that should my Motability vehicle breakdown whilst towing, call the RAC. If the caravan breaks down, call Green Flag. I accept this is not an ideal situation/ solution but it is certainly the least expensive option. Check the link to RAC breakdown as printed on your letter and you will find that the cost of joining Arrival is not far off £200 & that doesn’t include the ‘at home’ breakdown.

I also spoke to Motability operations and have been advised the following:

“If Motability vehicle  breaks down with caravan in tow & can’t be fixed at roadside, RAC will tow both to destination of choice”.

I have an SMS text from the advisor which I will save/store for future reference.

Please don’t take all of the above as ‘unconfirmed fact’ – do your own investigation for your own peace of mind.

I’m going to go with Green Flag and being loyal to The CAMC.

#57525 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

In May 2017 we signed up to the Mobility scheme we have always towed a caravan and been with Mayday (Greenflag) for years.

However, after reading post on the internet only RAC can recover a mobility car?, if that is the case I will need to buy the full RAC Arrival @ £149.99 as opposed to my Mayday £103.00 ?

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#57538 Reply
    mitch

its all just a conspiracy to get caravans off the road lol.

#57654 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

RAC have temporally reinstated caravan Arrival cover £40.00 per year, I have just upgraded mine.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#57658 Reply
    Newfie
    Participant

I am sure all you touring caravaner’s are aware that the caravan is covered for towing only if the fault lies with the vehicle under the Motability RAC scheme.

If any thing is wrong with the caravan well that is  where you will need the Arrival scheme.

The maximum weights and dimensions for a caravan on all the RAC schemes are.

Max Weight           Max Length Max       Width Max           Height
    (gross)                    7.0 metres                     2.55 metres        3.0 metres
    3.5 tonnes             (23ft) including            (8ft 4in)              (9ft 8in)
    tow bar

VW Tiguan SEL 2.0TDi 150 DSG 4Motion
    in White Silver, '68plate

#119842 Reply
    Darren Matthew Brittle

Hi I’m due for a mobility car change this year and i need one too tow a caravan preferably 1500kg + but all I’m being offered with automatic is lots of 1lt rubbish or 1.5ltr or hybrids which I’ve no idea about the towing with them at all any help at all would be appreciated

#119846 Reply
    Andy
    Participant

Hi I’m due for a mobility car change this year and i need one too tow a caravan preferably 1500kg + but all I’m being offered with automatic is lots of 1lt rubbish or 1.5ltr or hybrids which I’ve no idea about the towing with them at all any help at all would be appreciated

You’ll need to look at bigger cars such as the 2L Tiguan, Tiguan Allspace, Seat Terraco etc preferably in diesel form.

#119849 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

We recently changed car from a Ford Kuga 2.0 powershift to a  Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV it tow’s our 1500 kg caravan with no problems at all with virtually identical fuel consumption, as long as you remember to use charge mode when towing and it will be fine.

Other PHEV option suitable for towing Skoda Superb PHEV and Toyota RAV4 hybrid (the 4 wheel drive model only)

I have just done a quick search and car find 84 automatic car plus the one I mentioned above which are capable of towing your caravan.

Unfortunately if you want to tow a caravan financially you will have to take the hit, remember to ask Motability permission and their Insurance company RSA before going ahead. RSA will insist the caravan is both serviced and fully insured.

#119850 Reply
    Darren Matthew Brittle

We recently changed car from a Ford Kuga 2.0 powershift to a  Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV it tow’s our 1500 kg caravan with no problems at all with virtually identical fuel consumption, as long as you remember to use charge mode when towing and it will be fine.

Other PHEV option suitable for towing Skoda Superb PHEV and Toyota RAV4 hybrid (the 4 wheel drive model only)

I have just done a quick search and car find 84 automatic car plus the one I mentioned above which are capable of towing your caravan.

Unfortunately if you want to tow a caravan financially you will have to take the hit, remember to ask Motability permission and their Insurance company RSA before going ahead. RSA will insist the caravan is both serviced and fully insured.

thankyou thankyou 😀

#119968 Reply
    martino

Why have they taken off caravan cover , if you had a van and the car broke down and they need to tow the van who the just lease the van

#121234 Reply
    Kerry

Mobility car to tow light caravan.

Honda CRV 1.5

#121255 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

ban all caravans.

solves the problem all round lol.

#121282 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

ban all caravans. solves the problem all round lol.

Why

#121284 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

Mobility car to tow light caravan. Honda CRV 1.5

The Honda CRV 1.5 Auto will tow 1500kg the manual version will tow 2000kg, we meet a gentleman on the caravan site towing a newish Swift Conqueror 480 with the CRV 1.5 automatic, he has had Honda CRV’s for years, the new 1.5 petrol tows as well.

Viewing 22 replies - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
Reply To: Towing a Caravan with a Motability car
Your information: