Total Lunar Eclipse (morning of 16th May)

• Creator
    Topic
    kezo
    Participant

Early hours on Monday 16th May there will be a total lunar eclipse. For the nocturnal amongst us and the early birds here’s the timeline.

03:27 – The Moon enters the umbra, the darker part of the Earth’s shadow. This will be more noticeable than the penumbra. At this point, the Moon will also be starting to take on a reddish appearance.

04:29 – The total eclipse begins as the Moon takes on a becomes completely reddish in appearance. At this point, the Moon is also heading toward the horizon, which is why having a good view of the south-western horizon is important.

05:11 – This is the point of greatest eclipse, when the Moon is closest to the centre of the shadow cast by the Earth. However, the Moon is now very close to the horizon and depending on your vantage point, it may be tricky to actually spot the eclipse any further. A bright full Moon can be spotted in these circumstances when it’s near to the horizon, but an eclipsed Moon will be difficult to see.

05:21 – At this point, the Moon will set but there’s a strong possibility that it may already be lost from view.

For those in Wales make the most of this opportunity because the next total lunar eclipse visible from Wales won’t be until March 14, 2025.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      ajn

Thanks kezo, my sleep pattern is not too good, so I will keep a look out, also anything of interest up there, I/we share on a Family chat in messages through our phones, screen shot and posted your findings,  ended up with questions I had no answer 😂, however brought lots of smiles across our messages…

kezo
        Participant

Thanks kezo, my sleep pattern is not too good, so I will keep a look out, also anything of interest up there, I/we share on a Family chat in messages through our phones, screen shot and posted your findings, ended up with questions I had no answer 😂, however brought lots of smiles across our messages…

I just realized I missed a bit when copied and paste and for some reason can’t edit my post. It actually starts just after 0230 🙂

02:32 – The penumbral phase of the eclipse commences as the lunar surface enters the outer part of the Earth’s shadow. This part of the eclipse may well be difficult to spot at first but as the Moon moves deeper into the shadow the transition will become more and more apparent. Keep an eye on the western limb of the Moon for the shadow moving across the lunar surface.

More details here @ajn

https://www.countytimes.co.uk/news/20137812.total-lunar-eclipse-may-2022-blood-moon-date-time-watch/

ajn

Ahh hahhh all questions answered there kezo 👍  🌎🌕

kezo
            Participant

Ahh hahhh all questions answered there kezo 👍 🌎🌕

More details here @ajn and NASA will be doing a live stream if you are sleeping or the weather turns cloudy which is expected.

ajn

Thanks for the update Kezo, 19.45 was our cut off time for a night out in the bivvy,(fishing tent) & a bbq..

Bloody weather pain in the rear…

ajn

During a meteor shower lol

ajn

Well I can see the moo that’s a start 

ajn

Nope no luck Kezo, started raining with 2 mins to go, cloud cover through out… maybe next time

kezo
                      Participant

Yes it got rather cloudy with some heavy rain, so that put pay to it.

However here is the consolation prize 🙂

https://moon.nasa.gov/news/173/livestream-the-eclipse/

We went up to the Brecon Beacons beginning of the month to get a glimpse of the Eta Acuariids

https://www.sciencefocus.com/space/when-is-the-next-meteor-shower-in-the-uk/

ajn

Great seems you enjoy this stuff, not all lost went fishing afterwards caught 2 pike not massive but almost one after another..

ajn

Oh yeah forgot, Thanks for the links too..

kezo
                            Participant

Great seems you enjoy this stuff, not all lost went fishing afterwards caught 2 pike not massive but almost one after another..

Yes I enjoy stargazing for one of better words and have done for the past 43yrs since I lost my Nan who I was very close too. I have always said I would get a decent telescope but never go round to it or had other things I needed to spend my money on. I also like standing at the window during thunderstorms and watching the lightning.

I have never been interested in fishing but like looking at what others have caught 🙂

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.